Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate it, I hate it, I bloody hate it!

(108 Posts)
phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 21:45:03

It is the spawn of the devil, devised by the most evil of goblins, just put on this earth to tease and torment!

Oh yes, it promises so much, " I will make your life easier" it says, "I will help you to avoid waste and keep things fresh" it says, "just put/wrap a bit of me over the plate/bowl/food item, and all will be well!" is says.

What it doesn't bloody say is "I will look quite innocent within my box, wrapped around my tube, until you actually want to use me. The first time you breach my cardboard chamber, I will be meek and docile, obedient to your demands. But beware, once you consign me again to the tomb of the kitchen drawer, I will be avenged!"

And it damn well is! Can you find its end? And if you do, does it actually come off the roll properly?

No of course it sodding doesnt, it's decided to do it's equivalent of the Dance of the Umpteen Veils, coming off bit by useless bit. You may decide to try (with environmental issues in mind) a sort of patchwork effort, using the damn small fiddly bits that came off when you were trying to get the amount you needed to cover the left over chopped onions/peppers/whatever, but don't bother, because by the time you have managed that, the items you were attempting to cover will either have shrivelled or flies will have landed on them!

BLOODY CLING FILM

And yes, I know that Lakeland and other retailers have absolutely wonderful dispensers, but right now, right this damn minute, there is only me and this particularly recalcitrant roll of the damn stuff, and I'm pretty pi**ed off!

annsixty Mon 05-Aug-19 17:19:46

Where did controller come from??
Clingfilm!!!

annsixty Mon 05-Aug-19 17:18:49

I must say in my defence on using controller satisfactorily, I have only flown once in the last 11 years and that was very short haul.
I do not have a car and I use public transport maybe once in 2 weeks.
My carbon footprint is quite low.

Davida1968 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:22:51

Another vote from me for the bees-wax cover sheets. Haven't used cling-film since learning how awful it is for the environment. (Sadly we've a spare, unused, large Lakeland cling-film roll, sitting in a cupboard.)

sarahellenwhitney Mon 05-Aug-19 15:54:40

Perhaps this is old news/advice but keep your cling film in the fridge. Don't know about sellotape as in my 'once tried never forgotten' experience all it achieved was turn the adhesive 'stick to anything it touches part' into a super glue substance making it too hard to unravel.

Candelle Mon 05-Aug-19 15:30:47

I feel like you, Phoenix!

Brilliant post!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:26:18

I don't know if it helps but I think if you approach the cling film with too much aggression it likes to fight back.

A gentle touch allows a little of the roll to unravel and it behaves better.

HazelG Mon 05-Aug-19 14:35:52

After I wrap something in cling film, but before I tear, I twist so that the end to be severed is now easily gotten, a bit like making a fold on the end of sellotape. I rarely use the box as it usually gouges my finger ends.
My friend used to get in such a tizz with her cling film that what she had in the drawer was nothing like the original article. She would ask me to disentangle it whenever I was there when she was using it.
I really am not in league with the devil as one of my dil's claims, ( I can also fold fitted sheets wonderfully grin) I have just learned how to win the fight against possessed items. lol

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:26:53

The only thing you didn't mention, Phoenix, is that you can get a nasty cut from the serrated metal knife.

I never use cling film. Good old fridge dishes for me, or freezer bags or kitchen foil.

Yes, I know they aren't good for the environment. I do my bit planting trees.

annsixty Mon 05-Aug-19 14:14:13

It’s the user , not the product as described many times.

quizqueen Mon 05-Aug-19 13:58:00

Fold over the edge of the cling film after each use and you'll always be able to lift the end bit up.

Tamayra Mon 05-Aug-19 13:51:15

People forget to use the little tabs in the ends of the box
They pop out inside into the centre of the cardboard tube
Keeps it stable in the box & makes for a smoother cut

Kisathecat Mon 05-Aug-19 13:33:25

Make yourself some beeswax food wraps! They are brilliant and ecologically friendly.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:30:26

Good for you Doodle ! ? You have to show objects who’s the boss.

stillabitfit Mon 05-Aug-19 13:29:59

Came across a set of 3 of these recently. The solution for me!

sue01 Mon 05-Aug-19 13:26:36

Well... I was given a tip... to keep it in the fridge, which is where mine has lived ever since. Makes it much easier to use but it is still a prime example of the innate hostility of inanimate objects !!

Doodle Mon 05-Aug-19 13:16:01

Showed this to DH who has a hate/hate relationship with cling film. I think we have the answer. We bought a Bacofilm dispenser which keeps it pretty much in order and to cut a piece off you bash the top down on it. If I come across a particularly badly behaved bit I bash the top down really hard whilst shouting “Take that you b***tard!

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:06:50

Same as Ellie... never any problems at all, ( I also chuck the dangerous box away) cut, don’t pull off the clingfilm, and then fold it back a bit, like you would do for sellotape.
The strange thing with it though, is that I do use it regularly but a roll of it lasts for years and years.

Jaycee5 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:57:23

Funny you should mention this as I was just thinking yesterday that I have a roll of cling film that I haven't used since I moved into this flat over 10 years ago. I can't quite bring myself to throw it away but it is horrible stuff. I just use a saucer over a bowl in the microwave and tin foil otherwise.

Miep1 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:30:52

Apparently if you keep the damn stuff in the freezer, you can use it without tearing your hair out. No, I haven't tried it!

Grosvenor Mon 05-Aug-19 12:27:53

I use a short piece of thin cane, place it on end of roll before putting away without the box. Next time, cane shows starting point and keeps cling-film stretched ready for cutting with scissors.

POGS Mon 05-Aug-19 12:21:56

It's the way you tell um grin

I agree alongside rolls of sellotape where you can never find the bladdy end, for those who are dumb enough like me to never doing anything sensible and mark it.

Gma29 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:17:43

I don’t like it, but feel it’s an (occasional) necessary evil. I have silicon covers, but they don’t fit everything, and I read somewhere that foil isn’t environmentally friendly because of the huge amount of energy needed to produce it. I do sometimes just stick a plate over the top, if it’s just a bit of something in a bowl.

Unfortunately, despite best intentions, the leftover bits, plus their clingfilm wrap just get binned.

KatyK Mon 05-Aug-19 12:09:03

I've never had a problem with it since, at the great age of 69, I discovered that if you push the two flaps in at the side of the box, it cuts smoothly and cleanly. All those angry years!

Cambia Mon 05-Aug-19 11:54:25

You can buy little things that look like shower hats in all sizes to cover things. They are brilliant and you can re-use them time and again. So much easier than they dreaded cling film!

Lilylaundry Mon 05-Aug-19 11:54:02

My roll of cling film went into the bin this morning, after trying to unwrap a bit to cover some left overs. The film ripped to bits, left overs shot across the the kitchen counter and ended up on the floor so that lot ended up in the bin, to keep the shredded cling film company. I'm making myself feel better with a cup of tea and a whole packet of chocolate digestives.