Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate it, I hate it, I bloody hate it!

(108 Posts)
phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 21:45:03

It is the spawn of the devil, devised by the most evil of goblins, just put on this earth to tease and torment!

Oh yes, it promises so much, " I will make your life easier" it says, "I will help you to avoid waste and keep things fresh" it says, "just put/wrap a bit of me over the plate/bowl/food item, and all will be well!" is says.

What it doesn't bloody say is "I will look quite innocent within my box, wrapped around my tube, until you actually want to use me. The first time you breach my cardboard chamber, I will be meek and docile, obedient to your demands. But beware, once you consign me again to the tomb of the kitchen drawer, I will be avenged!"

And it damn well is! Can you find its end? And if you do, does it actually come off the roll properly?

No of course it sodding doesnt, it's decided to do it's equivalent of the Dance of the Umpteen Veils, coming off bit by useless bit. You may decide to try (with environmental issues in mind) a sort of patchwork effort, using the damn small fiddly bits that came off when you were trying to get the amount you needed to cover the left over chopped onions/peppers/whatever, but don't bother, because by the time you have managed that, the items you were attempting to cover will either have shrivelled or flies will have landed on them!

BLOODY CLING FILM

And yes, I know that Lakeland and other retailers have absolutely wonderful dispensers, but right now, right this damn minute, there is only me and this particularly recalcitrant roll of the damn stuff, and I'm pretty pi**ed off!

annsixty Tue 06-Aug-19 11:42:46

I can't believe this thread has reached 100 posts and I am mortified to admit to being responsible for 4 of them.
Its b.....y clingfilm, either use it or don't. ?

Blinko Tue 06-Aug-19 11:47:20

Keeping it in the fridge..who knew?

Fennel Tue 06-Aug-19 11:56:35

Good idea for a thread phoenix.
I think it depends how you tear the stuff. and what make it is.
The one I get from Tesco is easy to start. Then I pull out as much as I want, make a little nick at the top, Hold the roll in place with left hand a slowly tear down with the right. It ends up a straight tear.
Husband just rips it down and it ends up in a mess.
I've done that too.
I used to have the same problem with metal foil. In fact that was worse.

Fennel Tue 06-Aug-19 16:58:31

ps I also fold over the torn edge before putting it away.

JackyB Tue 06-Aug-19 18:49:00

The foils you get here in Germany are so useless - they fit Phoenix's description. You are so lucky in the UK, you have the Bacofoil ones with the brilliant cutting mechanism, as mentioned in Moobox's Post of Mon 05-Aug-19 11:38:51 above.

I brought one with me last time I was over.

PS - this is not an advert!

I would like to change to the beeswax cloths, but I can't begin to imagine how you would use them. Aren't they stiff and how do you get them airtight?

GardenerGran Tue 06-Aug-19 22:53:11

Phoenix you made me laugh! I’ve often said cling film is the work of the devil and my DH just can’t cope with the stuff. I’m a new granny who’s recently joined this site and it’s such a tonic. I will probably need guidance from you all in the months to come!

Sweetcheek Wed 07-Aug-19 23:06:05

Try keeping cling film roll in the fridge, it makes it easier to find the “end”