Gransnet forums

Chat

That's not me in the mirror

(48 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 24-Aug-19 08:00:35

I try to make the most of myself, but this growing old is rapidly escalating. I hardly know my face now. I look in the mirror to apply make up, give a nice smile at my reflection, then when the smile switches off, an extra wrinkle has appeared, more white hairs are coming through, neck needs surgery, too scared? so that's out, although not a fan of junk food and i don't eat too much, my waist keeps growing it will soon be the size of my hips. I used to be slim and attractive with a lovely set of teeth which I am now trying to hold on to with the help of crowns and fillings, soon it won't be me any more. I will go out one day and no one will recognise me. I have noticed people calling me dear, dearie and sweatheart, soon they will be crossing me across the road when I don't want to go. That's got that of my chest, just off to make myself presentable.?

NfkDumpling Sun 25-Aug-19 14:42:15

It’s all the spare flesh which is my problem. If I do manage to loose any weight, I just gain more cellulite and folds of vacant skin. And it doesn’t shrink, it just wrinkles up or hangs there. My beach swimwear nowadays is leggings with a tee shirt.

Blinko Sun 25-Aug-19 15:16:37

Just found out my niece has a magic mirror in her hall. Abracadabra! everyone appears tall and slim.

They should have them in shops, we'd all buy a lot more....

Marydoll Sun 25-Aug-19 16:00:19

I have never been happy with my looks, I have always seen myself as a plain Jane.
Having two, slim, stunning and elegant friends in my younger days didn't help.I was the wee friend, the boys didn't notice.
I hated looking in the mirror, never wanted a photo taken, (chipmunk cheeks and Roman nose)

However, my friends now have lots of wrinkles, (due to many years of sunbathing) and have to dye their hair.
I, on the other hand, have few wrinkles and my hair is still it's original red, not carrot orange as it used to be, more auburn, with what looks like expensive highlights. (In fact just streaks of white hair).

At the hospital recently, my consultant thought I was younger than I am. Whether he was just being charming or not, I didn't care. It made my day! I don't get many compliments.

I think I have grown into myself! grin

Brunette10 Sun 25-Aug-19 16:40:27

I'm a bit like you Marydoll inasmuch as I have always been short under 5' and always felt no-one ever saw me or gave a second glance as I was so small. I try to keep hair nice with a prayer up to heaven every morning I blow dry it in the hope it looks presentable. I do use a rather big chemist's name face creams to protect/perfect youthful looks but who knows if they work or not but don't want to stop now just in case they are if you know what I mean. I've always said that if I look like my mum when she was 77 the year she sadly died I will be very happy as I always thought my mum an attractive woman, short too but well proportioned. There's not a lot we can do on how we look anyway, we are who we are. smile

Marydoll Sun 25-Aug-19 21:05:21

Well Brunette, you missed an opportunity there! wink

Knowing me from the Edinburgh meet ups, this was your chance to say I'm actually, chic, svelte, stunning and look about 40. grin

So my mirror isn't lying after all! sad

Urmstongran Sun 25-Aug-19 21:36:39

I was 17y when I met my husband. He was 19y. Have we changed! Oh boy.

I woke up the other morning to find an old man’s head on the pillow next to mine.

He’s now 67y and I’m 65y next week.

Gosh, we now look proper oldies.

But we are healthy (so far) and happy. So I try not to be vain...
?

M0nica Sun 25-Aug-19 21:46:54

What on earth did you expect to happen. We have all spent 60 years plus watching grandparents, parents aging, why does anyone think they would be different?

I am who I am and who I have always been, I look different, but I look par for the course for my age. Why waste time worrying about something you can do nothing about and neither can anyone else.

BradfordLass72 Mon 26-Aug-19 01:39:01

As usual, I'm going to swim against the flow grin

I have never worn makeup because I believe I look my best exactly as I am and deceiving myself that I'll look better if my eyes, skin and lips are painted is ridiculous.

But each to his own; I'm not preaching just giving my opinion.

I can stand in front of the mirror and love my body just as it is in all its fat, saggy glory.

It has stood me in good stead for 72+ years.
It's nursed children and grandchildren, it has marched and walked and run on sturdy, strong legs, and swum and loved unceasingly for over 7 decades with very little need for repair. What appliance does that?

It houses a mind and intellect which some people would (and have) put down but I have achieved amazing things and encouraged others to do so over my years as a teacher.

I am not a success as the world sees it; I own no property, my bank balance (basic State pension) is adequate for my needs as I live simply and I don't crave luxuries.

I do not long to be anything other than what I am and when I look in the mirror, I am happy indeed with the old, wrinkled, contented woman who looks back.

Brunette10 Mon 26-Aug-19 08:37:47

Marydoll - you have no idea how right you are 'story of my life' missing opportunities wink

Calendargirl Mon 26-Aug-19 08:48:42

A couple of years ago, DH and I went to the crematorium on the 45th anniversary of DF’s death. Unknown to us, my sister and her husband who live away also happened to choose same time as us. She later told me that when they saw us at a distance leaving the Book of Remembrance Room, they both thought “Oh, that’s an old couple over there”.
I was most put out as they are both older than us, and IMHO, certainly look it!

Pittcity Mon 26-Aug-19 08:53:56

As long as I don't look like the BBC news stock film of older people...now showing to accompany the free TV Licence story. Please shoot me when I buy a Husky Fleecewink

Nortsat46 Mon 26-Aug-19 08:55:31

Marydoll I haven't been on any of the Edinburgh meet-ups (live in London), however happy to confirm how svelte, stylish and chic you are.

I wouldn't say you look about 40 though ... more like 39 ... ?

Marydoll Mon 26-Aug-19 09:07:33

Nortsat, thank you! How kind of you. smile
I don't want to offend you, but have you been to Specsavers recently? grin

Have you noticed that my ex friend Brunette, still hasn't confirmed how stunning I am? wink

TwiceAsNice Mon 26-Aug-19 10:50:21

I have managed to stay reasonably slim and still have decent legs ( so I’m told) so don’t wear heels but still like pretty sandals . I have good skin and my neck is not wrinkled yet . I don’t think I look too bad and feel happy in my own skin. I do hate looking at photos of myself though. I am 66 and healthy so count my blessings. We cannot expect to still look 30 unfortunately!

Brunette10 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:13:49

On No Marydoll !not ex friend. Of course you are chic, svelte, stunning and look so young that your ageing process unlike everyone must have been put on hold, your personality has no bounds. Wonderful, caring person you are. If I think of any other kind words I shall return wink.

Marydoll Mon 26-Aug-19 12:30:19

Please try!??

Janiepops Mon 26-Aug-19 12:40:32

Oldandverygrey. Another wow,how did you do that?? I really need to lose 4 stones,please share your advice and experience. ???

lemongrove Mon 26-Aug-19 12:40:32

We all want Brunette as a friend now.?

lemongrove Mon 26-Aug-19 12:42:52

I can confirm though, that when Marydoll walks into The Argy Bargy Bar in her ginger wig, mini kilt and lurex cold shoulder shortie top, she gets plenty of male attention!

Brunette10 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:11:25

Still thinking Marydoll?

Brunette10 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:11:46

Lemongrove the more friends the merrier I would say!!!

Oldandverygrey Mon 26-Aug-19 16:56:22

Janie I took myself along to SW and was determined to shift the bulk and just kept going. No quick fix really, got a scraggy neck, but at last I have got a waist! Although I am fast hurtling towards 80 my husband says I never look any different (what a joker!)