Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish bin liners - if not plastic, then what?

(66 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Mon 29-Jul-19 11:19:24

I have a small kitchen with nowhere to put a kitchen bin, so for rubbish, I've use of single use plastics, and now that supermarkets are going carrier bag free, I'm wondering what others do if they're not using plastic bin liners/carrier bags.

There is nowhere on the kitchen floor to put a bin, and there's limited worktop space to even put something on the tops.

Gma29 Wed 31-Jul-19 07:11:42

A timely question, as I was also pondering an alternative to plastic bin liners. I hadn’t realised larger biodegradable bags were available. I have bought the food caddy ones in the past, until our council stopped the food collection bin service - and left us with 2 bins to dispose of! I don’t have anywhere to compost food waste, so it has to go in the bin.

I don’t fancy putting ‘loose’ rubbish in the wheelie bin, it would certainly smell in the summer months. I do try not to waste food, and buy small quantities where possible, but I do throw away oddments several times a week.

PamelaJ1 Wed 31-Jul-19 07:42:08

Gina, my daughter in Aus. keeps her fish waste in the freezer until it’s bin day.

Recycling was a subject on the JV show yesterday presented by Vanessa Feltz.
One young person accused those who do recycle as sad people with too much time on their hands!

That’s us summed up then!☹️

Jaye53 Wed 31-Jul-19 15:00:29

My council supplys small food waste bin.I never buy single use bags now why would you?shockany small bits of food waste goes to birds in park an excuse to go for a walkgrin.no smelly main bin. But the poor consumers are inundated with plastic and cardboard waste from shops. The manufacturers needs to do more in my opinion.

Jaye53 Wed 31-Jul-19 15:30:39

Oh and bytheway I throw dried teabags on soil as its good so Im told for the plants.

Liaise Wed 31-Jul-19 19:15:49

Yes egg shells, tea bags, peelings etc. All go onto the compost heap and later the garden. The cat disposes of any meat, fish or cheese remains and if you lived nearby would be happy to recycle yours!

Liaise Wed 31-Jul-19 19:18:22

DH tears his hair out with annoyance when a container, like a quiche box, has recyclable and non recyclable parts which have to be ripped apart before binning.

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 20:08:47

DH has just received something from the OU wrapped in what looks like plastic but can apparently be put on the compost heap and degrades.

HurdyGurdy Fri 02-Aug-19 16:08:52

Well I have bought some of the biodegradable caddy liners in Tesco, so thank you to whoever it was who suggested those (sorry, I can't remember who that was)

smile

Suzyb Sat 03-Aug-19 17:28:52

I’ve not read all (just some) of the replies. It’s really opened my eyes though as we’ve been staying for a week by Clapham Common. Here ordinary houses are selling for £2+million but they all have the dreaded coloured bins stuck outside their front doors. It looks terrible and would never have been the case in years gone by.

Gma29 Sun 04-Aug-19 10:31:50

callistenon I had a mailing recently and the wrapper looks plastic, but is made from potato starch, and biodegradable. It all helps.

Callistemon Sun 04-Aug-19 11:41:41

It's strange, though, Gma29, that our Council is giving us polythene bags for food waste now whereas they used to give us ones made of potato starch.

MiniMoon Sun 04-Aug-19 12:12:37

How lucky some of you are. We don't have a good waste scheme here. We only have a general waste bin, recycling bin and garden waste bin. The latter we pay £40 per year to have emptied. We have to have a black bin liner in the kitchen bin, as the council won't take loose rubbish.
??

MiniMoon Sun 04-Aug-19 12:13:42

Food waste, not good waste! I don't think any waste is good.

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 12:17:21

My Mum used to put food waste down the toilet, and that's what I do with the small amount we have.

Grannyknot Sun 04-Aug-19 12:58:04

Co-op still has the smaller bags and their's are biodegradable, so I buy those when I am buying stuff at Co-op, or I take some Waitrose fruit & veg bags to carry my purchases home in, they are free, and also biodegradable when I'm shopping in Waitrose.