Gransnet forums

Chat

When did everybody start taking ‘leave’?

(36 Posts)
Katek Mon 12-Aug-19 13:13:14

Just that really, as taking ‘holidays’ seems to be on the wane ‘Leave’ used to be something that was confined to the forces, just musing as to how/why it’s crept into other professions.

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 12-Aug-19 15:54:17

We took Annual Leave when I was a Civil Servant but when I took a job in the HR department of a bank we took "Holiday" which we applied for on the form headed "Annual Leave Entitlement" wink but was called "Holiday Form" by all team leaders.

Now I'm on my holidays 24/7. grin

Daddima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:59:20

I remember people starting to get a ‘ winter week’ many moons ago!

SalsaQueen Mon 12-Aug-19 18:34:53

My first job, in 1975, was with the N.A.A.F.I., and it was known as annual leave there. Then I went to work for British Telecom, and it was also annual leave.

I couldn't care less what it's known as, so long as I get paid for time off grin

Nannarose Mon 12-Aug-19 18:42:41

I too think that 'leave' spread from the military and civil service through the public sector. I think partly that it covered other kinds of leave (see above) and partly it wasn't constrained by the specific timing of 'holidays', a term that spread from feast and holy days to be time off for the workers.
Many of us remember 'factory fortnight', which was definitely a 'holiday' and not 'leave', but when I went into the NHS I had 'leave' at different times of the year.

CanadianGran Mon 12-Aug-19 18:49:51

Holiday vs Vacation
Here in Canada we mostly call it vacation. A Holiday is a special day like Christmas or Easter which everyone gets off (or is paid extra to work). I believe etymology from Holy Day.
I currently get 30 vacation days per year.

SueDonim Mon 12-Aug-19 18:50:25

My dh was in the Royal Navy so it was 'leave' in this house.

Locally, it's the Trades Fortnight.

My American GC have vacations.

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Aug-19 19:04:48

I worked for British Gas in the 1970's and we had annual leave back then and flexi time which was brilliant.

Witzend Tue 13-Aug-19 09:39:38

I took leave from my job with an airline in the early 70s.
Holidays were what you maybe did when you were on leave.

I don't think it's a new thing at all..

Fennel Tue 13-Aug-19 11:29:56

I had annual leave in my job. OTOH Another one is 'taking a break'.
When we lived in France people often rang up to ask "Can we come to you for a few days for a break?"
It wasn't much of a break for us though.

Fennel Tue 13-Aug-19 11:32:03

ps my husband has always been self-employed. On the few occasions he managed to take time off he called it 'holidays'.