Gransnet forums

Chat

The daftest thing I’ve ever done

(74 Posts)
Celeste21 Sun 21-Jul-19 13:55:57

Now I’m no stranger to senior moments, but today takes the biscuit. I changed the bed linen and the bed looked really neat and inviting. So I collected up the dirty pillowcases and couldn’t find the dirty sheet. Not in the airing cupboard, not on the landing, not on the chest of drawers in the other bedrooms. Only one place left but surely even I couldn’t be so daft as to have put the clean sheet on top of the dirty one. But I did! So had to unmake my pristine bed and start again. Never again will I be able to deny it when my daughter calls me a muppet ?

trendygran Mon 22-Jul-19 15:04:10

Narrowboat nan .My now late DH and I did the same in our local shopping centre.He normally parked on the third level ,but for some reason ,that day we were parked on the second level instead. Panic all round until realised!

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 15:07:50

I've been on the bus travelling 10 miles to the nearest Argos with a kettle to return as it didn't have a cord with it.
As I arrived, I opened the box and then the kettle, and there was the cord.

Grammaretto Mon 22-Jul-19 15:09:38

Im always trying to use my bus pass as a contactless card! It doesn't work.
A friend had left his car at the airport long stay while he was on holiday. He phoned me to ask me to collect it as he was held up looking after his sick mother.
Ofcourse I would. He posted the keys and off I trotted. It was dark and there were about 10k cars. I crept around trying not to look conspicuous . A number of people glanced at me but luckily I found the right car just before I was arrested.

KatyK Mon 22-Jul-19 15:30:30

I'm reassured with some of these! Sometimes when we are out in the car with DH driving and I see something unusual, I think 'oh I'll just wind that back'. I think I'm watching to much recorded TV!

KatyK Mon 22-Jul-19 15:30:53

too much.

BlueSapphire Mon 22-Jul-19 15:31:52

I have been known to finely and carefully chop vegetables ready to cook, and then proceed to throw the whole lot into the food waste caddy along with the peelings.

Esmerelda Mon 22-Jul-19 17:01:01

I thought there must be something wrong with me because, although I found some of these vaguely amusing, they weren't giving me the belly laughs they seemed to elicit from others. Then I read the post from Disgruntled and burst out laughing ... even just thinking about it now has got me laughing again!

LadyO Mon 22-Jul-19 17:42:03

If I’m reading a newspaper or magazine and a photo is a bit small I try to enlarge it with my finger and thumb!! (Too much iphone use...) confused

Evie64 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:19:12

Sprayed my hair with deodorant and put hairspray under my arms? Duh! hmm A work colleague once came to work with red eyebrows and weird lips. Turns out she'd used lip liner pencil on her eye brows and eye brow pencil on her lips. Poor lady went home at lunchtime to make good. She looked really really weird...........

pollyolly Mon 22-Jul-19 19:03:43

DGS asked how to make his white shirts white again, then discovered Lenor was not washing liquid, they were grey but smelt lovely!

mrswoo Mon 22-Jul-19 20:21:40

I once decided that my 4 lovely, chunky, white candles were looking a bit grubby and needed a bit of a clean. So I put them in the dishwasher alongside the rest of the washing up. When I opened the door at the end of the wash I was utterly bemused and confused to discover they had disappeared! I then spent the rest of the day cleaning candle wax off the inside of the dishwasher and off every piece of crockery and cutlery that had been washed alongside them.

Another time, on a packed underground train my mobile rang and I delved into my bag, pulled out my glasses case and attempted to answer it while being watched by highly amused commuters.

lincolnimp Mon 22-Jul-19 23:58:17

My 'absentminded' moment unfortunately had painful results.
I had been to a meeting at a tearoom in a NT property. No time for lunch so once the meeting was over I decided to treat myself to a cream tea. I was asked if i wanted extra hot water, so of course said yes.
A beautiful day, so decided to eat outside. Sat down, put teapot, cup and saucer, plate with scone, jam and cream on the table, enjoying the sight and scent of the garden, tipped the tray up to put it by the table----and tipped the jug of hot water all over me.
Still have a red and sore chest

cas58 Tue 23-Jul-19 07:50:39

Triumph that made me laugh out loud!

nanamac77 Tue 23-Jul-19 10:00:25

Wont bore you with why I used the microwave as a timer after I'd smashed an egg on the floor. Just DON'T do it. Fortunately I was able to put out the flames quickly so no long term damage!

Auntieflo Tue 23-Jul-19 10:23:29

This morning I had an email from our SIL, giving a link to an article re GD and her new job. So I took it to show DH in the kitchen. I went back into the lounge, picked up my Ipad case to do something, then realised DH had my Ipad in the kitchen. Oh well, it is very hot!

Nograndsyet Tue 23-Jul-19 14:01:03

I brushed my teeth with Savlon instead of toothpaste!! Both in a blue tube!! Used deodorant instead of dry shampoo !! One of my Tupperware cereal boxes had a broken lid so I proceeded to decant the cereal from one box to the next using a large bowl. I had just finished when I realised all I should’ve done was swap over the damn lids !!!!

Minniemoo Tue 23-Jul-19 14:05:43

I'd been out all afternoon. It was a hot day. Decided to pop into a village store before work and pick up a deodorant. Got to work, lifted my top and sprayed ... a great splodge of blue gel. It wasn't deodorant at all. It was some shower gel or something in a very similar canister.

2mason16 Tue 23-Jul-19 19:38:30

On a recent visit to DD in Australia I was using our red rental car in a very busy shopping centre. Returning to the car with 3 bags of shopping - the boot would'nt open and cars began queing for my space. I tried and tried but no luck and the other cars were getting impatient. Glancing around I spotted another red car exactly the same.......I skulked over to it - opened the boot and drove off red faced!

annodomini Tue 23-Jul-19 20:28:36

This, and other threads, have reassured me that I am really quite normal! Thanks.

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Jul-19 05:57:16

I am aching from laughter but just to reassure Gransnetters that what's written here does not apply only to those over 55......
My dear friend, a young Mum of 2 small children, came to take me out for lunch.
We had a cupp and a chat then prepared to leave.
As we got outside I wondered why she had parked in the middle of our comparatively quiet street. Had she intended just to rush in and get me?
No, she had forgotten to put the car in 'park' and it had rolled backwards.
Thank goodness I don't live on a hill.

KatyK Wed 24-Jul-19 09:40:41

No it's not just the older folk. When my DD was in her 30s, we went for lunch at a pub, along with my 4 year old granddaughter. We parked on the pub car park, which was in a busy residential area, with houses and shops nearby. We had a leisurely lunch. When we came out DD's car keys were on the roof of the car.

Squiffy Wed 24-Jul-19 10:30:57

I have one of those over-the-cup coffee filters and this morning I carefully spooned the coffee into the filter and poured the hot water over it. Yep, you've probably already guessed - I'd forgotten to put the filter over the cup. A cup of coffee can cover an awful lot of kitchen!

Tweedle24 Wed 31-Jul-19 12:53:14

I have just put cheese in the dishwasher and dirty plate in the fridge