Gransnet forums

Chat

Dates - not the edible kind!

(38 Posts)
Willow500 Fri 23-Aug-19 06:40:05

When I was working I always knew what date it was but now I find I'm constantly trying to work it out. I do have a calendar/phone etc to refer to but never used to need them - is this a retirement thing?

Yesterday I bought cards for all the September birthdays (it must've been a busy Christmas grin ) and anniversaries, sat and wrote them out and will now have to try to make sure they get posted on time as I often find the date has crept up on me and I've missed it.

I've just realised yesterday was also the anniversary of my dad's passing which I'd missed - sorry Dad sad

Thankfully I do still know what day of the week it is - just! grin

HazelG Sat 24-Aug-19 14:59:21

I used to forget birthdays, or at least I forgot to send the cards, then I started using Moonpig who do send a reminder email in time to send another card. Now I have set alarms on my calendar to remind me 1 week before each event and so I go buy the cards and post them on the same day, grin

justwokeup Fri 23-Aug-19 20:19:48

I don't actually forget what day it is (mostly) but I do forget what I'm doing on that day. I religiously put appts in my Google Calendar - and set a reminder - and then forget to look at my laptop for a few days! Minimoon what a revelation! I can use Alexa. Of course! Thank you.

Caro57 Fri 23-Aug-19 18:52:54

I have a perpetual calendar in the kitchen with all the birthdays. I get birthday cards, write them, address and write the date of the birthday where the stamp will be stuck. It seems to work - most of the time!

Juliepuk Fri 23-Aug-19 18:51:41

I laughed when I read this. Since I retired I have to check the TV for day and date. Each day runs into the next one. Friday seems to come around far too fast! I don't care though, I love not having to go to work.

Legs55 Fri 23-Aug-19 17:58:30

I still use a calendar which hangs in my Lounge, useful for arranging appointments & carry a diary which I forget to updategrin .

Date isn't a problem as I get a daily paper which gives day & date. Sunday is still a special day, usual habit of reading Sunday papers, crosswords & Sudoku. I rarely go out on a Sunday unless I'm out for Lunch with Meet Up group or going to my DD's, I try to keep Sunday as a real day of leisure even though I've been retired 13 yearshmm

Kim19 Fri 23-Aug-19 17:28:46

My first 'challenge' of the morning is to work out which day it is. If failure occurs, I turn to trusty iPad.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 23-Aug-19 16:39:38

Yes, for me this is definitely a retirement thing. I have got into the habit of checking my mobile every morning after breakfast so I know what day it is!

Tillybelle Fri 23-Aug-19 16:39:03

I have to rely on my Google Calendar. It's not on my phone though. But I am not very dependent on my phone, for some reason I don't use it much.

Willow500 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:29:08

Ah yes - the phone calendar!! I do have a Samsung and have the Google calendar set up in it but since I retired and lost my work e-mail system all the diary dates I had set in there disappeared too so I'm having to slowly add them into it as the year goes on.

The paper block calendar wouldn't work for us - I used to have one with Thoughts for the Day on each page. At the end of the month as I was tearing off several weeks at a time the one thought that never cropped up was 'remove today's page' grin

Writing the posting date on the corner is a good idea however if you don't know what today's date is ............. smile

I too miss the structure of the work week in some ways as at least the weekend broke it up but I certainly don't miss the month end which was the most stressful time. We'd no sooner got one out of the way than I had to start preparing for the next one - the months wizzed by!!

Nanny41 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:04:48

I am not alone, my problem isnt dates, its DAYS I am always either one day ahead or a day behind, I check the wall calendar every morning to check apointments etc.

Madmaggie Fri 23-Aug-19 11:50:59

Thank heaven its not just me then. My mum used to say "id forget my head if it were loose" and thats how it seems for me now! Yet when working I had a head full of addresses, phone numbers etc & kept my boss on the ball. Now I can't remember where my glasses are! I silently panic in case I forget pin numbers & codes. Cards I write ahead and sit up on the mantelpiece. And yes, I still think in terms of weekends. But I now say for appointments I can come anytime-im retired & its usually appreciated.

mischief Fri 23-Aug-19 11:49:23

I don't know what I would do without my Samsung phone. Any important dates I put in and it gives me a reminder. If I have a card to post, I set a reminder for a couple of days before hand. Of course the screen always has the date and time so I can get on with the impotant things in my life.......watching the wildlife in my garden or reading. smile

Barmeyoldbat Fri 23-Aug-19 11:24:17

Willow, we must be twins. Today is Friday and I thought it was Saturday and only know the date because my work pension went into my account yesterday. After today I will lose track of the dates and Mr B is the same, in fact he went out to buy the Saturday paper and it was him that discovered it was Friday. I think the reason is at our age we have so much stored in our brains, especially memories, that it is hard to drag out the most needed facts.

Also put send the card I bought for my niece.

Boolya Fri 23-Aug-19 11:09:25

I like to get birthday cards ahead of time. I write them then write in tiny letters where the stamp goes, the posting date. It hasn't failed me ...... yet......

frankie74 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:49:40

Instead of only being marked "Today" at the top of these posts, perhaps I could suggest that Gransnet put eg "Today Friday". Probably a very techno idea!?

EllanVannin Fri 23-Aug-19 10:49:02

I have a large numbered calendar in the kitchen on which I always copy Birthday dates,etc from the old calendar, so that helps for starters. Then as each day/date ends I cross it out leaving me with the present day's date so I always remember.
It's my jumbo diary.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:31:22

I hate retirement there’s no structure I knew where I was when sat and Sunday we my time, now every day is like Saturday or Sunday so there’s no looking forward to a break
Today Friday I was convince it was Saturday all week I ve been one day ahead and no idea why ??

maryhoffman37 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:25:45

I have always kept a physical diary for appointments and still always carry it in my handbag. I am self-employed and have no intention of ever retiring but there isn't that sharp difference between a workplace and home, because home is also my workplace.

Diggingdoris Fri 23-Aug-19 10:24:09

Yes I often wonder what the date or day is, though I check my calendar near the kettle every morning so I don't miss birthdays.
When I write cards in advance I write the date in top right corner to remind me. Then it gets covered with the stamp .
Saw this yesterday-
'What do you call someone who doesn't care that it's Monday?

Retired!'

Rosyanne Fri 23-Aug-19 10:22:14

Thank goodness for Moonpig.com. All birthdays, anniversaries,etc are listed, I get reminders beforehand and no matter where I am in the world, I can send cards and gifts and know they will arrive on time.

GrandmasueUK Fri 23-Aug-19 10:19:24

I spent ages yesterday wondering when they had changed the GCSE results to Wednesday instead of Thursday. I'm now wondering what happened to Tuesday!

jaylucy Fri 23-Aug-19 10:17:38

I found even when at work that when my job meant that I had to write the date on things I was fine - as soon as it was computerised, and done automatically it was strictly need to know basis!
Now I'm not working - even realising what day of the week it is sometimes is a struggle! But then I reckon that I no longer have to work to a routine if I don't want to, so why do I need to ???

b1zzle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:16:34

My diary/calendar are now essential life-support - especially when I'm not sure what day/date it is!

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Aug-19 09:38:17

Funny you should say that about Sundays Urmstongran. I have always hated Sundays and still do and I cannot think why. I love Fridays that is why it is so upsetting at the moment thinking every Friday is Saturday!!

luluaugust Fri 23-Aug-19 09:35:20

We know when Thursday comes round as everyone puts their bins out and we follow suit.