Gransnet forums

Chat

Laugh or cry!?

(38 Posts)
Beckett Tue 13-Aug-19 13:39:35

Decided to go into town for a bit of retail therapy this morning. After wandering around for a hour or so I got the bus to come back home, as soon as I presented my fare card a very loud alarm sounded and a recorded message shouted "This bus is under attack call 999" this recording repeated for what seemed like forever! Everyone was standing around staring (no-one actually called 999), the driver was frantically pressing buttons and eventually switched off the engine which stopped the recording.

Now I know I am a tad overweight but surely not enough for the bus guardian angel to react that way! grin

sazz1 Wed 14-Aug-19 14:59:41

My OH put all his electrical items in a small metal suitcase years ago, razor, camera, toothbrush, travel iron, walkman etc. We were held up at customs for nearly an hour. Plugs unscrewed, batteries taken out, careful tapping all over the metal case looking for a false panel- there wasn't one! He just wanted to make sure things didnt get broken as baggage gets thrown about. All our other luggage searched as well.

Graygirl Wed 14-Aug-19 15:19:27

My GC insist on going through doors in shops in front of me by approx 10feet because I have cardguard insert in my purse and set the majority of shop alarms going even on entry only doors. I see the funny side they don't

Shizam Wed 14-Aug-19 17:39:21

Years ago, I was body searched by an airport security guard, having set off alarm. She got to chest area and became convinced my strapless, heavily underwired bra, was suspicious. Caused quite a scene...

Legs55 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:40:09

I did my Jury Service at the Royal Courts of Justice (High Court) in London. For over 2 weeks my bag passed through the scanner ok until the last day when I was asked if I had a knife in my bag, I'd almost forgotten I had a butter knife in there rounded end, not sure what damage it could do oops! How did that get missedconfused However the metal buttons on my coat set the arch off but hand held scanner showed that I wasn't carrying anything dangeroushmm

FC61 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:09:06

I always set the scanner off at the airport and get frisked - but I have no underwires , no pins or pace makers, no metal ?? I have no idea why unless it’s all the zinc I take ?
Happy Birthday Crazy H - don’t upset yourself about your granddaughter - they can be awful aged 14-25 !

Framilode Wed 14-Aug-19 18:28:51

My daughter was getting changed in the loos on the trainafter a long day at work. She is a solicitor (this is relevant) and put her stockings and suspenders in her briefcase. Of course, she left her briefcase on the train. It was eventually found in lost property and a fellow male lawyer retrieved it for her and it was arranged that he would bring it to the court she was appearing in. Of course as he was going through the scanner at the court the alarms went off. The briefcase was opened and to his embarrassment the suspenders and stockings were pulled out.

elleks Wed 14-Aug-19 19:17:43

GreenGran78 ; I have a knee replacement, and went to the trouble of getting an official card stating so. I've never set anything off, and I'm a bit disappointed!

annodomini Wed 14-Aug-19 19:23:11

In addition to the hip and shoulder implants, the scanner at the airport once got excited about the metal button at the top of my jeans. Why, I can't imagine because a very large number of passengers must have been wearing jeans too. Anyway, they made me undo it and do it up again to be sure I wasn't concealing anything suspicious under it.
When flying to NZ in January, I was advised to get a letter from my GP about my long list of medications, and to put them in a box or bag to be ready to show at Dubai, even though I was only in transit. I brought out the list, ready to show the security officer but she just waved me through. Just the same on the return flight.

arosebyanyothername Thu 15-Aug-19 00:21:21

A young security officer thought he saw a suspicious item in my hand luggage as it went through X-ray. It was my bracelet which has a hinge fastening.
He thought it could be a detonator!
He called a more senior officer over and they were quite concerned although I explained the mechanism.
In the end they took it out and asked me to demonstrate..they both watched intently as I opened and shut it under their noses. If it had detonated they would have been goners ?

crazyH Thu 15-Aug-19 00:48:03

Thanks for all the kind bday wishes. So, just to update you on my grand daughter. She did turn up for the Indian takeaway , with her mum, brother . When I asked her why she didn't. Text or reply, she sAid "I'm here now, aren't I ?" . How cheeky can you get ? Yes we had a lovely evening. The food was super.

JackyB Thu 15-Aug-19 03:33:54

A fellow chorister tells a tale of when she was a young girl on a choir outing. This was before scanners etc, but they were flying to Israel or somewhere. Her luggage was searched and they found a tuning fork which they thought was very suspicious. She laboriously explained the workings and the purpose of said tuning fork to the security people, who were still rather doubtful, until she told them that the next 40 passengers would all have one in their bags.

lmm6 Fri 16-Aug-19 07:39:35

MOnica, we used to call it “In and out the dusty Bluebells” or it might have been “dusky “. I loved that game.