Gransnet forums

Chat

Going somewhere nice?

(93 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:37:16

It really annoys me, when I tell someone I am about to go on holiday and they ask “ going anywhere nice?”
Of course I hope where I am going will be “ nice”!
I usually answer “ I hope so”, and get a mystified look.
Any other good answers?
I suspect they are being a bit snobbish and think certain places are “ nicer” than others.
I suppose it is less blunt than asking outright, Where are you going?

Norah Sun 14-Jul-19 21:20:28

Gillybob grin smile wink

Day6 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:40:32

Snap Petra. The Trevi Fountain in Rome was surrounded by hordes of people/tourists AND lots of big-booted policemen with guns and truncheons who had no idea about customer relations! What with them blowing their whistles and yelling and getting aggressive and people telling us to beware of pick-pockets (who so obviously operated in the area), our holiday was a huge disappointment! Didn't really see the beauty of the fountain at all. The film Roman Holiday is a MUCH better way to see Rome! grin

I am another who is starting to hate the whole airport experience. I am often longing to be home when I am away. This is a new thing. I don't go to the hairdresser often so when she says "Going anywhere nice?" (this weekend) I usually say "No, I just want my hair cut." I could tell her about the Trevi Fountain I suppose.

Cabbie21 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:46:55

Actually the first time I was aware of this question was when it came from someone who is forever going off to exotic places, and she did turn her nose up when my reply was We are going to Devon. So the association with being a snobbish question has stuck.
I will try not to take it as anything other than a conversational question, except from that particular person.

GreenGran78 Sun 14-Jul-19 22:51:27

It’s not really such a good idea to broadcast that your house is going to be unoccupied for a week or two. It never ceases to amaze me how many advertise the fact on Facebook.

Why not just put a sign on your front door saying ‘burglars welcome!’

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jul-19 23:00:36

I'm not that bothered about going away, really.
Its all the piddling around you have to do to get anywhere that puts me off.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 23:10:43

.....and the packing!?

MissAdventure Sun 14-Jul-19 23:17:59

And all the washing when you get back home.

DaisyDoo51 Mon 15-Jul-19 06:55:33

'Going anywhere nice this year' , bit of conversation stopper 'No Ive not been on holiday since 1998' thats the end of that convo ! then normally get 'About time you went then' or just Oh Dear ! ..LOL

granny4hugs Mon 15-Jul-19 07:15:36

You are really over-thinking this. I say it all the time, or similar. Going on holiday aint the big thing it used to be. Folk are flinging themselves around the planet all the time, polluting the air and the oceans in order to speed up their chances of getting skin cancer. If your friend is anything like me 'going anywhere nice?' is short hand for 'I really don't give a "£*(%&")^@:' please change the subject...

singingnutty Mon 15-Jul-19 08:40:28

There are so many places in the British Isles I haven't visited that I'm not bothered about exotic holidays. We are Holiday Property Bondholders so if we go outside the UK it's usually to one of their sites. Two memorable holidays (not HPB) were in Shetland and Outer Hebrides.

Margs Mon 15-Jul-19 11:40:12

Next time just tell 'em "yes, I'm going to Bloody Hell and back!".

That should sort 'em......

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 11:41:42

Oh I go there every weekday Margs grin

123kitty Mon 15-Jul-19 11:42:47

I can't imagine why this would be considered a snobbish question- surely this is how we carry on conversations with others.

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 12:12:49

Although we are fortunate enough to go away on lovely foreign holidays I also really enjoy days out here.

We live in such a beautiful country don't we, and I would guarantee that wherever anyone lives, there would be somewhere wonderful to visit not too far away.

For instance National Trust membership is not expensive, and it opens up some really stunning houses and gardens to wander around. You only have to visit 3 or 4 properties in a year to break even cost wise. They have properties all over the country of course.

Then of course there is the tea room/restaurant. grin

glynis1234 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:18:59

When I was young, kids said we are going to our gate. I’ve been to my gate for the last 6 years. Really must paint it now.

Callistemon Tue 16-Jul-19 18:19:51

I thought for a while when I was a child that it was somewhere called Aregate!!

toscalily Tue 16-Jul-19 19:13:50

Surely the simple way to avoid this question is to say "I am going on holiday to - wherever it is" ?