Gransnet forums


What to do

(5 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Sat 24-Aug-19 18:35:55

Hi all retired 3 strokes, lung problems sold my house due to strokes couldn’t manage stairs and to many memories of wife who passed Boxing Day 2017, and I had my 3 stroke Boxing Day 2018 so moved in with eldest daughter and 2 grandchildren, for recovery took 12 months, have another daughter and 3 grandchildren another area stayed with her for while, awaiting further test as doctors not happy with me, but getting fed up of being used as children sitter and cash machine, sometimes feel like disappearing on cruise or buying small flat not to far, not ready for some sort of home, as can still drive and basic chores do forget things and no friends seems like they all disappeared advice.

Mickyboy67 Sat 24-Aug-19 18:36:14


EllanVannin Sat 24-Aug-19 19:10:49

Do you have a supported housing scheme in your area ?
It's for those who still enjoy independent living in a rented flat/apartment/bungalow but have the option of paying for a support officer to call in on you should the need arise if you have existing health problems.

Diane227 Sat 24-Aug-19 19:11:18

Micky. I would do what makes you content. Maybe a short holiday first would be enough to test the water of going it alone then perhaps a move to flat where you can get some peace or try for sheltered housing ? Maybe you need to speak to your family about how you are feeling at present as they might not know you are wanting your own life back.
I dont know if there is a bowling green near you but lots of men take that up. Its gentle exercise and you will make new friends.
Hope all goes well.

shysal Sat 24-Aug-19 19:17:29

Your idea of a flat nearby is a good one. I wouldn't think living with grandchildren is very restful for you. It has been good of your daughters to have you staying with them, but possibly a bit stressful all round. Find a nice place in which to do as you please, close to family and doctor/hospital.
Best wishes for a continued recovery and peace! smile