Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

NanaandGrampy Wed 28-Aug-19 21:52:33

Evening all!

Good to hear your worst fears didn’t come to fruition NannyT . You’ll be glad when it’s all over.

Getting Brodie neutered might make him more amenable to visiting more often soop . I do hope so.

We’ve been privileged this evening , sitting in the garden in the dusk and watching the bats, we were surprised to turn and see a barn owl, wings full stretch , gliding silently across the field in search of supper. We’ve often hear him roosting but this was the first time we have seen him in flight.

I shall have my camera handy next time!

Dentist tomorrow...so I’m already miserable. I’ll be into the kitchen when the deed is done !

cornergran Wed 28-Aug-19 22:37:22

Evening All. Our posts crossed this morning morethan, I know this is late but please listen to us all and never, ever consider an apology. Just come and share whatever you need to. Sending love to you all.

I love reading about all the encounters with animals, from cats to owls. We spent quarter of an hour hoping not to see deer this evening driving back from a meal with friends along a road notorious for deer fatalities. Fortunately the deer were absent and we could breathe again.

Wishing the cat catchers luck soop. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if n&g are right and Brodie visits more after his, err, procedure. Hope you are comfortable and the UTI fear was unfounded.

That’s sounding almost positive nannyt, I think you can dare to hope now.

Weary now so it's off to bed here. TOYA, sleep well everyone.

grannyqueenie Wed 28-Aug-19 22:56:24

morethan you’re often in my thoughts and prayers. Please never apologise for “saying it like it is”. It’s just not possible to carry the heavy load that you have to bear without having somewhere for a bit of support for yourself. You have been and continue to be so strong for everyone else, please let us all support you as best we can from a distance. I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing there was more I could do to help.

Lots of news both happy and sad in the kitchen these last few days and as always humour too but it’s late and time for bed so I’ll wish you all what I hope for myself - night of refreshing sleep and as always toya x

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:45:21

Anneliese Your daughter has expressed her love and gratitude and in doing so, has made you extremely happy. Priceless. flowers

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:53:03

NG* Lucky you. We often hear the owl hooting. I have not seen it. The sparrow hawk has become extremely cheeky. He/she takes time to rest awhile on the terrace. The wee birds know when to keep a very low profile.

corner A lady phoned last night. Two young cats had been trapped, taken to the vet and given anti-bios. They are now back at the barn. Two more traps were set late last night in the hope of further success.
The couple who are feeding the cats are going to take a wee break shortly. We shall step in and put food out for the feline family in their absence.

NannyT Remain upbeat. smile

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:54:11

granniequeenie (hugs) x

Panache Thu 29-Aug-19 11:56:17

Indeed never does a day go by than I am thankful for stumbling across Soop`s kitchen,with its varied interesting subjects,queries,advice,humour and pictures, but perhaps even more it is that one place you really can let it rip!!!
Please take this to heart Morethan we may not always find the right words, but knowing you can wander in and out,share your most intimate and troubled times.... being sure they fall on listening,caring ears.This has proved a life line for so many, myself included.It is such a comfort.

I read your post with more than a hint of warinessNannytopsy for after having 2 aborted purchases for our house fairly recently it is the last thing I want for you...............or indeed ourselves again.
However things look more promising and I guess that move is now nearer and you are feeling lots more optimistic............hope the champers is on ice in anticipation!!

Me too Corner I love all things to do with wildlife, be it anim als,birds or all things green and floral!

Weather a little bit "iffy"....but again not much of the wet stuff and plenty of sunshine although now taking on an autumnal tinge.

Lunchtime in our establishment,when we collect and enjoy a natter over our meals.These are pre arranged by a weekly menu where upon we are given a fair choice of three courses,their puddings are usually rather mouth watering!!!

Have yourselves a lovely day my friends.TOYA XX

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 13:18:33

Yay! Brodie has had the snip. The lovely couple who helped to set the traps have been to-ing and fro-ing between the farm and the vet in Lochgilphead. On returning home with Brodie, they discovered another trapped feline. They phoned from Lochgilphead to update us. By now, that should be four out of five cats operated on and given anti-biotics.
We've been asked, do we want Brodie to be released in our garden. We were torn between heart and head. Decided that he should remain on "his patch with his family". We are fully prepared to motor to the farm to feed the cats, and we shall, for as long as we remain here, continue to put extra dry food in the wee chalet. The road along which he occasionally travels is busy. Hopefully, he'll not feel it necessary to take that walk if there is food provided on his own territory.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 13:19:05

Panache smile (((hugs))) xxx

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:29:51

Anneliese what a lovely daughter you have. It must be a great comfort to you.
My DD has arranged to be up with us next week when I have my op. It was totally unexpected but very much valued.

Nannytopsy we have our fingers crossed for you.

Panache your place sounds amazing - I am so pleased you are settling and enjoying life there. I am sure your house sale will be completed soon.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:34:58

morethan prayers and love to you all. Please, please lean on us and all who wish they could make a difference although we cannot. Take all help offered. Send bedding to the laundry, online shop etc. Let a neighbour cut the grass etc.

I don’t like febreze at all. I would buy a large bag of bicarbonate of soda, sprinkle, leave for a couple of hours and vacuum. Maybe wash the curtains or just hang them outside?

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 14:32:47

Feelingmyage55 I would never spray Fabreze on to fabric or surfaces. Just a quick squirt into the air, if absolutely necessary

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:09:34

Must we move out of this kitchen- I am so settled.

morethan please, please use us to shout and scream at-

dragonfly the very best of luck for next week- it will soon be all done and dusted.

soop as the nights become colder, I think Brodie will remember the lovely food and the cosy shelter with which he is acquainted. I do hope he returns.

Panache selling the house will be the icing on the cake.

TOYA

Baggs Thu 29-Aug-19 16:16:20

Hello Kitcheners! This afternoon I'm busy making biscuits in the hope that Saturday's weather will not prevent MrBaggs and me from popping in to see soop and macsporran on our way back from an Argyll Bird Club meet near Campbeltown.

Fingers crossed! ???

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 16:28:42

Woop! Woop! Message to Baggs...we have a wee store of special choc biscuits put by. Not home-made, I confess. wink

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 16:30:43

Charleyg The wee chalet wouldn't be warm enough for Brodie to live in during the winter months. It's really meant to be used as a dry shelter for the dish of food.

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 16:53:19

Good news about Brodie, soop. It must have been quite a shock for him though. I do hope he will continue to visit the chalet.
Panache, it sounds as though you are back eating “normal” food again, including mouth-watering puddings. That’s good news indeed. Fingers crossed now for the house sale.

Panache Thu 29-Aug-19 17:23:09

Sadly Bellanonna the truth is I can rarely partake of the menu here although supposedly they cater for my fat free or low fat diet.............however I do manage the odd pud.............well it would be such a shame leaving them go begging now would`nt it??!!
Still it is good seeing my man tuck into a good meal and neither of us have had to lift a finger or do the washing up!!
Perhaps ..............one day...............I can but keep hoping.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 17:23:55

Bellanonna Have spoken on the phone with the lady who has been kind enough to trap the cats. One remains free for the time being. She'll be feeding Brodie diced cooked chicken this evening (inside his carrying cage), after which, he'll be set free to return to the barn where the feral family live. Tomorrow afternoon, we'll be visiting the farm and getting to know where to leave the rations. Maybe, in due course, Brodie will visit us again. We want what's best for him. The vet said that he'd been in plenty of scraps. Now that he's neutered, he should become much less fierce.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 17:26:48

Not a bad day. Sunshine together with positive news regarding the felines.

Sending good wishes to all our kitcheners. TOYA. Until tomorrow afternoon, smile moon

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 17:32:01

I’m glad you are enjoying the occasional pudding, Panache, and pleased to hear your husband is tucking in!
I read your last sentence as hoping one day to do the washing up! Now that would be strange!! Hopefully, though, you will be able, in time, to eat a little bit more and enjoy the three-course meals!

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 17:33:22

That sounds like a good plan for Brodie, soop!

Baggs Thu 29-Aug-19 17:36:14

"Special choc biscuits" put by sounds good, soop. I'm making crunchy oat cookies and killer chocolate squidgies* (if the recipe works out as expected).

* not brownies, at least brownies aren't the plan ?

Nannytopsy Thu 29-Aug-19 19:43:07

Good evening all. We have run out of gin. Does that tell you how the moving process is going? Tomorrow the email will announce to our solicitor that if we DONT complete on Tuesday, they will be paying our lost deposit to the removers. Not exchanged yet.

NanaandGrampy Thu 29-Aug-19 20:10:26

Just popping in , tomorrow we set off for the weekend. Amazingly our baby will be 40 on Saturday !!

Sadly, Grampy has been prescribed antibiotics for a gum infection so he cant drink !!I shall be taking up the baton...and will undoubtedly be squiffy !!

I shall return on Monday with tales of daring do and pictures lol !!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion