Gransnet forums

Chat

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me

(107 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Tue 16-Jul-19 10:25:46

Well this morning i got up put my tights on and they felt a bit loose so in my wisdom decided to put a pair of pants over them
Fast forward to sainsburys I'm stood looking at a shelf and try and turn round to get back to my trolley , and i fell over , a bit flustered i stood up and looked down to see what i had fallen over , to my horror the extra pair of knickers had made an impromptu appearance round my ankles , luckily the assistant was lovely
But i have never felt more mortified when i had to reach down take them off and stick them in my handbag
I left very quickly after
Am i the only one these things happen to ?

Opelessgran15 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:27:01

I used to go swimming every week with my now departed much loved sis in law. She told me she had a brand new bra and pants with her one particular week, and as usual we left clothes and towels in the lockers and off we went for our swim. When we got back and went to get changed, she yelled from the next cubicle that she could not find her new bra and knickers, and after much searching by us both, they never came to light. She assumed she had left them at home,and we went for our customary cup of tea with her going commando and bra less( her bust was quite small thankfully). However,the darned things never came to light- they weren't at home, in the car etc. The locker at the pool didn't appear to have been tampered with, and she did ring up the pool staff and report them as lost( much to the amusement of the lady on reception, sis in law had been too embarrassed to report it in person).Every now and then when we went swimming, we mused on what could have happened. Writing this, I realise again how much I miss her and the many laughs we had, bless her heart!

moggie57 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:49:01

i got even worse embarressment. my d wedding day wore a pair of nude hold ups . only thing they didnt hold up,...i could feel them slipping down my legs. so kept yanking them up.managed to keep them up the whole of the service. then calmly went off to the loo and took them off.. took them back to M&S for a refund . they refused as they said they had been worn.,. i explained what had happened .they said well these things happen. so i took it further and got to speak to the manageress. and yes i got a refund.

TwinLolly Thu 18-Jul-19 21:42:54

Not me but this happened to my mum many years ago:

Dad and mum were in the middle of a Scottish country dance which was part of a series of demonstration dances at a function Cape Town.

During one dance, during a reel, her knickers droppedblush. She just had to carry on dancing and hoped nobody noticed it was her!

Cabbie21 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:49:34

Last winter on arriving at the hairdressers I removed my jumper before putting the gown on. Imagine my embarrassment when I felt my top riding up over my head at the same time, revealing my bra. My hairdresser rushed round to shield me from view at the window. We had a good laugh afterwards.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:29:15

Pants not actually coming adrift but on a bus I suddenly felt a cold wet sensation creeping up my back. That's strange, I thought and then it dawned on me - I must have sat on a damp seat where a pink sugary drink had been spilled. A big pink stain had appeared in a very personal place.
Nothing for it but to go to the nearest shop to buy new trousers and pants. No changing rooms in M&S in those days so had to get to work and use the loos there.
When I get on a bust these days I always test the seat to make sure it's dry before I plonk my backside down.

BusterTank Thu 18-Jul-19 10:09:45

Going to catch th bus to work one morning and thought it was a bit chilly round my bottom . When cars went pass they kept tooting . To my embarrassment i had my nurse uniform tucked in my knickers . It's a good job i was slimmer then .

GrandmaCornwall Thu 18-Jul-19 10:09:30

When husband was about two years old he decided to empty his mums underwear drawer out of an upstairs open window.
A group of aspiring actors were standing underneath the window and were showered with not only underwear but but sanitary towels as well. My MIL was so mortified she never told anyone for years not even my husband !
Leonard Rossiter was one of the recipients of the underwear shower.?

DanniRae Thu 18-Jul-19 09:12:08

I once walked from the loo across a crowded cafe with toilet paper hanging from the back of my trousers. I am guessing I gathered it up from the toilet roll when pulling up my knickers and trousers. My husband was there to let me know. I always check now before I leave the toilets shock

Washerwoman Thu 18-Jul-19 08:26:18

These have made me chuckle so much !When DH and were engaged and had to go to meet the vicar to arrange the wedding banns at his local church we were given an appointment with another 2 couples. We sat in an ante room waiting for our turn for a chat with the vicar.When the vicar opened tge door to call us through I hurriedly stood up ,my handbag opened up and a full box of Tampax disgorged it's contents all over the floor where they rolled in every direction under the wooden seats.Absolute mortification. I don't remember much about the ensuing conversation about the sanctity of marriage !

cas58 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:39:39

Aww, lol! Well I'm in good company then! Back in the 80's my half slip decided to make an appearance down town Toronto at lunch time! Luckily I didn't fall down but I stepped out of it, scooped it up and carried on walking. Yep, lots of people witnessed that! LOL

gmarie Thu 18-Jul-19 01:07:41

Once, in a hurry, I grabbed a sweater out of the drier, threw it on, and rushed out. Quite a while later, a man I didn't know leaned in toward me while we were waiting for an elevator. For a hot second I thought he was going to grab me but he just gently pushed my shoulder to turn me around a bit and pointed to the mirrored surface where I could see a pair of lacy bikini panties stuck to the back of my sweater (drier static). I'd been out and about for over three hours!. blush

Nanny123 Thu 18-Jul-19 00:54:00

We were on holiday one year and I went to the loo which was the opposite end of the large hall we were sitting in. I walked across the dance floor past people sitting around it to our table only to find my dress was tucked inside my knickers

Patticake123 Wed 17-Jul-19 22:28:55

My late MiL told the tale of going dancing, knicker elastic snapped, stepped out of them, kept dancing and watched them being kicked around the dance hall for the rest of the evening. On a more personal note, I was at the Symphony Hall, I swanned out of the ladies loo at the interval thinking I must be looking particularly gorgeous as people were looking at me, then my husband pointed out that my skirt was tucked in my knickers and my rather generous backside was on display to the world and his wife!

Charleygirl5 Wed 17-Jul-19 22:12:04

When knee-high stockings were the height of fashion I felt I was the bee's knees but I soo gave up wearing them because after 30 minutes or less I resembled Norah Batty or worse, sometimes they had totally crept down my legs to my ankles, not a pretty sight.

Saggi Wed 17-Jul-19 21:27:46

Knickers have never fallen down but I do go commando quite a lot, unintentionally. I swim three times a week and always put my cozzie on at home as changing rooms are minute ...always put a bra and knickers in sports bag for afterwards....but the amount of times I’ve left them sitting in a little pile on some surface in kitchen is unbelievable ....this morning my mobile was sitting on top of said pile when I returned home from pool... commando style!!

Helenlouise3 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:02:50

Nothing to do with knickers, but I popped in to my sister's house on the way shopping and she took me to see her newly decorated upstairs. I'd been in the supermarket 15 mins when hubby asked me if there was something wrong with my leg. I asked him why and he said I was limping. I looked down and I had one of my flat boots on and one of my sister's with a wedge. I couldn't get out of the shop quick enough

Evie64 Wed 17-Jul-19 19:37:38

Oh how funny, and a bit embarrassing. Not quite the same but I remember waiting at Gatwick Airport for our luggage (when we lived in London) . Knickers and bras etc started coming through the flaps at the end and going round the conveyor belt. My husband picked them up and said in a too loud a voice "Are these yours?" Yes, they were, our suitcase had burst open! Mortified blush

Busset135 Wed 17-Jul-19 18:44:28

I remember as Special Constable doing foot patrol one night. We wore skirts back then and my tights were a bit small and slipping down so Id grabbed a second pair of knickers and pulled them over the top. My male colleague and I hadn’t got far when I felt an ominous sinking feeling. “We have to go back to the nick “ “Why “ “Because my knickers are falling down,if you must know “ I walked with one hand in my skirt pocket
A couple of winters ago one of the young female doctors at work had a shortish dress on with a long cardigan over it and the cardigan belt tied at the back. One end of the belt had worked between her upper legs and every step she took was pulling the back of her dress up. Fortunately she walked into the kitchen and I ran in after her and pulled it out. She jumped round horrified at the strange sensation,but was relieved when I explained she had been literally one step from flashing her underwear
The classic though was my late mum back in the 50s, and newly married, she used to wear a girdle with suspenders and stockings under her skirts One morning she had been at work a couple of hours when she realised she hadn’t put any knickers on. She fortunately lived very close to the mill office she worked in so told her male boss she had left the gas on and went home

callgirl1 Wed 17-Jul-19 18:29:13

We were on holiday on Anglesey, and decided to go out that evening for a meal at a lovely looking pub we`d passed a few times. I wore a new black velvet skirt, thought I looked quite OK, we sat down to order our meal. The seats were benches and I was at the wall so had to slide myself in. When we got up to leave, my skirt sort of slid down as I slid along the seat, and without realising it had happened I stood up to leave. There were some young men at another table and I scuttled out, seeing them laughing, I couldn`t get out quickly enough!

Evangeline Wed 17-Jul-19 17:28:34

Was wondering what on earth was poking me in the chin- looked down to see the underwire from my bra had come through and was making a bid for freedom...

Lizzie10 Wed 17-Jul-19 17:16:53

You've made my day
Came home from work really fed up and stressed ?
When I read your post I had a good old chuckle?
Thanks for sharing JeanLizzie
Hilarious x

Londonpussycat Wed 17-Jul-19 17:08:23

Awwwww bless you. I hope nothing more than your pride was injured.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 17-Jul-19 16:58:16

Did all these knicker incidents happen years ago?
I only ask because none of my knickers has elastic in the waist. They're kind of stretchy all over so nothing to fear about them slipping down.
I do remember cotton knicker with elastic waistbands but that was in my childhood in the 40s.

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Jul-19 15:40:22

Some years ago I was commuting into London on an over ground train, I thought I was smartly dressed in a mid length white silk pleated skirt, camisole and navy jacket. This was before automatic doors so the carriage had a door you opened with a handle.

I was sat by the door through a number of stops , finally arriving into London Fenchurch Street.

As customary on a commute, no one ever looked at anyone else let alone talked to them. And as also was the norm, everyone started to stand up before the train came to a stop as it came into the platform for the fight to get off the train quickly.

I stood up..... but sadly my skirt not only stayed where it was - trapped in the door by the hem- but being silk it then slithered right off and pooled round my ankles. So I was stood there, in a carriage full of commuters in my knickers.

It was one of those occasions where I might have carried it off if my jacket had been longer . I promptly sat down and tried somehow to pull it up but then realised that I couldn't open the door to free my skirt because it was on the track side.

In the end , I had to wait for everyone to get off , step out of the skirt, get my nail scissors and hack it free from the door before hurriedly redressing and getting off the train.

No-one in that whole carriage said a thing !

SueDonim Wed 17-Jul-19 15:20:56

When we were on holiday in the Caribbean I rinsed out my bra and knickers and put them to dry on the balcony rail of our bijou wooden cabin.

Next morning I heard some rustling in the undergrowth below and went to investigate. A gardener emerged, triumphantly waving my smalls, which had blown into the shrubbery overnight!