Gransnet forums

Chat

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me

(107 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Tue 16-Jul-19 10:25:46

Well this morning i got up put my tights on and they felt a bit loose so in my wisdom decided to put a pair of pants over them
Fast forward to sainsburys I'm stood looking at a shelf and try and turn round to get back to my trolley , and i fell over , a bit flustered i stood up and looked down to see what i had fallen over , to my horror the extra pair of knickers had made an impromptu appearance round my ankles , luckily the assistant was lovely
But i have never felt more mortified when i had to reach down take them off and stick them in my handbag
I left very quickly after
Am i the only one these things happen to ?

Rufus2 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:05:03

my thong was really annoying me, so I took it off and put it in my handbag
You mean to say you managed to walk about wearing only one thong? You must have felt unbalanced! grin

Jeanlizzie Tue 16-Jul-19 13:14:15

Thanks goodness its not just me all my knickers are now in the bin and will be venturing out to buy some well away from sainsburys
Thanks all for the laugh i feel so much better

SueDonim Tue 16-Jul-19 13:14:37

Years ago, before I was even married, I was out with my now-dh on a day trip in the country when I desperately needed a wee. No loos anywhere so I had to go al fresco. I found a large bush(!) as cover but failed to take into account it was on a steepish slope.

All of a sudden, I lost my balance while squatting and tumbled down the incline, knickers and tights round ankles, and through a variety of thorn bushes and other flora, coming to a stop on a stony ledge near the roadside and passing traffic. My white tights were torn to shreds and I was covered in scratches and bruises!

Having ascertained that only my dignity was hurt, now-dh laughed like a drain. Reader, I still married him! grin

PS. It was rather awkward explaining my injuries at work on the following Monday!

Glammy57 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:19:17

GabriellaG. ?

Glammy57 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:20:57

Rufus2 you’re getting confused with flip flops!

fizzers Tue 16-Jul-19 14:25:37

a pair of knickers fell out of the leg of my jeans.... mortified

Septimia Tue 16-Jul-19 15:05:09

My grandmother told of seeing a woman step out of the knickers that had fallen round her ankles - perhaps no quite so obvious in the days of long skirts. She also told about seeing a woman stand over a drain (long skirt again) and have a pee.
My embarrassing moment was when a pair of hold-up stockings insisted on descending while I was out shopping. It wasn't so much the increasing Norah Batty effect as the tops of them beginning to peek out from below the hem of my skirt. Should have worn a long one - hides a multitude of sins!

Deedaa Tue 16-Jul-19 15:40:43

It didn't happen to me but to a friend of mine. It was back in the 60s when tights had only just come in and we weren't certain what to do with them. Most of us wore them under our knickers. We were in a pub and my friend went off to the loo. A few minutes later she came waddling back looking very uncomfortable. She had pulled her knickers down but completely forgotten she was wearing tights as well! I'm afraid we all laughed.

Greenfinch Tue 16-Jul-19 15:43:12

grin

willa45 Tue 16-Jul-19 16:29:53

Years ago, when sheer 'pantyhose' was standard issue, I misplaced a pair that ended up with the rest of the wash, hidden inside a pair of pants.

I was shopping at the food store a few days later, when I noticed the familiar piece of hose peeking out from under the right hem of my pants.
In retrospect, I should have made a quick run to the ladies lounge, but instead I hid behind a column and gave it a quick tug expecting to gather it all after one or two pulls.

To my everlasting horror, the wicked thing began to stretch....and stretch! Like a magician's scarf trick, the darn thing wouldn't finish coming out and the more I pulled, the more it stretched!!
Thankfully, the only one watching with astounded curiosity was a baby sitting in a shopping cart. I hastily stuffed as much as I could back up into my pants leg and hid the remainder inside my shoe. Mortified, I somehow hobbled back to the store exit, made it to my car and drove home as quickly as I could!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Jul-19 16:36:21

??????? I had tears of laughter. Thanks for sharing that jean

fairisle Tue 16-Jul-19 17:03:58

grin I`m guilty of leaving my knickers in my trousers.Left my home one morning wearing clean clothes walked down the path and i could feel something slipping down my leg...It was knickers!

Grannybags Tue 16-Jul-19 17:04:36

These have made me giggle!

My Mum told me her pants ended up round her ankles when she was out shopping and she just stepped out of them and carried on walking without missing a step!

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Jul-19 21:43:20

Rufus2
Talking about thongs reminds me of commentator Derek 'Tommo' Thompson at Aintree Grand National years ago, interviewing two young 'ladies' wearing very little, certainly no coats on what was a freezing day.
"Aren't you girls cold?" he asked, wrapped up as he was in overcoat scarf and gloves.
"Oh no" one of them trilled.
"Then how do you keep warm in those mini skirts?" persisted Tommo.
"A wur two thongs" she said confidently, in a heavy scouse accent.
"Ahhh"...DT said to camera, "There's no answer to that, is there?" ?

GrannyLiv Tue 16-Jul-19 21:58:46

I tried a top on, over my clothes, in a supermarket. The changing room was locked and aisle was quiet and not overlooked, so I thought it would be OK . When I tried to take it off over my head, it took my other top along with it and I ended up with both arms in the air and the tops stuck on my head, bra visible to all. Hubby thought this was all very funny and was a bit slow to come to the rescue!

Mossfarr Tue 16-Jul-19 22:23:08

I once went to the races in a beautiful very sheer dress. It only had very thin 'spaghetti' straps so was unable to wear a normal bra without ruining the look of the dress. I chose to wear the stick on type of strapless bra - you know, the ones that look like chicken fillets!
Well, it was an extremely hot day so I was 'gently perspiring' and the chicken fillets decided to gradually slip down my body! I was desperately trying to hold my glass of sparkly in one hand with my other arm pinned across my body at waist level to stop the little blighters flopping to the floor. My friends husband was extremely concerned and asked in a very loud voice if I was ok resulting in everyone turning to stare at me.
I managed to dash to the ladies and extract them but I was absolutely mortified. After a few more sparkly drinks I explained what had happened and we couldn't stop laughing. They still remind me every time we go to the races!

BradfordLass72 Tue 16-Jul-19 23:03:40

In the days when stockings were held up with suspenders on a belt, my suspenders broke and my stocking was descending.
I thought the answer was to nip into a nearby multi-story building, into the lift and press the button for the 15th floor, giving me adequate private time to repair this as I ascended.

However, the lift didn't go to the 15th floor but to one considerably lower and the lift door opened with a ping! causing everyone in the open-plan office to look at me, bent over and with skirt hiked up to my hips trying to fix my broken suspender.

I was a very vulnerable teenager and it caused me such angst. grin

DanniRae Wed 17-Jul-19 07:56:05

BL72 - gringrin

JackyB Wed 17-Jul-19 09:26:45

When I was 10 we went on a camping holiday to France. My prim and proper Aunt came, too.

She and I were shopping in Royan one day and, as we were waiting at a pedestrian crossing, the elastic in her slip gave and she turned bright red and was so flustered as the germolene-pink nylon garment dropped to the ground.

I never could understand what she was so embarrassed about - it wasn't as if there would be anyone in the vicinity who knew us!

And who wears a slip on a camping holiday anyway?

----

I really admire the lady described above who stepped out of her panties and walked regally on! And the nun who braved it out in front of a whole class! In that case, it was not as if she didn't know the people watching!

--

Oh - and I've just remembered another camping holiday in France - much later, as I was a mother myself and we were walking along a beach promenade with the kids. After swimming, I had just put on a wrapover top and a skirt, and was balancing along a wall with one of the boys.

I jumped off the wall when it ended and one of my boobs popped right out of the front of my top, much to the surprise of the young Dad with a child in tow coming at us from the other direction.

However, I didn't think it was worth being embarrassed - we didn't know each other and would never see each other again. I wonder if he still remembers?

mokryna Wed 17-Jul-19 09:44:39

Remember when you could buy disposable paper knickers, we were told they were good for holidays. Imagine 60's short dress sitting on a boat with water splashing on the seat and then having to climb up and over to disembark in the queue with dissolving pair for all to see .

Sulis Wed 17-Jul-19 09:51:03

In the 60 's I was at the Cromwell road air terminal to go to Heathrow to meet the plane which was bringing my Persian partner back to the U.k. after he had been visiting his parents. I was dresses to kill of course with the latest black and pink matching undies. I had to climb an open tread staircase. In that hall was a group of Japanese business men who were hovering about and oggling the dolly birds. Halfway up those stairs the elastic of my knickers went, and down they slid to my ankles. The only solution was to step out of them and stuff them in my handbag. It was only at that point that I noticed the Japanese group had moved to the bottom of the staircase and en masse were looking up!

Charleygirl5 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:00:26

When I was still working, I did not realise my skirt was tucked into my waist at the rear so I was walking along exposing my rear end at least covered with a pair of knickers. I got out of the tube and walked along a central London street when a fellow I worked with stopped me and explained what was on view.

Why one of my fellow travellers could not have had a quiet word I do not know.

I have tears running down my face reading these.

annifrance Wed 17-Jul-19 10:04:46

Back in the 70s I was at a dance wearing an evening dress with rushed top. Descending a couple of steps I trod on the hem and ping! The ruched top descended revealing a well filled push up bra.

Out with my boss one evening we came out of a restaurant on a slight incline. I dropped my handbag and all the contents fell out. Something rolled down the hill so he chased after it. Yup, you've guessed it, a tampon. Reader I married him, for a while.

Tampons seem to be my Armageddon. Twice I have managed to have one spill out of my handbag onto the rolling thingy at the supermarket checkout, always a teenage Saturday boy. Thank heavens for the menopause!

I often wore my swimmie under my clothes on my regular trip to the health centre. So many times I forgot my underwear and had to come home naked under my clothes.

Reading the above is this attention seeking or just carelessness?

Missiseff Wed 17-Jul-19 10:04:51

I'm confused to why you're wearing tights in Summer confused

vintage1950 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:06:26

I once went to the swimming pool with my two young daughters and wore my swimsuit under my clothes so that I could change quickly. Unfortunately - you've guessed it - I forgot to bring a pair of knickers and was wearing a skirt at the time. The girls couldn't understand why I wouldn't take them to the playground afterwards and go on the equipment with them.