Gransnet forums

Chat

Where has the OP gone?

(16 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:12:21

Does anyone else find it strange that someone starts a thread and then disappears?

Bye??

kittylester Fri 23-Aug-19 12:42:07

It happens often - usually in the school holidays!

Hetty58 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:44:24

I find it really annoying. We've read the post and taken the trouble to reply and give our various views. To just 'disappear' is rude!

grannyqueenie Fri 23-Aug-19 12:47:42

Often about such complicated and convoluted family situations that it immediately makes me sceptical! Maybe I’ve just led a very sheltered life? ?

Hetty58 Fri 23-Aug-19 13:57:01

I think some posts just have to be spoofs as they strike me as so very unlikely/unrealistic.

crazyH Fri 23-Aug-19 14:06:31

For example , the one about sleeping in the nude sharing a bed with her GC, or is that still running ?

glammanana Fri 23-Aug-19 14:35:09

We have been lucky lately and not been asked the price of school shoes or plimsoles have we ?

Grannybags Fri 23-Aug-19 16:31:57

I was just thinking today that we haven't mentioned onsies for a long time......or how windy it is!! (I'll probably be deleted now that I've said it!)

Grannybags Fri 23-Aug-19 16:34:18

I'd like it if the OP did come back it showed up in green like the original post so that it would show up

sodapop Fri 23-Aug-19 16:58:40

Grannybags you mentioned the unmentionable - off with her head. grin

Grannybags Fri 23-Aug-19 17:01:58

grin

PamelaJ1 Fri 23-Aug-19 18:55:03

I’m still here?

BlueBelle Fri 23-Aug-19 19:07:12

I was thinking the same thing the other day no ugg boots either !
Whose going to be deleted first ??

Artdecogran Fri 23-Aug-19 23:56:16

Perhaps the opinions offered have upset the OP and they don’t wish to further the discussion. Or they didn’t know the accepted etiquette on gransnet. Or illness intervened so they couldn’t reply, who knows.

BradfordLass72 Sat 24-Aug-19 01:16:07

It's clear that some posters put their 'problems' on show to:
a) get attention/sympathy/pity
b) be validated for their own, already made, decisions
c) to shock
d) to show off

With a) their stories may or may no be true, that's irrelevant really, it's the 'poor you' responses they're looking for in some cases.

Most Gnetter suss out b) - those who have already made their decisions and just want to be told what good little grannies they are.

The shock aspect comes in many forms but they forget, we have decades of experience of weathering shocks, far more shocking than anything they can produce! Most of us have seen and heard it all and are not fooled or fazed.

And then there are those who post a problem and get shot down because some responders need to grandstand and prove how 'smart' they are.

So the OP never comes back because they are hurt (and I know this is the case because I've had at least three PMs about it since I joined)

As Artdecogran says there are multiple, genuine reasons why people don't come back.

And btw Artdecogran did you know that Napier in NZ is an art deco city?
Google 'napier nz art deco' and go to 'images'

stella1949 Sat 24-Aug-19 02:18:41

BradfordLass72 yes Napier is a very beautiful town. It was devastated by an earthquake in 1931, smack dab in the middle of the Art Deco era. It was rebuilt using the Art Deco motif . Little did the locals know that they were creating a town which would become "The Art Deco capital of the world".