Gransnet forums

Chat

Reading glasses I can’t read with

(65 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:59:58

Have just put on my new reading glasses and can’t see the laptop screen with them. I haven’t worn them before as I lost them as soon as I got back from the optician and have been wearing my old ones.
I can’t read a damn thing with them.
My DH Mr Magoo has had a mishap with the same opticians as he came back two weeks ago with a pair of sunglasses instead of the reactolites he’d ordered. The silly sod had tried them on in the shop and hadn’t even noticed. Give them their due, the opticians changed them when we took them back. Am not pleased as I need my readers. Don’t tell me we should have gone to .... we did !

Merseybelle2 Wed 07-Aug-19 19:44:26

Thanks coast35 never thought of Asda, and I can afford those !

Saggi Wed 07-Aug-19 20:04:00

Me too ... NotSpaghetti... had two eye ops in 18 months and have done without glasses till everything settled down , and now have new specs. Brilliant , top half for distance and a much bigger lower half for reading. Now I can read my books again...but good thing was I discovered ‘Audible’... how marvellous to be read to again. Wonderful discovery.

Dancinggran Wed 07-Aug-19 20:52:34

I have used S..... S for years, have worn varifocals for over 20 years and never had any problems however could never get a 2nd free pair (always had to pay extra) because of my prescription. Earlier this year I was desperate for new glasses but decided to go to Asda, so pleased that I did, 2 pairs slimline varifocals, 1 pair as sunglasses. Eye test was excellent and optician told me I have macular degeneration, explained about it etc and told me it will be monitored at each test. Merseybelle2 if you can't read, at normal reading distance with your new glasses you definitely need to go back with them. As far as the computer is concerned you will need a different strength at this is an 'intermediate' distance.

Cornflower Wed 07-Aug-19 22:15:23

I recently brought home a new pair of reading glasses from S....s....s (which I had not been asked to try out when I collected them) and found I could not read a thing with them, everything was blurry. I phoned up and was asked to come in. There they took my details and on checking noticed that a pair of “distance” glasses had been ordered by the assistant with whom I had placed the order! I was informed the previous assistant must have “just ticked he wrong box” hmm. I do not require distance glasses and have never done. My guess is that if the previous assistant had not been so focussed on trying to sell me various coatings for my glasses, all of which I politely declined, she would have been more in tune with what my actual order was. As a result, a new pair of lenses was ordered immediately and my reading glasses were available in store the next day.

KatyK Wed 07-Aug-19 22:22:03

Charleygirl15 I have my eyes tested every year. I wear contact lenses and also have a contact lense check every year. I wear my lenses when I go out, my ordinary glasses at home and my pound shop readers when I occasionally need them. I have told my optician and he said that's fine.

LJP1 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:53:44

Try increasing the font size setting on the computer, to what suits you, so you can read with reading glasses or without as you fell inclined?

Merseybelle2 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:55:19

LJP1 - brilliant ! Problem solved . Thanks smile

petra Thu 08-Aug-19 14:16:34

Coast
Re the ASDA optician. When you say 'price includes everything' does that include high impact lenses.
Having said that, there are 'cheaper' high impact lenses.
I've found that Ziess work best for me.
Maybe I could get out the shop without paying £450 + ?

Merseybelle2 Thu 08-Aug-19 15:11:19

Wow that’s a huge amount of money ! I’m complaining over £45 glasses !

Magrithea Sun 11-Aug-19 17:37:42

Try repositioning the screen - I can't read DH's large screen as it's too far away if I use his computer but I can read mine without my glasses as it's nearer (and his is bigger grin)

Oldandverygrey Sun 11-Aug-19 18:08:26

Just collected my new glasses from V.E. they are bifocals and they have a special wash to shield my eyes in sunlight - cost £220 -

Terri823 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:48:17

I find easy readers from Boots or similar very goog

lemongrove Mon 12-Aug-19 21:20:22

I have used Specsavers and ‘good’ opticians and the service varies wildly. I now go to a Specsavers which is excellent, always quiet, never crowded, and no problems at all.
They should ask Merseybelle what you use your glasses for,
Reading, computer etc.but obviously didn’t ask you at the time, so poor training on their part.

EmilyHarburn Thu 15-Aug-19 11:51:38

I asked my optician to make me a pair of vari focals that are just for use at conferences. i.e. typing notes on a lap top, reading papers, looking up and seeing members attending and then just a little bit at the top for the power point on the distant conference screen. This has worked out well. I can actually drive in them in day light because of the top bit. He has distributed the change in focus to suit my requirements. This is the first time I have had this done and will do it again. I think far too much of the varifocal lens is normally given to distance and not enough to close activities.

When not at conferences I keep these specs in a case at my computer.