Gransnet forums

Chat

Laugh or cry!?

(37 Posts)
Beckett Tue 13-Aug-19 13:39:35

Decided to go into town for a bit of retail therapy this morning. After wandering around for a hour or so I got the bus to come back home, as soon as I presented my fare card a very loud alarm sounded and a recorded message shouted "This bus is under attack call 999" this recording repeated for what seemed like forever! Everyone was standing around staring (no-one actually called 999), the driver was frantically pressing buttons and eventually switched off the engine which stopped the recording.

Now I know I am a tad overweight but surely not enough for the bus guardian angel to react that way! grin

MissAdventure Tue 13-Aug-19 13:54:00

grin

Were you embarrassed?

Beckett Tue 13-Aug-19 14:04:49

Not so much embarrassed as puzzled! However, I have vowed to lose weight before I use the bus again!

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:17:26

Not quite as bad, but going through the magnetic arch at a cruise terminal recently, the alarm kept going off. They patted me down. First it was keys in my pocket (my fault) then they thought it was a plastic belt, then they asked about pacemakers and steel rods in my body. Finally they came to the conclusion it was my shoes they were cloth but of a rose gold colour that may have been metal. On every pass through the arch that set off the alarm I gathered more interested observers.

Thankfully by that time they were happy that whatever it was was unlikely to be dangerous so they let me through without me having to take my shoes off. which was a relief, as they were dainty sandals with a small buckle at the side of each which are absolute xxxxxx to undo and do up. And what would I have to have taken off next if the alarm had still sounded after I had taken my shoes off. blush

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:49:02

Wouldn't it have been the metal buckle that set off the alarm M0nica.
I've never heard of a cloth buckle, unless the metal had a cloth covering in which case your shoes were still the culprit. grin

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 16:18:17

Oh, yes, possibly. It is just that the security people said it was probably the fabric. I was just playing 'in and out the dusty windows'1 with the arch. DD and DH just thought it was hilarious hmm

inishowen Wed 14-Aug-19 10:36:03

Going through Belfast airport I was pulled aside after my handbag went through the scanner. "There's a mass in your bag" the security man said. I was so worried as I'd bought the bag in a charity shop. What if there was something in there? He told me to empty it and out fell all the euro coins I'd thrown in the bottom. Whew what a relief. That was the mass.

polnan Wed 14-Aug-19 10:36:42

how very strange!

GrandmasueUK Wed 14-Aug-19 10:41:16

I once got in a lift with my OH which had 2 other people in it. The doors didn't close and the recorded message said that the lift was seriously overcrowded and wouldn't move. It had a 15 person capacity and I know I am overweight but I was so embarrassed. Apparently, it did that occasionally, but I got out and walked the five flights hoping never to see those people again!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:42:47

Well with my sense of humour I’d have cracked up: I wouldn’t have been embarrassed you hadn’t done anything,I’d have said wow I don’t usually cause this much attention and laughed it off

crazyH Wed 14-Aug-19 10:50:19

Thanks Beckett - I really needed a good laugh this morning. It's my birthday and all my family and friends have sent me text messages or phoned, but I am sad that my teenage granddaughter hasn't bothered. I practically brought her up because both parents were working. I have asked the family over this evening for an Indian takeaway, and asked her what she would like me to order for her .... no reply. Well. never mind, I'll get over it.

MissAdventure Wed 14-Aug-19 10:57:31

Happy birthday, Crazy. flowers
Hope you hear from her.
She may still be in bed!

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:05:28

Happy Birthday Crazy. If it's not like her, I'm sure she'll be in touch.

midgey Wed 14-Aug-19 11:09:21

CrazyH it’s very early for a teenager in the holidays to have turned over yetgrin Happy birthday!

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:15:02

Has she got a holiday job, Crazy? Perhaps she can't answer at the moment
Happy birthday flowers

I always get pulled over at airport security!
Always!

jacig Wed 14-Aug-19 11:20:08

I have been stopped a few times and it turns out the under wire in my bra was the problem. I now wear bras without under wiring when traveling

Barmeyoldbat Wed 14-Aug-19 11:28:34

You shouldn't have worn a hoodie.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 14-Aug-19 11:33:58

I used to have similar problems going through the security barrier at my last employment., despite putting keys etc in the provided box outside the barrier. I came to the conclusion it was either my underwired bra (I need help with reinforced scaffolding..), or the titanium clips left in my innards from surgery years ago!

Madmaggie Wed 14-Aug-19 12:22:06

Your posts reminded me when many years ago now my 2nd hubby & I had a short break in Tallin. It had only just become atourist destination. Silly H thought he was hilarious, passed through the single security point first & disappeared through swing doors after telling the very grim scary gun toting female officer that I had a gun!!! I'd set the buzzer off. Blimey what a reaction - i had visions of a lockup & missed flight. She frisked me not so gently, the wand found nothing then she spotted my cross & chain at my neck & a big smile erupted from her & a ahhh, its ok. She then pointed to exit door hubby had disappeared through and said with feeling that man is a fool so sorry for you. She was very prophetic as it turned out!

GreenGran78 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:39:42

My late husband collected belt buckles, and always insisted on taking quite a few on holiday. So many times he was asked to open his case because of the suspicious lump of metal. He also once had a gadget pen containing sharp screwdrivers. He was most upset when they confiscated it.

I have been 'patted down' every time when travelling alone in the last few years. Are the drug lords using little old ladies as couriers now? I have acquired a new hip recently, so I will no doubt arouse even more suspicion when I go through the scanner.

Mumben Wed 14-Aug-19 12:43:49

I was told that underwired bras from M&S will set off the alarms ?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:02:03

My hairpins were sufficient to set of the security alarm at the British Embassy in Copenhagen!

00mam00 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:12:26

My dh is a bit of a newcomer to flying. A couple of years back when packing to come home, he didn’t want to abandon a Camembert so he popped it in his hand luggage. Alarms went off and extra staff were summoned all pulling on blue gloves. He was quite unaware of the fuss and just popped the cheese and everything else back in his bag, he was sternly rebuked and led aside until they had assured themselves it wasn’t a bomb.

Parsley3 Wed 14-Aug-19 14:15:28

As I stepped into a small lift an automated voice bellowed out
“This lift is overcrowded! This lift is overcrowded!”
I was most offended as I was the only one on it. ?

Musicgirl Wed 14-Aug-19 14:15:33

My prescription medicines alerted the security officer at JFK airport recently.