Gransnet forums

Chat

Flippin' chocolate and no self control. [shame]

(52 Posts)
Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 12:05:48

Younger grandson visiting on Thursday and I have made the very big mistake of putting his usual chocolate on my today's grocery order.

You can guess the rest.

Sigh.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 12:06:50

What made me think I could keep my hands off it till Thursday?!

sodapop Sat 20-Jul-19 12:12:47

Taking chocolate from children Gonegirl how could you grin

How many times will you replenish it before Thursday? You can tell I am one who knows can't you - enjoy

HildaW Sat 20-Jul-19 12:15:03

Oh I can remember when I first discovered the whole 'double buying thing 'in the school playground from other Mums, up until then I had thought I was the only one who bought Christmas chocolate, Easter Eggs etc twice because I had eaten the first lot.....evidently its a well recognised syndrome. So you can hardly blame yourself.

paddyann Sat 20-Jul-19 12:22:15

freeze it ,or buy your own and grate it and only have a teaspoonful when you crave it.I dont eat chocolate but craved it when I was pregnant ,my consultant had us all on diets ,we weren't allowed to gain more than 20 pounds so this was his tip to stop us binging

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 12:26:49

That cruel!!

I can remember when drinking chocolate came in glass jars and it was proper chocolate but grated paddyann.

Now, do they still make it? hmm

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 12:28:28

I bought some Magnums yesterday because DGD was coming to stay but she didn't want one, now where in the freezer are they?

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 12:31:52

Oh Magnums! Those new ones with chocolate crunch in them........

Daren't have them in the house.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 12:35:29

I hardly ever have access to chocolate. I don't buy it. Then if I get a craving - and I do - I have to bake a chocolate cake.
If I have to get a snack for a long journey see eating on trains thread I might buy a small bar but I'm usually disappointed because chocolate does not taste the same as it did when I was young.
Imagine eating a big bar of dairy milk now. You'd be sick.

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-19 13:00:29

I wouldn't dream of guzzling a bar of dairy milk. It's no longer real chocolate since it was americanised. But - Lidl or Aldi dark chocolate with hazelnuts? Now you're talking. And I'm sure the hazelnuts must be one of my 5 a day!

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 13:00:53

Chocolate isn't the same at all. Would you believe I've got a full container of Quality Street from Christmas to bin ? Also a bottom shelf in the 'fridge with separate bags of chocs from Christmas to go the same way.

I like Flakes and Buttons now and again but wouldn't care if I never had chocolate. In fact I got some jelly babies yesterday in preference.

I do remember the grated chocolate from years ago and also remember how it tasted too which was tons better than todays and some of the fillings are dreadful as well.

phoenix Sat 20-Jul-19 13:06:46

Bought a bar of fruit & nut the other day, the writing on the wrapper informed me that it was "easily resealable" erm, why? confusedblush

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-19 13:12:31

phoenix grin

TerriBull Sat 20-Jul-19 13:16:22

I've been known in the past to take great chunks out of my children's Easter eggs, blush bad mother sad if I buy chocolate for gc I give it my husband to hide. Mind you I'm not tempted by high ratios of cocoa solids or the posh Belgian variety, no it's the bog standard fare such as Cadburys, although that's gone downhill since Kraft got their hands on the brand.

gillybob Sat 20-Jul-19 13:40:22

Well ...... I was lucky enough to win a recent GN competition ( steps back in amazement) and the prize ??? A humongous box of “Hotel Chocolat” chocolates ! Oh dear . I’ve given a lot of it away and the DGC have had some but they’re not really chocolate fans and this is very rich chocolate. DH has put quite a hole in it and I’ve claimed just one small bag of Champagne truffles . Delicious ?

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 13:45:29

Well, I'm on the last little bar now. Gave one to DH (conscience salving) (didn't work), and the taste and feeling when it first goes in is divine. 192 cals per bar. Worth every one of 'em.

annep1 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:21:22

Right now I have a bar I bought in Lidl - Arribia Ecuadorian 81%. in my bedside drawer. I nibble a square. That satisfies. Twice a day. I usually keep a bar in the fridge too. Sainsburys or Lindt. If I miss a day its difficult! I can't enjoy the sugary stuff now. But I do remember having to replace items in selection boxes and in desperation eating cooking chocolate. Why are the nice things bad for you???

annep1 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:23:29

Gonegirl you describe the experience so well grin

sharon103 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:23:47

Soooo funny Gonegirl. I've had to chuckle as I can relate to these posts. I'm a chocolate addict and have a secret chocolate draw in the kitchen. As for Magnums I have to buy the mini ones as I'd often eat two of the big ones after dinner and so I figured eating two mini ones, less calories. I've been addicted to them ever since they were on offer about 2/3 years ago at tesco. My cholesterol must be sky high with all that fat.
Why does the chocolate shell of an Easter egg taste better than a bar I wonder. Guilty of breaking some off when mine were children. grin

annep1 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:26:03

Two big ones Sharon wow! I do like the mini double choc.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Jul-19 14:30:35

So true about shells of Easter Eggs. I think it's in the snap. A treat for the teeth.

WadesNan Sat 20-Jul-19 14:33:41

What a weak willed bunch you are - not being able to resist chocolate shock.

Now if you are talking crisps that is another matter blush

lemongrove Sat 20-Jul-19 14:33:59

Gonegirl... disgraceful behaviour on your part, if a mature woman cannot control these urges it’s a poor do!
That’s what I always tell myself, before and after some guilty consumption.?

millymouge Sat 20-Jul-19 14:55:55

I agree with WadesNan crisps, and other savouries, are my undoing. I am very quietly, so DH doesn’t hear, nibbling a bag of crisps now

kittylester Sat 20-Jul-19 15:54:20

Sweets in the glove compartment of the car are my downfall. I bought a bag of liquorice the other day. Had a very poorly tummy the next day. blush