Gransnet forums

Chat

Mistress/bit of fluff/bit on the side

(29 Posts)
POGS Sat 27-Jul-19 11:48:50

On a current thread the discussion of a woman who is in a relationship , living with a man who is waiting for divorce has made me think about how we use rhetoric, perceive we are living in a more feminist world.

The woman in question has had the following attributed to her .:-

Blonde Bimbo
Mistresses
Bit of fluff
Another woman
Potential blackmailer
Pillow talker
Bit on the side
Other woman
Fancy piece
Squeeze
Luvaah
Bidey-in

There are thousands of women, perhaps some us have been in the position described, perhaps we have daughters, granddaughters who are now or have been in a partnership with a man who is waiting for his divorce to come through and as we know that can take months.

My question is, are the terms being used fairly toward women in this position in 2019?

Are they old fashioned, are they the rhetoric other woman should consider appropriate , are they names that only have one use and that is to show dislike/ virtuosity above other women/ showing a disapproval of.

I appreciate they are all terms of common parlance, time in memorial but surely the times have changed and divorce, living with somebody is no longer deemed as a sin, disgraceful, shocking .

What do others think and I accept that my opinion is not to every bodies persuasion but really can't the rhetoric be Partner, Other Half, Confidant, Companion , unless of course distain and disapproval is the aim toward the woman but surely we have evolved over the years .

Nannyxthree Sun 28-Jul-19 12:35:23

If these names are attributed to someone we don't really know then yes they are outdated. However, if my OH had ever gone off with someone else I would have found a lot of names to call him and all the above for her!

I read recently that Rowan Atkinson's daughter felt so strongly about his affair that she is no longer using his surname.

Hetty58 Wed 31-Jul-19 09:19:04

Men are guilty of the name calling too. I was surprised to find that some of my students, while proclaiming to respect women, would openly refer to their favourite girlfriend as their 'main bitch'!

M0nica Wed 31-Jul-19 21:37:04

I truly believe more parents need to be aware and teach their kids from a young age.

But we need to teach the parents first that these terms and concepts are unacceptable. They are the ones using them.

I have never heard a child use these terms unless they learnt them from their parents.