Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris manspreading!!

(139 Posts)
Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 15:53:28

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/22/emmanuel-macron-backs-month-of-talks-to-agree-brexit-deal

Is this a good look? Feet on the coffee table?

Beckett Fri 23-Aug-19 10:07:55

I am no fan of Johnson but I have a feeling that if it was reported that he had run into a burning building, rescued and child and then gone back in to rescue a puppy, people would still criticise him for not picking up the precious family photo album

Rosina Fri 23-Aug-19 10:09:59

What a lot of media hysteria over absolutely nothing. I read that someone commented those low tables could be footstools and BJ took a playful swing with his foot - instantly captioned as boorish behaviour. Is that the truth? Did he put his foot on a table? Does it matter that much?
'Shock' news from the gutter press is worthless. When they can lie in the road upskirting, as has been the case in the past, and then report 'so and so is showing her knickers' that says it all. Macron has given room for manouvre - that's what needs to be noted.

Marjgran Fri 23-Aug-19 10:14:12

What misogyny “pearl clutching”. Even if Macron invited the behaviour, Johnson can be relied on to make the wrong call... he is a narcissistic oaf.

b1zzle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:18:43

Good to see that there is one person in this country who is relaxed about the whole Brexit thing. Pity it's the one who's in charge of it all.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:19:14

Rosina there is a video, his foot connected with the table for a second, it was a joke that the tables were low enough to be footstools.

Unfortunately Becketts post is spot-on.

Lessismore Fri 23-Aug-19 10:23:53

I'm guessing becketts scenario could apply to quite a few people in the public eye.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:29:00

Lessismore, Oh yes it is the MSM national/international pastime, knocking people of the pedestals that they themselves have erected and put them on.

maryhoffman37 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:29:39

@Callistermon, I quite agree. Macron won this one because Johnson fell for it and it's the only photo being shown. So he isn't for once being a boor but is being a silly dupe. We really don't want either as our PM>

NotANana Fri 23-Aug-19 10:36:18

Irrespective of what actually happened (two blokes joking around etc) that Johnson should have put a foot on the coffee table, the photograph so produced looks boorish and ill-behaved.
Ghastly man.

granny4hugs Fri 23-Aug-19 10:44:57

As I've said many times - prior to Theresa May we had the Etonian Pig F*£$)#'er for PM, now we have the Etonian pig...

NannyC2 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:44:58

Again, taken out of context by media etc.
As pointed out in the Jeremy Vine show this morning....Macron had said to Boris that he wasn't sure whether the fixture was a table or a footrest......hence Boris briefly, for a second, posturing his foot to put it to the test!

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:14:01

I take it that it's ok to 'say' that an MP or a celeb, or indeed a supermarket cashier or bank manager is po-faced and pedantic and even name them...but not anyone on GN hmm
How silly.
Truth hurts eh?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 23-Aug-19 11:20:43

Apparently, according to the media, he was questioning the table uses. Mountain out of a mole hill?? anti Brexits jumping on the 'band waggon'? Now that's a change.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:22:24

Johnson fell for Macron’s stitch up - hook, line and sinker.

This is now winging around the world, and is a metaphor for how the world see the British.

Boorish and uncouth.

Grandmabeach Fri 23-Aug-19 11:27:22

I really hate the way the press headline one photograph without telling the complete story. If you look at the recording Boris was admiring the tables and Macron suggested that he could always put his feet up and make himself comfortable. Boris jokingly put one foot up and, of course, the press were ready.

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:29:18

Some people, mark ? my words, need to get a life instead of making ridiculous comments about metaphor.
Wooden and spoon come to mind...as usual from that quarter.

Alexa Fri 23-Aug-19 11:33:36

Mr Johnson will be aware the the soles of his shoes never touch the unpleasant things most of us have to deal with.

Alexa Fri 23-Aug-19 11:39:07

Becket I would be happier if the Prime Minister did act humanely.

fifey Fri 23-Aug-19 11:50:42

Boris Johnson was actually invited to put his feet on the table by Macron before he did it. Shown in video report.

Soozikinzi Fri 23-Aug-19 11:54:41

If you watch the video clip his foot was only there for a second they were having a little joke Macron said these coffee tables look like footstools . I’m no Boris fan at all by the way but the clip makes it clear it was a pleasant joke between them .

Magrithea Fri 23-Aug-19 12:05:12

They were joking about the small tables being like footstools and, of course, the anti-Boris press will find a way to denigrate him

Nanny41 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:15:47

Extremely rude, and a disgrace to Britain,What a message to the rest of the world!
It is show business!

TrendyNannie6 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:34:52

God nooo looks awful. I would smack his leg down

Rosina Fri 23-Aug-19 12:35:58

GrannyGravy I too couldn't agree more with Beckett. Perhaps - and here I go potentially inviting a load of vitriol - wouldn't it be wiser not to denigrate and insult the Prime Minister, whoever he/she might be, as the person holding that office is on the world stage representing this country, and appears to have done no more than swing his foot. I really can't see that action has rendered him a dupe, buffoon, or whatever else he has been called here - rather the press are trying to make us all dupes by blowing absolutely nothing in to something. Whatever BJ has done in the past, that was then and this is now, and we need to be watching the real news. 'It is as it is', he is Prime Minister, and I believe the office deserves respect and support, whatever your politics, for the sake of the nation.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:39:51

Rosina, totally agree