Gransnet forums

Chat

Stopping saving things for best

(115 Posts)
Rosiebee Mon 05-Aug-19 17:11:46

Sorting out some jewellery to wear on holiday and it made me realise how much I have that is not worn. I have some lovely earrings which until now have been kept for "best". No more!!! I am now wearing my silver and pearl drop earrings, not flashy but quite dramatic. DGD will eventually get everything and so rather than her just rummaging through, I've decided to put aside all the jewellery that means something to me and wear it every day. Also to make little notes to explain to her what's special about each piece. Sometimes we get out my gold charm bracelet which DH started for me in our first year of marriage. She loves to hear about each charm on "our" bracelet. I should write it down. The rest I will box up and pass to a charity shop, but does anyone know if they take earrings? After the holiday, I shall start on my wardrobe. Why shouldn't I wear my embroidered silk jacket every day - well maybe not every day.wink

Evie64 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:13:25

I love that old expression "No pockets in shrouds". Use it, wear, enjoy it. You can't take anything with you. I remember my old MIL telling me to "wear your best frock to the housework". Thought she was bonkers at the time, but now?

Grandmama Tue 06-Aug-19 20:19:13

What an interesting post. I still have a little voice inside from childhood that says 'Sunday Best'. But recently I've been thinking Why? and so I've been wearing in the week what I regard as Sunday Best.

leeds22 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:22:28

I have a china dinner service stored away that was given to my grand parents when they married in 1917, she died in child birth in 1918 and the dinner service has never been used. I made the decision to only have Denby crockery - two sets which I rotate/mix & match.

justwokeup Tue 06-Aug-19 20:33:36

I bought a set of Italian crystal glasses and coasters for a bargain price in a charity shop. The shop assistant told me how sad it was that the old gentleman who had donated them had bought them with his wife in Italy, several years previously, to remind them of a lovely holiday. His wife had just died and they had never been unwrapped or used. I used them immediately when I got home - they are beautiful. And, being quite clumsy, I'm very grateful to all the people who store things away for best. I make a point of visiting charity shops when I need new crockery - teapots, dinner services etc - as many of the items donated have rarely been used, and cost a fraction of the price of new items.

StephLP Tue 06-Aug-19 22:09:05

Absolutely wear your 'best' clothes and jewellery all the time. And spray that expensive perfume! Once heard a sermon from a vicar on his 90th birthday. He said don't keep anything for best - clothes, crockery etc. Don't keep things in a cupboard. Use them! I've always remembered his words.

Sue500 Wed 07-Aug-19 13:55:57

Yes I do the same try hard not too but think it’s the way we were brought up.

ladycatlover Thu 08-Aug-19 12:57:56

I spend time every day plotting which clothes I'm going to wear, and choosing which earrings to go with them. I nearly always wear my engagement ring, and diamond ring my Grandmother left me - they only come off for gardening!

Have ME/CFS, so sadly have to spend a lot of time in bed or on the sofa. But if I'm dressed nicely it helps me feel a bit better, or at least more cheerful.

I have a love of hats, and on those days that I'm well enough to visit my allotment I nearly always wear an extravagant hat! It entertains the other plot holders, and I think gives them a laugh too - I know it's kindly laughter. I've not been able to visit for some time now, but every time OH goes to weed and/or plant he gets comments about how they look forward to seeing me in one of my hats.

For those who may think they are past being stylish, I recommend this blog:
www.advanced.style/

It really shows how older ladies (and gentlemen) can be amazingly stylish.

As to china, we use my Grandmother's Doulton plates often, they are made of ironstone and hold the heat really well - fantastic for roast dinners. Not dishwasher proof, so we don't use them every single day, but at least twice a month. Gradually they are getting chipped and cracked, but I've seen 6 plates on eBay and I love the pattern so much I'm thinking of bidding.

We never had posh glasses when we were young, cheapest we could find. I inherited some cut glass from my parents, and we use them when we like. Our kids won't want them, and my parents kept them for best (though they did use them occasionally) so we're enjoying wine from very nice cut glass wine glasses. Plus a couple of spirit tumblers we took to our static caravan, and they get used very often - a G&T seems to taste better from a cut glass tumbler ! wink

Grandma2213 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:21:39

I am amazed at how much valuable 'stuff' g'netters have whether they use it or not, jewellery, silver, crystal, tableware, designer clothes etc etc.

I had a good look round and apart from what my DC or DGC have bought, made (or won as tombola prizes) which I treasure, I have an old fashioned silver plated teapot, milk jug and sugar bowl which I had replated as a gift to my mother. It had originally belonged to her mother and I inherited it on her (my mother's) death. I also have my maternal grandmother's wedding ring and engagement ring which is also very old fashioned, gold with some precious stones (very special because it is engraved with her name and it fits me perfectly) but probably not very valuable.

They have survived over 100 years but I honestly don't think any of my DGC would be interested in them so I don't know what would become of them.

Lazigirl Fri 09-Aug-19 18:37:03

Well Grandma2213 I think you've got even more than me. I'm not particularly acquisitive, and sum total of my valuables is my two wedding rings, and one 30 year old Rolex, which has stopped working and I can't afford to get repaired. No other jewellery, fine china, crystal, or designer kit and nothing handed down in family. Oh! I have a few nice paintings, but probably not worth much.

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-19 19:11:00

Me neither Lazigirl . Nothing of any real value whatsoever . I too have a couple of paintings by local artists, not valuable but I love them . smile

annep1 Fri 09-Aug-19 19:22:32

I haven't either. Probably the most valuable thing I have is my emerald engagement ring with earrings and pendant to wear with it.

And a painting by a local well known artist which hasn't increased in value at all.

Actually husband's guitar collection is probably more valuable than my stuff. Nothing else valuable.

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-19 19:29:54

I have never had an engagement ring of my own but I am the current custodian of my late mums ring. Not really valuable but I will give it to my DD eventually .

annep1 Fri 09-Aug-19 22:17:32

My mums rings didn't cost a lot but they're very valuable to me.

Grandma2213 Sat 10-Aug-19 01:00:26

The really valuable things have good memories or a history attached to them haven't they. I never had an engagement ring either gillybob and my ex took my wedding ring when he left though it was not expensive. I am glad I don't have it as the memories attached are not good!

My mother's wedding ring was sent home when she was ill in hospital before she died. It had worn so thin it was hardly there and it just disappeared. No-one ever found it again.