Gransnet forums

Chat

I know it’s not the end of the world but ....

(109 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 13-Jul-19 15:46:59

When I got back from food shopping today I unpacked my bags put everything away had a bite to eat then went to get something out my purse and it’s not anywhere I have hunted high and lo even looking in the fridge and food cupboards in case I d absentmindedly put it there asi unpacked. Nothing.. I rang the store I only went to the one, nothing handed in I ve cancelled my cards so until Monday I don’t have a penny in the house doesn't that feel bad (no one had tried to use the card) I m really sad as my railcard was in my purse and I ve got some travelling to do next week when two grandkids arrive
I keep going over and over my kitchen and shopping bags as I felt convinced I d zipped it in my bag when I finished shopping of course I took £50 cashback when I paid for my goods, sods law isn’t it
I know it’s not the end of the world but I feel tearful ?

sodapop Sat 13-Jul-19 21:18:38

Only just got back and seen this BlueBelle that must have been upsetting for you. The thought of all the hassle with the bank etc.
So glad its turned up, those damned gremlins at it again.

tanith Sat 13-Jul-19 21:36:04

Ooh good news for a change.

Nandalot Sat 13-Jul-19 21:45:31

Brilliant news. So pleased you found it.

Calendargirl Sat 13-Jul-19 22:24:10

???

DanniRae Sat 13-Jul-19 23:12:57

smile

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 23:17:00

I’m so relieved BlueBelle I was stressing for you ! smile

Nice to hear something good . x

Jane10 Sun 14-Jul-19 07:40:15

Wow! So glad to hear the dratted thing was playing games with you but has now given itself up. What a relief!

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 07:46:31

Yay!

BlueBelle Sun 14-Jul-19 07:50:07

Thanks so much everyone I still can’t explain it except a chapter of ‘must haves’ I do remember wrestling for my keys out of the zipped up bit as they were a big tangled inside I can only presume it fell out (I live on a main road so the traffic would prevent me hearing it) then as I gathered up my bags I can only think my foot pushed it, as my cupboard is right by the front door and the cupboard door is often open it must have slid to the back of the cupboard That’s all I can come up with but obviously although I hunted for 8 hours I never looked in that cupboard
What a to do eh yes pain waiting for the cards but I had to cancel as two hours had already passed when I realised it was missing
What a silly bxxxer I am eh

Jaycee5 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:54:14

Its a real pain. I keep my cards in separate card wallets now after having to replace them all once and my money in a coin purse. I would have to be very unlucky to lose them all.

nanamac77 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:54:23

I suggest that you ask a friend or two to search for your purse.
I once lost my house keys and knew that they had to be in the car or front garden. Toothcombed both. Nothing. Friend came and found them in the bin of garden rubbish, sitting on top. I had looked there!!

Lost hearing aid. Among other places i searched the car from top to bottom. Had to pay £100 for new one. Few weeks later took it into my head to really clean inside of car ( almost unheard of). Found hearing aid underneath part of the seatbelt which was resting on floor.

So get fresh eyes to look everywhere. Good luck!

inishowen Sun 14-Jul-19 10:55:37

I hope you have some luck after contacting the bus company. Years ago I lost my purse in the cinema. The next day the lady who sold the ice creams turned up at my house with the purse. My address was inside and she said she lived nearby. I've always appreciated her doing that.

nanamac77 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:55:59

aaagh. I seem to have missed the post that says you;ve found it! So glad for you

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jul-19 11:04:11

Bluebelle
This is of no consolation but you may and sincerely hope that you will find your purse where you least expected it to be. I have had this happen to myself, not concerning my purse, but one of the items I purchased on one of my shopping trips only to find I had put it where least expected.I hope this is what you will experience so don't give up.

Hm999 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:08:12

I left my debit card in the machine at little Tesco round the corner from DiL's, 2 hours away. Went back following week, it had been handed in. Maybe, Bluebelle, maybe... Fingers crossed.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jul-19 11:10:41

Bluebelle
That's a relief. I well know the feeling when you find what you thought you had lost.sunshine

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:10:43

That is brilliant Bluebelle. I too keep my cards in a separate metal box since my friend had her purse taken out of her bag in Waitrose.

Mauriherb Sun 14-Jul-19 11:19:35

So pleased you found it, who knows why we do odd things, probably thinking about something else.

GabriellaG54 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:36:07

BlueBelle
Sit down and go over your actions after reaching tbe checkout. Do you definitely know where it was when you paid for your items?
Do you definitely remember taking the card out of the machine and putting it back in your purse?
Can you envisage what you did next and all your actions when you are ed home?
Ring the shop and ask the manager to review any CCTV footage of you going in and exiting and possibly who was behind you at the checkout.
Do that right now and explain that you have informed the police and have a crime number.
It's imperative to get CCTV footage before it's wiped and re-used.
Good luck.

GabriellaG54 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:38:03

Oooh...so glad you found it. grin

knspol Sun 14-Jul-19 11:44:12

You're right it's not the end of the world but still dreadfully upsetting and I think most of us would be tearful in the circumstances especially as you'd drawn out the extra cash and were going to travel next week not to mention the hassle of replacing everything. Do agree that it might be worth calling both the shop and the bus company another day just in case, you never know.

Esmerelda Sun 14-Jul-19 11:49:34

Why don't people read the thread, particularly updates from the OP, before weighing in with their out of date comments/advice?

Lilyflower Sun 14-Jul-19 11:50:42

If you read the other thread on Gransnet about reminding a till operator of some unrung items you will see that many, if not mos, people are decent and honest. It will be worth contacting the police and the shop concerned to see if anyone found the purse as there is a good chance it would have been handed in if found.

DanniRae Sun 14-Jul-19 11:55:37

Esmerelda - I so agree with you about people reading all the posts before they add theirs.

Evie64 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:03:52

What a relief! Hooray!