Gransnet forums

Chat

Reading glasses I can’t read with

(64 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:59:58

Have just put on my new reading glasses and can’t see the laptop screen with them. I haven’t worn them before as I lost them as soon as I got back from the optician and have been wearing my old ones.
I can’t read a damn thing with them.
My DH Mr Magoo has had a mishap with the same opticians as he came back two weeks ago with a pair of sunglasses instead of the reactolites he’d ordered. The silly sod had tried them on in the shop and hadn’t even noticed. Give them their due, the opticians changed them when we took them back. Am not pleased as I need my readers. Don’t tell me we should have gone to .... we did !

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Aug-19 19:04:54

My husband has some new reading glasses that have a split in them. Top for the computer screen, bottom for reading books etc.
Otherwise he needed 2 pairs.
Maybe yours are not intended for the screen?

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 19:08:38

My optician pointed me to the pound shop he said they are the same reading glasses just magnify

Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:09:54

You might be right. I don’t think I mentioned using the computer, just a pair for reading as the free pair ! Looks like my mistake, although I can see the computer screen perfectly well with my old ones. Despite my cataracts !

midgey Tue 06-Aug-19 19:15:20

Perhaps it’s a case of your arms not being long enough when reading! The optician told me to use my old reading glasses for the laptop as it was further away than a book.

sharon103 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:27:03

Yes lots of stores sell reading glasses BlueBelle don't they.
I bought a pair from the 99p store and another pair from Morrisons some time after. One pair is for watching tv but I needed stronger ones for reading and my laptop.
For reading the very tiny printed cooking instructions on food boxes it's reading glasses and a magnifying glass.
Perhaps I need to go to S..........

petra Tue 06-Aug-19 19:37:28

Merseybelle
In my opinion that's where you went wrong ( spec savers)
I went to them when they first opened. It got to the raised voice stage ( on my part) when he said ^ you will get used to them^

Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 19:41:05

You might be right petra. Cheapest is not always best. Actually wondered if these have my distance prescription in them sad

Sara65 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:15:58

I always keep an old pair for work, I can’t use the computer in my latest glasses, I suppose the prescription for my old glasses is a lot weaker

KatyK Tue 06-Aug-19 21:46:38

I get them from the Pound shop. They are great. IF I want to go upmarket, I buy Primarks for £2.

Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:49:52

Bloody hell you know how to push the boat out KatyK ! Will have a look tomorrow as I need new drawers.

Charleygirl5 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:50:54

KatyK do you not have your eyes tested at least every two years? That was how my AMD was discovered because I have always had regular checkups.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 22:11:46

I have my eyes tested every 6 months because I ve got lots of complex problems but he still told me to get my reading glasses from the pound shop
merseybelle drawers for your eyes ???

Grannyknot Tue 06-Aug-19 22:16:56

I've not had a good experience with "should have gone to" either. I find that with all the deals the get one free, but then you need this coating, and how about X, Y and Z and having usually spent ages there, my head is spinning.

So the most recent time I went there, I discovered that I had paid an extra £69 shock two years ago for thinner lenses in my +2 reading glasses. I hadn't noticed/realised it on the day I got them because ...see above grin

I realise it was my own fault, but they really need to simplify their offer!

(It came out because I was offered it again, and I replied "Why would I want that?" and the assistant said "Because you had it last time!")

Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 22:58:26

You’re absolutely right Grannyknot they have upselling down to a fine art. I always go for the most basic as at my age I’m past caring how hideous I look smile

Grannyknot Wed 07-Aug-19 08:19:23

It is upselling indeed, and bamboozling, starting with the BOGOF. I could never leave the store without having spent around £300. I've learnt now, my very stylish readers are from a local independent pharmacy.

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:28:53

I’m quite a fan of spec savers, but I literally buy what I need, my husband always comes home with a couple pairs of designer glasses, insurance, special coatings, they must see him coming!

Merseybelle2 Wed 07-Aug-19 08:43:13

Yes my husband Magoo is a sucker for a pretty face ( but he made an exception marrying me !)

TwiceAsNice Wed 07-Aug-19 08:50:16

Always go to Vision Express. My local one had a wonderful optician she is brilliant . Can’t fault them

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:04:06

Twiceasnice

Error on my part, I meant vision express, not specsavers

Willow500 Wed 07-Aug-19 09:54:52

My husband is still reeling 6 months on from paying £550 for his varifocal glasses from our local optician which he reckoned he didn't need. His distance vision has always been amazing but obviously he started to need reading glasses (bought from the cheap shops) some years ago. On his last eye test at the beginning of the year she said his distance vision was below the legal driving limit hence the varifocals. He can't see his computer screen without tilting his head back so does get frustrated with them although he mostly wears them all the time. TBH I wasn't that shocked at the price as my glasses are usually in that region anyway - I can't have varifocal lenses in them as I have complex prescriptions but my contacts are varifocal. I only wear glasses to get downstairs on a morning and when I get into bed on a night so don't change them that often thankfully!

I've heard varying reports about S***s****s - mostly poor but I would take your reading glasses back even if it is some time since you got them. Paying for something you can't use is just a waste.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Aug-19 10:17:09

I had a problem a few years ago that necessitated going to see a consultant. He was adamant that we should all be seeing the same optician every time we go. This is because each person will interpret what they see differently and the notes they make in their own style are understood more exactly by them because they are their own. This is the best way to ensure any problems are picked up in the early stages.

So I have taken this to heart and now see the same person every time for my prescription - and then take it wherever I like to have it made up.

The other thing I have learned, bizarrely from a phone conversation with an online glazing service (!), was to make sure I had my glasses properly fitted. The centres of the curve of the lenses needs to be exactly in line with your pupils when you look straight ahead. I hadn’t thought about this before but it’s obvious really!

Aepgirl Wed 07-Aug-19 10:29:54

Take them back, Merseybelle2. I was ‘persuaded’ to go to a very well-known optician chain instead of my independent optician. As soon as I tried the specs on I knew they weren’t right, but the optician said ‘give them a few days for you to get used to them’. Well, after a few days I went back and it was discovered that the lenses were in the wrong side of the specs (right in left ...). Now I know I shouldn’t have gone to S...!

Wilma65 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:34:10

I have a special pair of glasses for the laptop. My optician explained that the distance to the screen is different to the distance when reading. It’s further away which is why you cant read the screen. I have bifocals as well for distance and reading. You need to go back and get s pair just for the computer.

RobtheFox Wed 07-Aug-19 10:36:59

Which magazine did a survey on the big suppliers some years ago on eye tests and Boots came out best but only with a "satisfactory" rating. To my mind it is far better to go to a long established Family Optician for the test as it is much more comprehensive and, if you want to chase the cheapies, take your prescription elsewhere but risk the possible lack of quality after sales service.