Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate it, I hate it, I bloody hate it!

(108 Posts)
phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 21:45:03

It is the spawn of the devil, devised by the most evil of goblins, just put on this earth to tease and torment!

Oh yes, it promises so much, " I will make your life easier" it says, "I will help you to avoid waste and keep things fresh" it says, "just put/wrap a bit of me over the plate/bowl/food item, and all will be well!" is says.

What it doesn't bloody say is "I will look quite innocent within my box, wrapped around my tube, until you actually want to use me. The first time you breach my cardboard chamber, I will be meek and docile, obedient to your demands. But beware, once you consign me again to the tomb of the kitchen drawer, I will be avenged!"

And it damn well is! Can you find its end? And if you do, does it actually come off the roll properly?

No of course it sodding doesnt, it's decided to do it's equivalent of the Dance of the Umpteen Veils, coming off bit by useless bit. You may decide to try (with environmental issues in mind) a sort of patchwork effort, using the damn small fiddly bits that came off when you were trying to get the amount you needed to cover the left over chopped onions/peppers/whatever, but don't bother, because by the time you have managed that, the items you were attempting to cover will either have shrivelled or flies will have landed on them!

BLOODY CLING FILM

And yes, I know that Lakeland and other retailers have absolutely wonderful dispensers, but right now, right this damn minute, there is only me and this particularly recalcitrant roll of the damn stuff, and I'm pretty pi**ed off!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 06:00:46

I m another who has no problems I don’t use it much anyway had one at the back of the cupboard for yonks What do you need so much for?
I too use plates or saucepan lids a lot of the time so simple and I keep tubs and things from various takeaways, ice cream etc etc to keep things in in the fridge or freezer

BradfordLass72 Mon 05-Aug-19 06:26:42

Tupperware is bad for the environment, it's made of that devil spawn, - plastic!!

Mine isn't even microwavable but then microwave are death to the environment as well I'm told.

I'd go back to my cave and live in skins but for the fact Animal Protection would be after me.

I've just never got into cling film, I suppose.

They'd probably love a convert over on the Kinky Sex thread.

NfkDumpling Mon 05-Aug-19 06:46:25

A friend who’s a professional cook uses it a lot (or did). I watched her one day and she took off what she needed, then gave the end on the roll a sort of downward jerk. It wrinkled the end up along it’s length so it was no problem to find the end next time. It works! In the same way as turning over the end of the sellotape.

However, Lakeland do these www.lakeland.co.uk/71213/CoverMate-8-Assorted-Elasticated-Food-Covers-–-S-M-and-L so I rarely have to use the stuff now. (Mostly for paint effects for watercolours - it makes a really good water effect!)

Donkey’s years ago my elderly neighbour used to wash out plastic bags and hang them on the line for re-use. I’m now doing the same. Sad?

loopyloo Mon 05-Aug-19 07:14:30

There is cling film and cling film. Cheaper is terrible and better quality stuff is much easier to use. The M&S stuff is perforated so easy to tear. But beeswax wrappers are good.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Aug-19 07:26:09

Decades ago, Katie Boyle, (remember her?) did an advert for cling film where she covered a bowl with the stuff and upended it to show what a good seal it was. I decided to do my own take on this, filled a Pyrex basin with raw peas and sealed it with cling film. But when I flipped it over it didn’t work and ended up with peas all over the kitchen floor. DH thought it hilarious and reminds me of this whenever I attempt to use the blasted stuff, which is a rare occurrence.

Grannyknot Mon 05-Aug-19 07:27:35

Beeswax wraps are quite easy to (and fun) to make. I'm a total convert. Haven't used cling film since.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 05-Aug-19 08:06:50

Never use it as I hate it too, but instead of the plates to cover bowls, we now use the CoverMate covers that NfkDumpling cleverly gives the link to (I still have trouble with doing links). They are great - plastic, but definitely not single-use.

crystaltips, I am pretty sure that real Sellotape is biodegradeable.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 05-Aug-19 08:14:19

Its a really good post and I can almost feel the frustration in your rant. I have also been caught out on things that will make your life easier or better, I have a kitchen full of them.

sodapop Mon 05-Aug-19 08:20:41

I'm in the 'hate it' group too. It sticks to everything you don't want it to but not to the item you are trying to wrap. My chef husband has no problem at all with it and thinks its just another of my excuses not to do anything in the kitchen. grin

Shropshirelass Mon 05-Aug-19 08:37:33

What did we do before cling film? With all the problems with plastics I think the awkward stuff should be banned, lets go back to food covers, greaseproof paper and paper bags! One of my Mom's carers used cling film on everything- so much that Mom couldn't manage to get it off her food, we called the carer 'the cling film queen'!

eazybee Mon 05-Aug-19 08:44:06

Yes, I agree; tried to wrap three small pork steaks individually preparatory to freezing; ending up putting each one in an individual resealable plastic bag, which I can re use. Hardly ever succeed in using it efficiently, which is why a roll lasts years; it doesn't seem to 'cling' to surfaces in the way it used to.
Also using good old greaseproof paper like we used it to wrap sandwiches in.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Aug-19 09:00:53

I can "wrangle" the cowardly cling film, what really annoys me is watching Mr.Gravy try and use the dastardly stuff it is so painful to watch.

EllanVannin Mon 05-Aug-19 09:02:15

Only yesterday I pulled out an unused roll of the stuff from behind the kitchen drawer and tried for the umpteenth time to find a start to the roll.

I could see that there was still plenty to go but it was all stuck fast to each other and refused to let me pick a corner of it. I tried and tried until it got the better of me so I " lost it " and decided that I couldn't put it in the paper/cardboard bin so tried to bend it in half to put into the green bin ! Easier said than done.

I couldn't even bend the damn thing, it was tough to do that, akin to tearing an old phone book---so I got a hammer and squashed it to make it bend in half.

Never again. I use foil for all wrapping now but swear at times that some of the serrated edge is missing with that too !

Glammy57 Mon 05-Aug-19 09:19:49

Very funny, phoenix! I stopped using the bloody stuff years ago.

annsixty Mon 05-Aug-19 09:55:12

I use it regularly.
I buy it from Dunelm and it has a slider/cutter on the box.
You pull it off of the "teeth" to the required length, slide the cutter along and lift it off, job done.
The cling film stays safely attached to the teeth for the next use.I
Simples.

Blinko Mon 05-Aug-19 10:08:22

I've discovered there are about five rolls of the stuff in my kitchen cupboard. None of them actually work as they should. Why is it I'm loath to bin them all? Especially when I do have those elasticated covers and frequently use them.

Bathsheba Mon 05-Aug-19 10:09:45

Wasn't the composition of cling film changed some years ago because of concerns over plastic leaching if it came into contact with food? Isn't this why it's nothing like as 'clingy' as it was in the Katie Boyle advert from years ago?

henetha Mon 05-Aug-19 10:39:38

I completely agree. I can't stand the stuff. In fact I've given up
on it and never buy it now.

Alexa Mon 05-Aug-19 11:19:52

I never use the dispenser box because of its dangerously shrp edge. I cut clingfilm with scissors.

Thanks Minimoon for info on beeswax wrap and splatter thingy will look them up on Amazon.

SueDonim Mon 05-Aug-19 11:22:14

Hahaha @ kinky sex, Bradfordlass! grin My Tupperware dates from the 70's so it's not the evil single-use plastic!

allule Mon 05-Aug-19 11:23:41

Sideways step to baking parchment. My best find has been packets of precut circles and squares. Saves having to find scissors.

marionk Mon 05-Aug-19 11:27:31

Lakeland’s perforated for me every timel

Scottiebear Mon 05-Aug-19 11:28:05

Don't use cling film any more. Not good for the environment. Bought a good set of lock and lock plastic containers and they are a far better alternative and keep things a lot fresher.

leeds22 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:35:30

I too use silicone covers but have to stop myself reaching for the cling film- which is bad for the environment.

Alexa Mon 05-Aug-19 11:35:33

Scottiebear, I agree. But I often have to leave coffee in them to deodorise them. Do you know a better method?