Gransnet forums

Chat

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me

(106 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Tue 16-Jul-19 10:25:46

Well this morning i got up put my tights on and they felt a bit loose so in my wisdom decided to put a pair of pants over them
Fast forward to sainsburys I'm stood looking at a shelf and try and turn round to get back to my trolley , and i fell over , a bit flustered i stood up and looked down to see what i had fallen over , to my horror the extra pair of knickers had made an impromptu appearance round my ankles , luckily the assistant was lovely
But i have never felt more mortified when i had to reach down take them off and stick them in my handbag
I left very quickly after
Am i the only one these things happen to ?

sarahcyn Tue 16-Jul-19 10:30:33

thanks
grin
wine

hulahoop Tue 16-Jul-19 10:36:47

How embarrassing sorry but I had to laugh ??

jaylucy Tue 16-Jul-19 10:42:16

I have, more than once been on the way to work , after grabbing a pair of knickers that I had been meaning to throw out and putting them on, only to feel them sliding down inside my trousers when walking to work - elastic waistband had given up ! Bent down to change my shoes when I got to work, only to see a nude piece of material poking out by the hem of one of the legs of my trousers! Luckily, a quick trip to M&S to buy new ones was possible - even though I still had my knickers flapping round my ankle! The elastic had not only given up, but the side seam stitching had also unravelled - same thing happened a few weeks later, but luckily I had kept my new pack of knickers in my locker!

Sara65 Tue 16-Jul-19 10:44:29

Oh that made me laugh! Bless you, I feel your embarrassment

BrandyButter Tue 16-Jul-19 10:55:24

I feel for you wink it is my worst nightmare! My experience did not get as far as your's....shopping with two teenage grandaughters (so my purse was now empty) I felt my ancient knickers sliding slowly down my bare legs so tried to hold up on top of the back of my dress but then couldn't manage the shopping bags. Made the two girls walk very close one at each side pressing against the bags to hold my knickers up. Hot and clammy day, stressed and embarrassed, they 'threatening' me if my knickers fall down in the middle of town they will never, ever forgive me........needless to say I got home threw all old knickers in the bin and treated myself to new ones the next day, decided big knickers maybe the order of the day from now on....smile

Glammy57 Tue 16-Jul-19 10:55:45

Jeanlizzie. How embarrassing but also very funny! ?

Auntieflo Tue 16-Jul-19 11:18:00

Embarrassing to say the least. It has not, yet, happened to me, but did to my aunt.
She used to love ballroom dancing and dressed up to the nines. One time, as she was gliding around the floor, she felt the inevitable slide. So she gracefully slid to the floor, covering her knicks with her skirts, gathered them up, and exited the room. She must have been so embarrassed, as she was a very ‘proper’ lady.

DanniRae Tue 16-Jul-19 11:20:09

I was once on a car journey with my ma and pa-in-law and we stopped for a 'comfort' break. Unfortunately when I went to the loo I failed to notice that there was wet toilet paper draped over the seat and my knickers got very wet (I know I couldn't understand how it happened either shock) So there was nothing for it but to bin them. I was wearing a (longish) denim skirt and now I was going commando!! We were to spend the day at their caravan - with my 2 daughters - and ma-in-law had spare knickers there but was a small lady so no good for me. Therefore I spent the day with no knickers on, and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it shock!!

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jul-19 11:21:17

Whoops something I ve never forgotten when I was at school I was taught by nuns One day one was teaching maths reached up to write on the board and her white knickers slowly floated to the ground
She was well with it though stepped out of them and said to the giggling class ‘they don’t make elastic like they used yo’ and disappeared with knickers in hand
But Jean I feel for you ??

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:33:15

My mum used to go commando when wearing a slinky silk or satin dress on an evening out with dad.
I've done the same and remember many years ago, after child no. 3, early 80s having a new white trouser suit.
The single button jacket fastened very low down so I went without underwear and, holding hands with ex on way home after midnight he slyly undid it then pushed me into a wall. I had no idea why until I saw a black cab had mounted the pavement and the driver was shaming and blaming me.
Ex said a few choice things and we continued...button fastened. ??

M0nica Tue 16-Jul-19 11:35:27

I once put on unmatching shoes, one red, one brown and it wasn't until was on the train that I realised.

I decided that the only thing to do was to act as if I had done it on purpose, until I reached Paddington, then I raced out of the station, found a local shoe shop and bought a pair of cheap (thankfully) shoes to see me through the day.

Glammy57 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:43:47

GabriellaG - what a cool mother you had!

I was trying on an outfit in John Lewis changing room a few years ago; my thong was really annoying me, so I took it off and put it in my handbag. Rest of the day was spent commando.

Minniemoo Tue 16-Jul-19 11:44:27

Oh dear! But yes ... I think we've all had moments. I was on an escalator in M&S with my then 5 year old daughter stood just behind. I had on this lovely floaty skirt which had an elasticated waist. You know what came next. For no reason whatsoever, my daughter decided to yank at the skirt and pulled it right down around my ankles!

Pantglas1 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:46:35

What a hoot this thread is! I have a habit of removing knickers and jeans in one fell swoop and shoving them on a darks wash along with socks bra and fleece jumper.

When I wore the jeans later that week having dressed in a hurry, I was in Asda when I saw my black sloggis poking out of the jeans around my left ankle! I’d obviously pegged jeans out not realising knickers had slipped down one leg and hadn’t felt a thing whilst dressing.

I shiftily looked around to see if anyone was watching before dropping my handbag on my foot and picking both up together and marching forth with my trolley! I may well be on security camera tapes in Llandudno Asda!

Glammy57 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:52:10

Thanks for a great laugh, Pantglas1, or should it be “Pants glas”? ?

Pantglas1 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:53:29

Well done Glammy57 I do like a pun!

annep1 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:55:30

Oh how funny. Best not to think about it ?

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jul-19 12:02:03

Fortunately I've never suffered such embarrassments as are posted but I've had occasion to walk with my elbows clutching my sides when the elastic once gave in the waste of my knickers. I remember not being able to concentrate on a damned thing for fear of moving my arms while trying to surreptitiously hold up the knickers.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 16-Jul-19 12:10:19

I once went away for the weekend wearing a pair of baseball boots. It was only when I got there that I realised I had picked one blue and one black.

I also went swimming at the gym one evening. Had costume on under clothes, so shoved underwear in pocket and towel under my arm. Halfway down the street a gentleman tapped me on the shoulder, asking "is this yours?" I am not sure who was more mortified

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:16:26

Ahhh ? it's so comforting to read that moderators are earthly, fallible beings, like the rest of us. ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:20:05

Yes, I miss her lots Glammy57 ?

ninathenana Tue 16-Jul-19 12:34:13

I once walked towards a smartly dressed lady who's knickers fell to her ankles, she stepped out of them and carried on walking, she knew I'd seen and flashed me a big grin which I returned.

Willow500 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:42:50

When my husband was a child he was on a zebra crossing with his mum when her big cami knickers slid down round her ankles - she calmly stepped out of them, picked them up and carried on over the crossing. Needless to say husband has never got over it grin

Framilode Tue 16-Jul-19 12:48:18

In the days of short skirtsI took my daughter on a funfair ride. It was one of those that pushed you up inthe air and then you bounced back down into your seat. With every bounce I could feel my knickers coming down further, and there was nothing I could do. At the end of the ride they were round my ankles.