Gransnet forums

Chat

1st August - Yorkshire Day

(76 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:24:39

Dusta knaw abaht it? Tha mun celebrant owt fra Yorkshire, knawn near an' far as 'God's Own County'*:

Puddings
Frugality
Dales and Fells (ee, am capped to have such champion memories of these)
Capt. Cook
Guido Fawkes
Dynamo
Judi Dench
David Hockney
Kiki Dee (or Pauline, Mum's hairdresser, before she became famous, Kiki that is, not me Mum)

And everyone on this list:
www.localhistories.org/yorkfam.html

*as is pretty much every county and country {grin]

Feel free to share memories of Yorkshire - good, bad and indifferent.

GrannyMosh Thu 01-Aug-19 12:37:20

This exiled Yorkshire rose wishes you all a happy Yorkshire Day. There are two kinds of people in the world...those from Yorkshire and those who wish they were! ?

Lancslass1 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:20:44

Yorkshire Speak....
I went to a cricket match at Headingley and wanted to buy a cup of tea.
I was asked if I wanted taveneer and I said that I just wanted ordinary tea.
Eventually after being asked several times if I wanted that particular type of tea I realised that she meant
Would you like to drink it in here!

Kim19 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:32:49

Wonderful! Never heard of it before. Love both the concept and the reality. Where have I been all my life?!!

hulahoop Thu 01-Aug-19 13:57:15

Another born and bred Yorkshire lass here happy Yorkshire day to all. Having Yorkshire puds for tea. Loved the post Yorkshire lass ?

gillyknits Thu 01-Aug-19 14:36:28

I wasn’t born in Yorkshire but moved here when I was seven from the South. I soon developed a Yorkshire accent because they said I was “posh”
I stayed until I was twenty three and then moved South because of my husband’s job.
Finally ,twenty years ago we came back to N. Yorks. (again for work) and I felt like I’d come home.
Love the country side and the Cities but mostly, the people!

Disgruntled Thu 01-Aug-19 14:45:39

Commiserations to all in exile.
Barry Cryer says "Never ask a man if he's from Yorkshire. If he is, he'll already have told. If he's not - why humiliate him?

BladeAnnie Thu 01-Aug-19 15:29:15

Sean Bean and Sheffield United!

Nanny41 Thu 01-Aug-19 15:51:57

A Happy Yorkshire Day,and commiseration to all affected by flooding yesterday.
Yorkshire has wonderful countryside, lovely people good strong Yorkshire tea, and not forgetting the Pudding!

sodapop Thu 01-Aug-19 16:35:54

Definitely Sean Bean but not in the tea ad.

Love curd tarts and Yorkshire pudding. We often have the leftovers from a roast dinner served up inside a Yorkshire pud the next day. Needs lots of gravy too.

Great jokeyorksherlass and the Barry Cryer quote is so true Disgruntled.

leeds22 Thu 01-Aug-19 16:37:38

I live on the edge of the flood damaged area. Please don’t believe the Dales have been destroyed and don’t be put off visiting here. Life is getting back to normal. On another note, Kiki Dee - at school we were so proud of a Bradford Lass hitting the charts and she still makes regular appearances at Reeth in Swaledale.

Yorksherlass Thu 01-Aug-19 17:12:34

I put a link on the bottom of page 2 but don’t know if it’s working , if not google Yorkshire Airlines, really funny ?

Photocrazy Thu 01-Aug-19 18:31:41

Tin tin tin (in other words. "it isn't in the tin"!!

Grandmama Thu 01-Aug-19 19:26:18

God's own county. I'm Yorkshire through and through. And proud of it.

Ohmother Thu 01-Aug-19 21:45:06

Did you know that according to Stanley Holloway the angels invented Yorkshire Pudden?

Doncaster Races with its St Ledger.
Doncaster Butterscotch.

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 22:16:54

Thank you for that link Yorksherlass . DH said “ that were raaayt gud, that were”’ grin

Shirls52000 Thu 01-Aug-19 22:47:38

I m originally from the NE but have lived in North Yorkshire for 33 years My children are Yorkshire born and bred and we appreciate how fortunate we are to live in such a beautiful area

callgirl1 Thu 01-Aug-19 22:56:37

Wilfred Pickles
"What`s on`t table Mabel?"
and
"A tha coortin?"

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 23:04:18

Janiepops thanks for the info....I looked on Amazon, there are lots of great Yorkshire mugs.?

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 23:05:06

Anyone remember being told to ‘side the table’ ? ?

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 23:07:40

The Father Brown books ( G K Chesterton ) were based on a Catholic priest at St Cuthberts church in Bradford.

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 23:12:01

Cheese on toast ( it has to be Wensleydale) with bits of chopped spring inion on it.
Potted meat....the butcher had a big bowl of it.

Ohmother Fri 02-Aug-19 17:12:19

Fish, chips n scraps.

justwokeup Fri 02-Aug-19 20:15:08

With you 100% BladeAnnie and adding Artic Monkeys and Joe Cocker. The wonderful old city of York, Ripon Cathedral and the amazingly rugged and scenic North Yorkshire coast. And, of course, an oversized 'Brown Betty' teapot full of strong hot Yorkshire tea.

cassandra264 Sat 03-Aug-19 06:09:04

Betty's and curd tarts. Bilberries, bracken and heather on Ilkley Moor. Fountains Abbey. The Dales and the jokes in 'The Dalesman'. Free Yorkshire puddings with gravy during Sunday lunchtimes at our local pub in return for contributions to the (also local) charity of the week.
And I only ever buy Yorkshire tea.

BradfordLass72 Sun 04-Aug-19 05:05:46

So many lovely memories here and lemongrove if the church you refer to is the one on Wilmer Road, Heaton, that was my husband's church (though not for long, he did not like the priest).

The Walls of Jerico used to scare me to death. I understand they've been altered for road widening. Horrible place.

Loved the Yorkshire jokes.