Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving anxiety

(33 Posts)
ineedamum Sat 24-Aug-19 18:10:16

I've had refresher lessons and the feedback was your driving is fine- but your confidence had gone today, (I am stressed)
He didn't suggest further lessons but said have you thought about a small automatic just to deal with your confidence first? He said if I'm honest you may not pass your test (I passed ten years ago) but it's just your confidence.

I did drive two hours through a city centre though after a stressful week (I had a bout of IBS, which is rare that's how bad my week was!)

I'm not in a good place to buy a car today- but how have other people coped with driving anxiety?

Fennel Sun 25-Aug-19 09:31:26

I gave up driving a few months ago. We have an automatic car, there's a short upstep from the accelerator to the brake and my foot got stuck. Pressed the accelerator instead of the brake in an emergency situation shock.
TG I reacted by swerving at the last second. That was it, keep death off the road.
I'm over 80 btw,. Like Diane we have a good bus service here.

starbird Sun 25-Aug-19 09:49:03

I’m another nervous driver and an even worse passenger. Luckily there is a good bus service in town but sometimes you just want to go further. The routes I do regularly I’m OK with and even enjoy - but I don’t like town traffic and I know I wait too long at junctions and roundabouts because I want a good gap, where others would just go even if it causes another driver to brake. I would love an automatic but there’s no money for a better car - mine would be worth £300 at most if I sell it! It does not help my confidence knowing that as an old model it does not have the safety features that a newer car has - if hit it would just crumble to nothing .....

gt66 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:33:42

After 42 years of driving, I'm still confident, but fully endorse the suggestion of an automatic. I love mine! Wanted one for years, but DH always said they're expensive if they go wrong. I got my way eventually and would never go back to a manual, but that's mainly because of the ease of use when in traffic jams!

Fiachna56 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:42:12

I tried learning to drive many years ago and decided it was not for me. Just my own opinion but I felt Id rather use public transport than risking an accident due to my anxiety. I understand this may not be practical for others, especially if you live rurally. I have heard that an automatic car may be the answer, many folks I know think they are helpful. The person who suggested the test drive is a good idea,you could try the automatic without commitment and see what you think.In my opinion, I feel the standard of driving these days has deteriorated greatly(Im not meaning anyone on here). I am happy to use public transport, though have been involved in various campaigns to save our bus service in the last few years. Certainly you would need to drive if there is no public transport near you.

jura2 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:45:32

Not sure how to say this, but this thread makes me very uneasy. Again, this is sensitive- but is it time to stop driving if anxiety makes you 'unsure'. Sorry.

Atqui Sun 25-Aug-19 12:06:08

Yes - you don’t say how old you aren’t ineedamon. If you are still quite young you could have some therapy perhaps, but if elderly perhaps as Jura says

Fennel Sun 25-Aug-19 12:15:57

Driving conditions in the UK have changed so much in the last 20-30 years. More people have a car, some have 2 or 3. Cars are bigger and faster.
There are many more and bigger transport vehicles on the roads. Road systems in towns are constantly changing, and motorway driving is becoming more congested. Especially in our small country.
Driving was a pleasure when we were in rural France, but it's no pleasure here. And I had been driving for about 60 years.
It's been a relief to decide to stop.