Gransnet forums

Chat

The Little People are at it again !

(65 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:38:00

Cannot believe how stupid I am ! I have turned the house over looking for the external hard drive I use to back my laptop up. Last seen in the study ( a pretentious term I use for the area where a folding picnic table and an old cardboard box full of folders resides ). No sign of it. I can’t even remember the last time I used it but I think I’ve hidden it due to having had workmen in the house after Christmas. The fairies have taken it as there is nowhere it can be that I haven’t searched. The Little People have a lot to answer for ! Anyone else had them in the house lately ?

BlueSapphire Mon 05-Aug-19 08:50:18

Couldn't find the garage keys the other day. Searched high and low - they turned up in the peg box. How did they get there? And how did the Avon catalogue get into the freezer?

grannysyb Mon 05-Aug-19 11:11:10

Well, they've nicked my cashmere bed socks that DD bought me for my 70th!

Hattiehelga Mon 05-Aug-19 11:11:48

My friend sent me a large handbag for Christmas. We have looked in every conceivable place throughout the house. Where is it ?????

Auntieflo Mon 05-Aug-19 11:13:45

Well Merseybelle2, I stuck a pin in the arm of my (new) sofa, and said a prayer to St Anthony.
He thought about it overnight, and lo and behold, this morning it was found!
Mind you, DH moved a pile of laundry from a bedroom chair, and there it was.
I think I had put it in a trouser pocket, gone upstairs, and the rest is history.
Thank you St Anthony and Merseybelle2

inishowen Mon 05-Aug-19 11:25:02

I once lost the keys to our safe. What a disaster, my daughter had very important stuff for work in it. That weekend we were going to the Strictly show and I didn't enjoy it as I was sitting worrying. I decided to go back and search all the same places and there were the keys in an envelope all along. I don't know how I'd missed them the first time.

Scottiebear Mon 05-Aug-19 11:25:18

We have a phone upstairs and one downstairs. Upstairs one is rarely used. But we went to use it recently and it's gone. We could recall when DH had last used it. We can remember it in his hand - we think he walked downstairs with it. But despite searching high and low, it's nowhere to be found. I loathe losing anything, so it's driving me mad.

moobox Mon 05-Aug-19 11:32:36

I spent yesterday afternoon searching for a screw on lens i had dropped in the garden. The little people had moved it on to my computer desk, and I had no memory of even coming inside

paddyann Mon 05-Aug-19 11:39:14

Chains,I have a lot of gold and silver chains that I keep in a box by my bed,in a drawer that only has jewellery I never wear.Every now and then my GD and I have to take the boxes out ans untangle the chains ,these blessed fairies love tangling them.Some are knotted and some tangled with others.There is absolutely no explanation for it happening.
My GD thinks its hilarious ,she has learned how to take the knots out using two pins thats a skill all women should have,and she tells her other granny about our mischievous fairies .

polnan Mon 05-Aug-19 11:48:02

Actually, talking of the Little People, I find that they help me to find things when I cant locate something... they just point me in the direction.. perhaps you should appeal to their better natures, by telling them that you believe in them?

Suebcrafty Mon 05-Aug-19 11:59:47

In January 1984 my father in law put the Christmas decorations away in a safe place,unfortunately he died in March 1984 and although we searched the house the following Christmas we couldn’t find them and to this day they have never been found ?

MadGrandma Mon 05-Aug-19 12:13:11

I took week's holiday in July to visit friends in Denmark - my first holiday alone in 46 years since my husband died in March. I came home to find the TV on the floor (fallen from a table about 2 foot high!) and the set of keys we kept in the kitchen to lock the back door and the padlocks for the gate and shed have vanished! Now almost a month later they have still not re-appeared! My daughter and friend have both suggested it was my husband (not fairies), complaining that I'd gone away without him!

Notsooldat75 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:24:36

Me too! I was dog sitting for some friends. A post lunch nap seemed to be in order (though in my case it’s called meditation). The television was on. When I woke up the remote control had disappeared into a fourth dimension. I had it to switch on the tv, and despite quite literally turning the whole house upside down (and finding a 50p piece), it has gone. The annoying thing is that I’ve had to buy a new one.

chicken Mon 05-Aug-19 12:37:28

A friend of mine has a family of teddy bears which live on the twin beds in the spare room ( divided up between the two beds) and they get up to all kinds of mischief overnight, changing beds and partners and ending up in quite compromising positions!!

Auntieflo Mon 05-Aug-19 12:47:55

Scottiebear, have you tried ringing the extension number?

Jaycee5 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:49:09

I find things turn up as soon as I give up looking and buy another one. Usually in a place that I have already looked at least once. That happened when I lost my toothbrush charger so now I have 2 electric toothbrushes.
Not much help to you though (or me really).

Rosyanne Mon 05-Aug-19 13:41:45

I had a garden gnome who turned some solar garden lights on and off,on and off. Wrote a series of stories for my DGs which they now read for themselves.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:44:56

shysal... the mouse video is so cute!
It looks like a mouse was piling things up for itself and got scared off, leaving you with a pile of things.?

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 13:49:18

I sometimes wish that "the little people" would visit Merseybelle especially after a day with the 4 DGC ripping the house apart. When I take them home and look around at the mass destruction I wish the "clean up fairies" would visit.

Sarahmob Mon 05-Aug-19 13:57:55

Yes have an arm support for tennis elbow that I only wear while caring for my Grandson. Returned from his house and put in my bedroom, went to get it the following week and it’s nowhere to be seen! We’ve looked everywhere and it’s definitely nowhere to be found!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 05-Aug-19 14:02:11

I could never accept I had lost something always ready to say someone has taken it which would drive H mad.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 05-Aug-19 14:04:18

Sarahmob .Could it still be on your armgrin.

HazelG Mon 05-Aug-19 14:11:39

I have recently found a poem I wrote for my dad about seven or nine years ago.

Mistymorningstar Mon 05-Aug-19 14:18:51

I know exactly how you feel, i have hidden ALL my jewellery when the decorators where here approximately 2 years ago and have no idea where it is. I'd love to wear some of it as i have chosen most, but i cannot begin to think where to start. I now have bought very pretty rings and earrings on the internet - all very cheap from Ebay and Amazon and deal and just get on with it.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:19:47

Good St Anthony, please find … for me. If you are really desperate, find a church that has a statue of him, write your request and place the paper in his hand or at his feet.

There is usually a collection box for grateful people to put a small donation in, after the saint has obliged.

And if such a thing as a spinster who is at her last prayers still exists, the wording is "Good St Anthony, send me a man"

elizabeth30 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:37:19

Whenever my old aunt lost anything she used to pray to St Anthony to help her find it. She said it worked evertime.