Gransnet forums

Chat

New bag less Tesco delivery rant

(45 Posts)
Artdecogran Thu 22-Aug-19 12:03:44

Well I’ve just had my first and last bagless Tesco delivery, what a palaver. It is supposed to be saving the environment but as the paper bags and plastic bags are all recyclable anyway I can only see it as a profit making exercise for Tesco’s. I find standing difficult but had to stand at front door holding on to my walking stick with one hand and holding an old carrier bag and trying to pick things out of the plastic crate with the other. The driver was holding up the crate so I could get at the items easier. Well no thanks Tesco it was a complete shambles, you have lost me as a customer. Whoever thought up this stupid idea should be made to stand in the corner and think about what an idiot he is.

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 05:35:45

I've said several times on GN that this is a supermarket scam. People have fallen for it left, right and centre.
Suddenly plastic is the evil fairy - it makes me laugh
how easy it is to fool the consumer.

Our local supermarket, Countdown, after making a big song and dance about not using plastic, immediately withdrew the free ones and put in place plastic bags with their own logo on them at $2 a time.

The other supermarket Pak n Save, roundly scorned by Countdown for 'making people do their own packing' has always had boxes, originally from goods delivered to them, available to customers.

Eco friendly and cost effective which is why their prices are so much cheaper than Countdown's.

I also remember why we changed from paper to plastic - because paper was depleting the forests world wide.

crystaltipps Fri 23-Aug-19 05:47:06

It wasn’t concern for forests that made commercial enterprises switch to plastic- it was to save money plus the plastic bags don’t fall apart when wet. Buying bags instead of giving free ones is not a scam- there has been an 80% reduction in plastic bag use since shops stopped giving out free ones. People reuse bags and take their own bags to the shops much more which has got to be a good thing.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Aug-19 08:26:57

Completely right crystaltips it’s certainly not a scam we need to be very mindful of plastic which is really bad for the environment it lives for ever Here in Uk very few people go to the shops without a couple of longlife bags folded up in their pocket or handbag

Gonegirl Fri 23-Aug-19 20:01:08

Gabriella Be grateful for home delivery. Whatever did you do before that method of shopping was introduced

Brought it all home single-handedly on my bike, until the day, three years ago, when I fell off. It's been Ocado since then.

Gonegirl Fri 23-Aug-19 20:02:55

Btw Gabriella, we do pay for the service. Not sure how much gratitude needs to be involved. hmm

lemongrove Fri 23-Aug-19 20:21:15

CaroDane I have never had a supermarket delivery, as I prefer to shop for things, my DD’s say the same as yours, constant substitutions and short dates on many things.
No doubt I shall use this service at some point in life, but not now.

trisher Fri 23-Aug-19 20:30:53

Wow do people really just want to moan.
Artdecogran put several shopping bags next to your front door and give them to the driver asking him to pack the goods and lift them into your hall. Freezer stuff always comes in a plastic bag so while he's busy trot off with the frozen stuff to your freezer. You can move the rest at your leisure.
No one is under any obligation to accept a substitution, just return them to driver. If there is a shorter shelf life than expected you can e-mail and ask for reduction or credit.

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 20:53:55

Gonegirl
I meant that we should be grateful such a service exists/is offered should we choose to use it.
I am well aware that it's a 'paid for' delivery.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:10:18

Yep, my shopping comes into the kitchen onto the working top, I offload it often with the delivery mans help while we chat. Good service and nice folk. My local store is less than half a mile away, but I much prefer to have home delivery as it is quick and efficient. Anything I don’t fancy the look of gets sent back, no quibbles at all.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:11:09

I pay for a year I think last time it was £30. Excellent value.

merlotgran Fri 23-Aug-19 21:12:09

I can't understand the OP's rant. Tesco delivery drivers are very obliging and will bring the trays into your kitchen and wait while you unpack the goods on to a worktop ready to put away at your convenience.

How does it work that bagless deliveries are a profit making exercise? hmm

The last sentence is ridiculous.

MayBee70 Wed 26-Aug-20 12:10:42

I thought this thread was from today as we’ve just had a Tesco’s bag less delivery and Covid puts a totally different slant on this. The whole reason for having it delivered is that we’re avoiding shops totally and we don’t want someone coming into the house. We’ve had to carry the trays into the kitchen, empty them as quickly as possible then take the tray back outside. We still bleach or quarantine most items so it defeats the whole object of having a delivery. Not sure if there is a bag option on the order: we’re new to online deliveries. Does anyone know what happens with click and collect now that Tesco's are bagless again? We were going to remain loyal to Tesco’s but, on top of this they’re building a MacDonalds in one of their car parks that was a designated area for the yearly funfair. It seems they have reverted back to type.

GrandmaMoira Wed 26-Aug-20 12:33:48

I used to have Tesco delivery saver and have had online delivery for nearly 20 years. I've been unable to get Tesco deliveries since lockdown but have used Sainsburys instead. Bags were stopped before lockdown but it was no problem when the drivers brought the shopping into the kitchen. It is difficult now that they are only allowed to leave it at the door due to Covid. I bring bags to the door before the driver arrives, load them one at a time and take to the kitchen, then return for the next. I tell the driver I can't bend to the crate at the bottom and he puts the empty ones under it so I can reach. I can't carry a crate into the kitchen - they are much too heavy.
This all delays the delivery which makes the drivers day longer and is harder work for me, but is all part of social distancing and better than going shopping and getting a taxi.

MayBee70 Wed 26-Aug-20 12:50:38

Thanks: we’ll be better prepared next time. I guess we assumed that they would replace the plastic with cardboard boxes. It’s taking the delivery driver much longer to do his rounds and he doesn’t reall y know how long each drop off will take.

ElaineI Wed 26-Aug-20 12:55:22

Got email yesterday from Sainsburys re my mother's home delivery and they are the same. Before she had elected for no bags and the driver took them into the kitchen but now it says have your own bags ready. The drivers have all been very kind to her. One even opened a tin for her as she couldn't figure out the can opener.

BlueSky Wed 26-Aug-20 13:14:04

Same for Sainsbury's they had become bagless before Covid, then reinstated to avoid unecessary contact, now I've been told they are returning to bagless for environmental reasons. It is a palaver I throw every item into a large laundry bag then drag it to the kitchen. I rinse most things under the hot tap.

MayBee70 Wed 26-Aug-20 13:16:47

Will the drivers decant the groceries into people’s bags?

Floradora9 Wed 26-Aug-20 21:55:56

We had a Tesco delivery yesterday and it came in bags. I was prepared with my own bags at the front door but did not need them . I have found the delivery people all very helpful

Hellogirl1 Wed 26-Aug-20 22:19:43

My Tesco deliveries are still in carrier bags. I too have trouble bending to pick the shopping up from around the doorstep, but the last few drivers have held the crates up and passed the bags to me. I`m looking forward to the day that they can bring the shopping into the kitchen again, although I find most of the Tesco delivery men to be very helpful and obliging.