Gransnet forums

Chat

The Little People are at it again !

(64 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:38:00

Cannot believe how stupid I am ! I have turned the house over looking for the external hard drive I use to back my laptop up. Last seen in the study ( a pretentious term I use for the area where a folding picnic table and an old cardboard box full of folders resides ). No sign of it. I can’t even remember the last time I used it but I think I’ve hidden it due to having had workmen in the house after Christmas. The fairies have taken it as there is nowhere it can be that I haven’t searched. The Little People have a lot to answer for ! Anyone else had them in the house lately ?

phoenix Fri 02-Aug-19 18:41:39

Yes! Somewhere is a garden design plan that was done for us by a friend who was a professional, but can we find it?

fiorentina51 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:42:34

Yes. They often visit me and enjoy reorganising my home. I find things in the oddest places.......can't be imagining it can I?

SalsaQueen Fri 02-Aug-19 18:42:55

My late MIL once lost a teapot grin in her house. She swore blind that my children had stolen it.

MissAdventure Fri 02-Aug-19 18:58:53

Yes, they stole a jacket that I had up for sale on eBay.

That was a couple of months ago, and I never found it.

Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:00:02

My mother too had a habit of hurling accusations round if anything went missing. She lost a ring and swore we’d half inched it. It turned up a week later when I noticed it caught on the pom pom of her slipper. She wasn’t so lucky finding her silver spoons - my sister later confessed she’d pawned them !

H1954 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:03:37

Oh my, I'm always putting stuff in a safe place and can very find it again! It's everyone else's fault though!

I have noticed though, that when I'm searching for something in particular I happen to find the certain thing I was searching for two days earlier! Odd that! ?

shysal Fri 02-Aug-19 19:15:40

They came and left something for me! On my patio the other day was a little pile of assorted screws, nails and staples. They are the same as the ones that I store sorted into a little set of drawers in my shed. I definitely didn't put them there. I even had to move something out of the way before I could put them away. One of life's little mysteries.

Carillion01 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:28:23

Merseybelle, I think the little people are alive and kicking. When I was very young and visited the lovely Isle of Man I was convinced they were about and loved the fact that everytime you crossed the fairy bridge you had to say "Good morning fairies."

More recently I bought my DH a special present for a special event...hope I've managed to show the photo.

He reckons the cricketers sometimes change position over night, he thinks it's me, I say it's him...I know it isn't me. I'd love it to be the little people and I'm sure it isn't him. He was a cricketer in a much younger life and their position always seem to be 'correct' hmmmm?
Love this thread, thank you xxx

Carillion01 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:29:43

Sorry, poor photo, each cricketer is about 30" tall

shysal Fri 02-Aug-19 20:34:42

Further to my post at 19;15, a friend has just told me about this mouse on You Tube. I wonder?
Mouse tidying shed

Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 20:41:07

Love those garden figures !! They are amazing ! And on a serious note I actually do believe things happen at home and objects move that can’t be explained. My grandmother wouldn’t wear anything green as it’s an offence to The Little People, and nearly had a stroke when my mother bought an emerald jumper. She also used to put a drop of something in an egg cup outside the back door for them to quench their thirst with. I think we must have had drunken rats in our back yard ! It goes without saying the family were Irish on her side smile You can’t scratch anyone in Liverpool without a drop of green showing !

Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 20:48:50

OMG hope it’s not mice here ! We had terrible problems a few years ago with the little blighters when our poor neighbour next door got dementia. He had food all over the house and they were coming under the floorboards into ours. It was like living in a horror film. You see one it might look cute, you see twelve scaling your kitchen dresser vertically and you’re wishing you had a gun !
And what would mice be doing with my hard drive ? Don’t tell me - they must be CIA trained super mice spying on me unless it Huawei again smile

yogagran Sun 04-Aug-19 15:00:00

I searched high and low for one of the foot attachments for my sewing machine. I eventually gave up and bought a new one. Lo and behold, the day after the new one arrived in the post the original one turned up

RosieLeah Sun 04-Aug-19 15:04:27

There was a time when every house had 'the drawer'. Whenever anything went missing, the advice was always 'look in the drawer, your mum puts everything in there'.

Merseybelle2 Sun 04-Aug-19 15:20:10

I wish to heaven we had ‘a drawer ‘ as the cheapest 1TB external hard drive I’ve seen is £39.99 and it’s been a bad week spending wise plus I’ve had to fork out for the loo seats confused

glammanana Sun 04-Aug-19 15:21:36

A fabulous Christmas shop opened in Albert Dock Liverpool years ago and during their first week of opening (August) I bought some amazing baubles for the tree with the intention of them being passed down the family,when I got home I hung them under the stairs by the coat hangers that was the last I ever saw of them from that day to this.Totally baffled.

Namsnanny Sun 04-Aug-19 15:45:29

Merseybell...love your post about your mum!
Perhaps she was right to be a bit suspicious if your sister did pawn spoonssmile!!
My gran used to ‘hint’ that one of use had half inched her prized possessions, got a bit strange though when one of them was a 4x6 mirror!!
Which btw, was quietly ‘removed’ from her house to end up in my cousins, shortly after she died.

Auntieflo Sun 04-Aug-19 16:10:39

Yes. I bought a new lipstick yesterday, tried it and left it on the stairs to take up when I went.
This morning, could I find it, could I heck.
Have looked in all the usual places.
It’s not DH’s colour, so I can’t blame him. ?
I expect it will turn up, soon.
Who’s the St who finds lost things?

Merseybelle2 Sun 04-Aug-19 16:15:49

Yes unfortunately the contents of our house and the pawn shop were no strangers !
We were all on first name terms in there as we were in so often. There was a sort of brokers nearby too where you sold stuff. I came home from school once and dad had sold my hockey stick and tennis racquet !

Defo The Little People had those Xmas decs glammanana !

Merseybelle2 Sun 04-Aug-19 16:19:39

St Anthony. You stick a pin in the arm of a couch and say a prayer. Don’t forget to take the pin out afterwards or you’ll be saying something else that won’t be very prayerful smile

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 04-Aug-19 16:39:43

We're inundated with Piskies in Cornwall. One day we hope they will do a few jobs for us over night.

Merseybelle2 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:49:43

God bless us but those Cornish Piskies look a scary bunch !

glammanana Sun 04-Aug-19 18:59:15

Carillion My OH used to spend his 6 weeks school holidays on The Isle of Man,he used to go over on his own from Liverpool on the Isle of Man Ferry to stay with his auntie who insisted he always say Good Morning to the fairies I used to think he was joking until it was confirmed by other members of our family.
Love your cricketeers by the way

Carillion01 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:13:37

Glammananna, I loved visiting the Isle of Man and you did have to say good morning to the fairies!

It's a beautiful place and rumour has it that when all other boats wouldn't set sail in poor weather the IoM ferries always sailed.

Glad you like the cricketers! X