Gransnet forums

Chat

Please wish me luck

(31 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 25-Jul-19 09:14:20

Yesterday I had a horrendous journey to the airport to take my granddaughter back home after 10 days with me It’s normally long winded on three trains with stops and waits for connections but yesterday was evil, about 15 minutes after starting out we came to a stop a message from the driver said something about a red light Thinking it was a signalling problem we sat and sat fifteens minutes later with no update and in boiling carriages people started getting out to see what was wrong A bridge was stuck and I was told quite matter of factly that the workman would be out in an hour to see what they could do and NO alternative transport was going to be offered I said surely you have to put a bus or something on for us I ve got a plane to catch Driver pulled out an email he had just had saying no alternative transport offered
I asked if anyone wanted to share a taxi two ladies came forward and the four of us walked across the track to the way out No phone coverage to ring for the taxi, eventually after walking for ages up dusty lanes one lady got coverage and rang for a taxi 40 mins wait, so we tried a second firm 30 minutes this time so we booked that he eventually arrived and bless him sped like the wind to the next station about 45 minutes away We had of course missed connections but got there with two minutes to spare for the next connection, sat down breathe a sigh of relief Ten minutes later we were still there, then we advised it was running late and to change platforms Anyway from there it was ok we got the flight
Problem is I m returning today and just seen a train update that there are numerous disruptions and cancellations today and advising people not to travel
Sorry for the long sad story I just want to get home
By the way it’s cold grey and pouring with rain here in the Emerald Isle and I’m in shorts ?got to laugh or you’d cry

Namsnanny Fri 26-Jul-19 02:40:53

Bluebelle…..Alls well that ends well, Thank goodness smile

Grammaretto Fri 26-Jul-19 06:22:13

Well done Bluebell I'm just catching up with this thread.
I am very glad I wasn't on a train. It must have been grim.
I hope you had water to drink.
You are very brave.

Willow500 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:30:33

What a terrible experience - thank goodness you managed to get your GD there in the end and got home again. Rest up today and try to stay cool!

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jul-19 06:54:35

Yes good to be back and thanks everyone for carrying me through my grumbles if you see this picture you will see how it seemed at times People were all nice but it was just overwhelming
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49122644

DanniRae Fri 26-Jul-19 10:16:38

Phew! That was stressful to read so goodness knows how it was for to experience.
So glad you are home so you can relax!! smile