Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish bin liners - if not plastic, then what?

(65 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Mon 29-Jul-19 11:19:24

I have a small kitchen with nowhere to put a kitchen bin, so for rubbish, I've use of single use plastics, and now that supermarkets are going carrier bag free, I'm wondering what others do if they're not using plastic bin liners/carrier bags.

There is nowhere on the kitchen floor to put a bin, and there's limited worktop space to even put something on the tops.

Cabbie21 Mon 29-Jul-19 11:31:09

Could you hang a bag on the inside of the door of the cupboard under the sink? I know that is still going to be plastic.
I keep my bin in the cupboard under the stairs which is accessed from the kitchen. I also have a small bin on the draining rack for food waste.

paddyann Mon 29-Jul-19 11:33:51

I keep my food waste bin in my sink and peel veg directly into it and put waste after meals straight in too .I have a double sink so its not stopping me having access to water but you could just lift it out when you need to wash dishes .I dont have a bin as such I have a basket under the sink for recyclable things ,tins and carboard and waste paper.everying else goes straight into my big bin outside my back door.

BradfordLass72 Mon 29-Jul-19 11:51:44

Supermarkets may have stopped issuing free plastic bags but certainly where I live, they are still selling plastic bags by the thousand. Including bin liners of every shape and size.

The only difference is the bags at the checkout are now printed with the supermarket logo and you pay for them (if you're daft enough).

We have wheelie bins for rubbish and when we were issued with them, the Council suggested rubbish could just be tipped, unbagged into them.
These bins are within smelling distance of open windows and doors in heat of up to 35 degrees.

The result of Council advice was a plague of rats; now being poisoned all over the place - which is costing the Council a fortune and is a detriment to wild-life (not to mention killing cats).

We will never stop using plastic and the only way to prevent the pollution to waterways and oceans is to stop the manufacture of one-use bags (most come from China), stop importing them and prevent governments dumping tons and tons of them into the sea as rubbish.

Can you see that happening any time soon?

It's much easier to blame and scare the consumer. That way, they hope we will forget who's really to blame.

tanith Mon 29-Jul-19 11:58:20

I have my bin hanging on the inside of the kitchen sink cupboard you hang a plastic bag by the handles and I use it for used kitchen towel and sellophane that’s not recyclable. I have a box for recyclables and a food waste bin all under the sink.

I think we bought it from one of those little catalogues that come through the door. A bit like this but I have to buy the bags now which I really don’t want to do so I’ll be interested what others are doing.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 12:36:46

We're not supposed to use single-use plastic bags but what does our Council do?
Provides large plastic bags for paper/card and for tins/plastic and another one for general waste. Food waste goes into smaller plastic bags also provided. Apparently they do get recycled, so we are told.
hmm
Unless it is put in the specified plastic bag it does not get taken away.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 29-Jul-19 13:05:47

We used to use big black bags (recycled, from Natural Collection) in the wheelie bin and then I realised that we don't need to. Food waste goes into the compost heap, the Green Cone or (occasionally) the council food/garden waste wheelie bin, and anything which has had food in it is washed clean before it goes into the recycling or the general waste bin. No bin bags because we have a kitchen bin with a washable inside bin, and because there is no food waste in the general or recycling bins, no smell.

Charleygirl5 Mon 29-Jul-19 13:17:59

I have a small black food bin which has to sit outside my front door, hidden by a bush. As the food is discarded I wrap it up in newspaper and pop it straight into the bin. All used food has to be wrapped and not using plastic.

The three large bins sit outside my front door so our Mews really is a treat because that is all one can see- bins. I have space at the rear but I cannot physically move a full bin from the rear to the front.

ineedamum Mon 29-Jul-19 13:20:03

My council have stopped the food waste (costs) and I miss it. I find I'm using my kitchen bin more- so using more plastic and smells.

I'm sure a previous poster has said it, but how about the inside of a cupboard? My kitchen is small but i can use a bin the size of a waste paper bin

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 15:10:30

A rubbish bin (in my area they are black) should not smell as there is no food waste being put in it.
My food waste bin (green) is outside next to the blue recycling bin.

I put 2 folded sheets of newspaper or Waitrose Weekend magazine inside the food caddy to soak up any liquid from fruit peelings and rinse it out weekly with a small amount of rain-water.
None if them require liners as the only non-solids are in the food caddy.

If I have any non-recyclable plastic tubs I rinse them in the washing-up water before throwing in black bin.

For peelings etc, in the kitchen, I use a tub which once held mini- meringues. It has a lid, can be washed and is small enough to fit on a work surface.

Our refuse collectors are Veolia.
They allow plastic bread bags to be used for food waste which can be put in the food caddy, as they have a machine which slits and removes them at the depot.

KatyK Mon 29-Jul-19 15:40:54

We have to buy biodegradable food waste bags to put in our food bin otherwise the council won't take them.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 17:11:26

They used to provide the biodegradable ones, Katy but have now exchanged them for plastic which apparently are 'easier to empty' and can be recycled.

I thought the idea of biodegradable was that they were made of potato starch and would decompose along with the food waste!

KatyK Mon 29-Jul-19 17:33:28

Well Callistemon for the moment we are still being told to use biodegradable bags. They don't provide them. We have to buy our own.

HurdyGurdy Mon 29-Jul-19 17:46:47

Sorry, realised I didn't explain our current set up for rubbish!

I am currently using the carrier bags that the supermarkets send click and collect or delivered groceries in - not the ones that are 10p or so in-store.

I have an over-the-door coat hook thing and I hang the carrier bags on that for rubbish. For teabags, I have an old washing tabs box that sits on the worktop next to the kettle, and another old washing tabs box for peelings to go down to the compost maker.

So it's "all the rest" that go into my carrier bag on the door.

I know realistically we will never stop using plastic, but I'd like to find an alternative to them if I can. I want something to use in the house before transferring to one of the three wheelie bins we have - which absolutely honk in the hot summer weather.

So, yes, I know I could use other plastic carrier bags, or the bin liners that are sold, but I'd like to find an alternative to plastic if possible. I didn't know about the biodegradable ones mentioned by KatyK, so I will have a look out for those.

KatyK Mon 29-Jul-19 17:49:23

Tesco's have them Hurdygurdy They are a light green colour and fairly strong. We tried Aldi's but they were useless.

watermeadow Mon 29-Jul-19 19:44:08

You don’t have to have vast plastic wheelie bins. It would take me months to fill those. I have green bags for garden waste, blue bags for cardboard and sone plastic, a black box for paper and tins, black bags (which I must buy) for household waste. These all live in my shed.
The aim for individuals should be to reduce waste and recycle plastic and put pressure on the major polluters, big corporations, to do the same.

M0nica Mon 29-Jul-19 19:52:57

My waste bin consists of two hooks on the inside of a cupboard door and I now buy waste bags on line. One standard supermarket bag lasts a fortnight. I throw very little away. A large old enamel casserole standing on the work surface takes all vegetable waste plus used kitchen towel and other bits of paper and compostable waste . This goes on the compost heap. I then have a small pottery bowl with lid for wasted cooked food or animal or fish waste, which eventually goes into the food recycling waste bin.

Our weekly food waste bin usually contains no more than a couple of fish skins, bacon rinds and the odd chop bone. Food is not wasted in our household.

tanith Mon 29-Jul-19 20:04:14

watermeadow our council supply wheelie bins for rubbish they don’t supply bags apart from green waste. We don’t have a choice.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 20:21:59

If our waste, garden waste and recyclables are not put out in the correct bags and box it just gets left.

Blinko Mon 29-Jul-19 20:47:37

As well as local authority recycling, I was pleasnatly surprised to see what Morrisons supermarket is accepting for recycling. Here's a link (I hope)

my.morrisons.com/help/information/store-services/recycling/

Loads of plastic stuff, not just their own carrier bags. Great initiative, I support it.

Blinko Mon 29-Jul-19 20:48:04

Oops, pleasantly...

Tangerine Mon 29-Jul-19 20:53:41

Years ago people used to burn rubbish and paperwork on the coal fire and more people had compost heaps.

My parents always used to wrap rubbish up in newspaper before putting it in the bin. We didn't have a kitchen bin. People used to burn sanitary towels or wrap them in newspaper and put them in the bin.

Perhaps people will have to revert to wrapping rubbish in newspaper.

Deedaa Mon 29-Jul-19 23:01:37

My family was the same Tangerine Some rubbish was thrown straight into the dustbin and anything messy was wrapped in newspaper.

polnan Tue 30-Jul-19 10:25:12

well, I could rant here... always the buck passes to the consumer ,, you and me! and it is the manufacturers, and supermarkets who use this plastic,,, did you , or I, ever ask for this?

rant over.

I am fortunate with food waste, not t bags though, we have a small sink disposable thingy... not too expensive, and had it some years, so that disposes of food.

plastic bags to dispose of plastic! our local council requirement.

GrAnne2 Tue 30-Jul-19 10:39:01

We have a range of ikea bins in our kitchen cupboards for general waste, composting & recycling. Whilst I applaud the fact that ikea is discontinuing the plastic bags to line the bins, I would welcome a paper or biodegradable substitute.