Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish bin liners - if not plastic, then what?

(66 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Mon 29-Jul-19 11:19:24

I have a small kitchen with nowhere to put a kitchen bin, so for rubbish, I've use of single use plastics, and now that supermarkets are going carrier bag free, I'm wondering what others do if they're not using plastic bin liners/carrier bags.

There is nowhere on the kitchen floor to put a bin, and there's limited worktop space to even put something on the tops.

Menopauselbitch Tue 30-Jul-19 10:44:53

Maybe splash out and buy bio degradable bags made of bamboo etc
Stop thinking of your little life and look at the bigger picture of trying to save our oceans. Christ if that’s the main problem in your life you have it easy.

Jinty44 Tue 30-Jul-19 11:09:47

My bin is currently lined with the plastic wrapper from a 9-pack of Andrex (the 12 and 16-roll pack wrappers are even better). And I've recently switched to bamboo rolls ( www.thecheekypanda.co.uk ) so their bag is evendegradable.

Could you make use of that? Some of the packaging you buy getting a second use, just as you did with the carriers?

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jul-19 11:11:48

I also use the bags from multi packs of loo rolls.
Seems sense as they would only get thrown out anyway.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 30-Jul-19 11:19:53

We have a rubbish bin under the sink, lined with newspaper. A little bin the work top for peelings etc. to go in the compost bin. Outside the back door is the recycling container and food waste bin.

We waste very little food and my husband takes it up to the tip every few days in this hot weather. We don't use teabags, just tea leaves which go into the compost bin. As we live on a hill we don't have bins, just grey sacks and boxes.

Matelda Tue 30-Jul-19 11:24:01

Our council collects organic waste, so I make origami boxes out of newspaper and then prop one inside a similarly sized sandwich box. About once a day, I roll the newspaper box and food waste neatly in more newspaper and stick it in the organic collection bin. There are instructions for various easy newspaper boxes on YouTube.

madmum38 Tue 30-Jul-19 11:28:55

If you have room outside you could have a worm farm, these will eat your food waste and also produce lovely fertiliser for the garden.
If you want to keep using plastic carrier bags then have a look on EBay, lots for sale on there or ask on freegle/ freecycle if anyone is giving them away

Nannarose Tue 30-Jul-19 12:08:17

We use newspaper to line the inside rubbish bin, and wrap anything that's damp in newspaper as well.
I wrap waste food in newspaper to put in the food caddy, but there is very little ( a few bones and scraps) as we compost most of it.
I do see that if you don't have a daily newspaper you would have to be more careful, but we love a proper newspaper, so it works well.

craftyone Tue 30-Jul-19 12:22:02

Depends how much compostable waste you produce. My hotbin turns just about all my waste into lovely garden compost, I even have to shred my waste paper to feed it. I only eat meat about twice a month, have very little bone and fat, which gets wrapped in newspaper for disposal. I buy skinless fish, no waste there

One of those under sink things is called a waste disposal, they are vile things, I had one taken out after a few months use, they use vast amounts of water and still end up smelly. They are very wasteful and there was one in my new house which I had the builder remove before I moved in

Jaycee5 Tue 30-Jul-19 12:30:33

Jinty44 You beat me to it. I used to throw wrapping away but now I use any plastic that I can't avoid receiving. Also packaging like a bag that had popcorn in it can take quite a bit of waste. Then I take the whole bin down and empty it into the wheelie bin.

Foxyferret Tue 30-Jul-19 12:57:28

We have 5 bins in total from our council. Grey for general rubbish, brown for garden stuff (we pay £49 a year for this, but as we have a big garden, saves endless trips to the tip), green for recyclables. A smaller grey bin outside for food waste, peelings etc and an even smaller grey one for the kitchen for the same thing. Our council provide little green biogradable bags for the kitchen bin which then gets put in the small grey one outside. What a palava but better than the USA. When my daughter visited from Texas she was very confused and said “we don’t get choices like this, it all gets chucked in one bin”. Why, I ask myself, is it really such a hardship to do a bit of sorting and America surely have the resources to do this.

Foxyferret Tue 30-Jul-19 12:58:46

Yes, we also have a composter in the garden but we have huge lawns and hedges so it cannot cope with all of it.

Hm999 Tue 30-Jul-19 14:17:01

Is buying biodegradable bin bags the answer, and hanging them inside a cupboard door, HurdyGurdy?

Iam64 Tue 30-Jul-19 14:20:29

biodegradable bin bags is the way to go.

25Avalon Tue 30-Jul-19 15:21:41

I have very little rubbish. I compost vegetable waste.The council provides us with a bag for cardboard and a bin for recyclable plastics, cans and papers, another bin for bottles, and finally a rubbish bin. They will take silver paper, batteries and clothes which can be placed on top of one of the bins. Additionally waste cooking oil can be put when cold in a plastic bottle, and a black food waste bin that closes so animals can't get in is also provided. I spend my whole time sorting things into the correct category. It means there is very little actual rubbish and I put it in a small white bin liner in a small bin in the kitchen.

Saetana Tue 30-Jul-19 15:46:54

I get my groceries delivered from Sainburys and I can hand the thin plastic bags back to the driver for recycling. For other shopping I buy the 'bags for life' and use them for as long as possible, then exchange for a new one - again the bags are recycled by the supermarket. I also use a backpack for non food items to help me use less carrier bags.

reelashosser Tue 30-Jul-19 15:59:14

Postmenopausal : there is no need for your final comment - you obviously chose your name well. We are not all as bright and up to date as you unfortunately.

tanith Tue 30-Jul-19 15:59:44

I collected numerous batteries over months in a plastic bag and put them on top of my recycling bin on collection day as instructed by the council only to watch the bin man pick them up and throw them in my bin which was then emptied into the lorry. Don’t know why I bother sometimes.

I should of reported it but it’s gets tiring being the guardian of other people who just don’t give a rats arse ?

ayse Tue 30-Jul-19 16:50:39

My grandfather in the1950s and 60s used to wrap any food waste in newspaper (not compostible). You can buy biodegradable liners as others have said. With limited space it is quite difficult.

I’m trying to cut down on use of all plastic but it’s challenging. The only thing we can do is to use less by not buying stuff wrapped and double wrapped in plastics.

I’m finally going to make the effort and do much more shopping at my local market.

As T*** says, “every little helps”.

Legs55 Tue 30-Jul-19 16:54:27

I have a food caddy in the kitchen, I can used bio-degradable bags (purchased from Supermarket/Home Bargains), bread bags or plastic bags. This gets taken out to the larger Food Bin outside, usually only egg shells & chicken bones in it bread goes on my neighbour's bird table, brown seeded or rye not white: salmon skins go into the catgrin .

Green box for glass, brown/coloured paper, brown envelopes & cardboard, batteries in a clear plastic bag.

Black box for plastic, metal, cans & foil trays/scrunched up foil.

Black wheelie bin for all non-recyclable rubbish. I usually have 1 bag per week, bin bags purchased from Supermarket as I don't get plastic bags, I use hessian shopping bags.

Green wheelie bin for garden waste & all veg/fruit peelings etc. Cost £30 per year, £35 if not receiving Housing Benefit

Blue plastic??? bags for paper/magazines/envelopes/catalogues etc. These are emptied & returned each week.

Wheelie bins are collected alternate weeks, everything else is weekly.

I have a small plastic basket in the kitchen for my re-cycling which I take out when full.

quizqueen Tue 30-Jul-19 17:04:41

It is not the plastic which is bad for the environment, it is humans who do not dispose of it all correctly that's the problem. Everything should be made of recyclable material by now. Packaging companies have had enough warning and should be fined heavily for excess and incorrect usage, and the council should take it all away and sort accordingly for recycling.

I compost all my left over vegetable matter so I don't have to buy ready made compost very often. If everyone reverts to using paper again, that will be more trees cut down. I bought some paper straws and they were useless and went soggy before I'd even finished the drink. I used to rewash my plastic straws and they lasted almost forever!

HurdyGurdy Tue 30-Jul-19 18:09:32

Thank you all - some very interesting solutions and ideas here. With one very noteable exception, sigh.

I think I'm going to get some biodegradable bags and use the solution of hanging them on the hooks.

We don't have newspapers - not even the free ones anymore - otherwise I'd definitely be trying the newspaper boxes idea.

Grandmama Tue 30-Jul-19 20:45:08

I have a very small container that sits on the worktop and I put an empty ground coffee bag in it or line it with a plastic bag that has had, say, bananas in it. When it's full I put it in the wheelie bin and put another bag in it (usually daily). Fruit and veg peelings go in the compost bin outside which is tipped on to the compost heap when it's full.

Ooeyisit Tue 30-Jul-19 21:01:00

The council here provide bags that eventually disintegrate for food waste which goes into a separate small bin . Everything else is recycled , but this isn’t helping you , I used to hang bag on my back door handle . The only answer to plastic is ban it . Or could you fit a small bucket under your sink or a small bowl anD use that instead of a bag

moggie57 Tue 30-Jul-19 21:02:32

how about a paper carrier bag behind a cupboard door?

Freemind Tue 30-Jul-19 21:22:02

I have two caddies provided from the council for non-garden compostable waste and garden compost waste. I use the metres of packing paper that comes with anything bought from Amazon to line them. Whenever we receive another load of this paper, I sit and fold it up into sections that I can then just tear off to line a caddy! It seems to be working well enough.