Gransnet forums

Chat

What car would you wise people recommend

(76 Posts)
Artdecogran Wed 28-Aug-19 13:07:35

Currently drive a Citroen Xsara Picasso (when it works that is), and I am having to replace it. What car would you recommend. I am tall and large so need to have a lot of room ie adjustable steering wheel and seat. Mostly short journeys but occasional motorways, would buy second hand not new. Driveway on full view so less temptation for thieves. Any car you would either recommend or condemn as unreliable. Thanks in advance.

Jaxie Mon 02-Sep-19 10:13:59

How about a Nissan Note? It has a high driving position, is totally reliable and quite cheap bought second hand.

Magrithea Sun 01-Sep-19 14:59:05

Have a look at Honest John's page (www.honestjohn.co.uk) - he writes an advice page in the Telegraph but also reviews cars, gives advice and so on

Evie64 Sat 31-Aug-19 13:49:05

Toyota Yaris, roomier inside than you would think and the reversing camera has prevented a few knocks.

Lyn54 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:01:27

Another for the Nissan Juke, love it!

Katek Fri 30-Aug-19 10:41:38

Renault Captur......I have the 1.5 auto and love it. Much roomier inside than you might think, high driving position and lots of bells and whistles. Sat nav, cruise control, speed limiter, Bluetooth connectivity etc,. and very economical at around 46mpg. This is my second Captur and I would seriously consider another one. Never had any problems with it at all.

GrannyBeek Fri 30-Aug-19 10:19:36

I love my Kia Venga. Had a Kia Picanto for 8 years with no problems at all, but needed something a bit larger for GCs and dogs. Higher driving position is great for elderly knees.

Auntieflo Fri 30-Aug-19 08:13:14

Has anyone got a Ford KA+ active? I have ordered one, and am taking delivery in October.
At the moment I have a 16 year old Mitsubishi Equippe, and she has been superb, but is now old and tired like me!
Any hints and tips gratefully received.

Jaye53 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:07:37

Fiesta.Ford of course. Roomy.big boot too.but also for the automatic demisting windscreen in winter..

CocoPops Fri 30-Aug-19 03:43:29

How about riding a bike or using public transport?
Or as others have suggested an electric car or a hybrid?

Joplin Fri 30-Aug-19 02:29:21

Honda Jazz Hybrid. The magic seats are amazing & very versatile & it's quite economical, especially on longish journeys. Road tax only £10 pa.

Coolgran65 Fri 30-Aug-19 01:36:26

Dh has had 3 Qashqais and loved them but just for a change got a Toyota Rav 4. It's used as the main car and we love it. Sits high, has all the extras and can carry so much on a run to the dump.

I've had a couple of Fiestas which were great, a Meriva that I hated, felt it didn't corner well and was actually glad when the power steering went and it proved too costly to fix. A Toyota Corolla that was a dream and I only got rid of it at ten years old because I came into a wee bit of money and it seemed sensible to change.
Ford Focus I loved to bits, great boot space, not a negative to be found. Present car is a wee Toyota Yaris. Three years old. Easy to park. No longer need a big boot. Normally we are in dh car.

Michael65 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:56:39

No brainier BMW 2 Series Tourer. Will do everything you need and much more.

Dana6789 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:53:49

Another endorsement for the Nissan Juke. I love that I feel so high up. It's been totally reliable has a great reversing/ forwarding camera, Bluetooth and satnavsmile

Legs55 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:16:55

I drive a 1.4 Ford Fiesta Automatic, I can drive a manual car but changed to automatic due to problems with my left leg swelling up. I love my car, drives superbly on motorway or country roads, it's roomy, plenty of leg room & a good sized boot. I must admit I do love Fordssmile

Selsey99 Thu 29-Aug-19 21:13:12

Mazda CX5 love it

Iam64 Thu 29-Aug-19 20:34:15

Fiat 500L. Room for three baby seats in the back and three dogs in the boot. Easy to drive, economical and enough oomph for the motorway.

Callistemon Thu 29-Aug-19 19:57:54

Or a hybrid.

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 18:47:59

An electric one.

FranT Thu 29-Aug-19 18:04:18

My husband has had a great variety of mobility cars, he needed them to be roomy as he was big & tall, and accessible due to his mobility problems. Just before he died he announced that the last car he got, being a Skoda Yeti, was by far the best car he had ever had on all counts, he absolutely loved it! I must admit as a passenger, it was very comfy and smooth running.

Musicgirl Thu 29-Aug-19 17:59:59

My DD is learning to drive in an automatic as she was not suited to a manual so we traded my Toyota Aygo for a Nissan Note. It is spacious, easy to get in and out of, has a large boot, plenty of leg room in the front as far as l am aware, mid-size and drives like a dream. My friend had a Picasso and loved it but does not like the newer version. She felt the Note was the nearest to the Picasso she had come across.

mumofmadboys Thu 29-Aug-19 17:57:01

Toyota Corolla hybrid. Very pleased with it. Had it for 3 months. Over 60 miles per gallon

Marmight Thu 29-Aug-19 17:40:31

Last year I changed my Honda CRV, which I loved not least because it was the last car DH bought, but which needed to be replaced for various reasons, for a VolvoXC60. Has all the ‘add-ons’ is comfortable, plenty of room for long tall bodies and just keeps going. Great for the GCs, has capacious boot space, has plenty of power and is a joy to drive. I cover quite a few miles each year so need to be safe as well as comfortable Would certainly recommend

Luckygirl Thu 29-Aug-19 15:55:27

I have driven VW Polos for years and definitely no grumbles. They are reliable and hold their value well.

Vivian123 Thu 29-Aug-19 15:48:33

I have just taken possession of a Toyota Corolla Hybrid Estate. There is plenty of leg room, adjustable seats and steering wheel. It even parks itself and is very comfortable. I acquired this vehicle under the Motability scheme. This enables people with disabilities to be provided with a suitable car, for very little cost. The only cost is the petrol. Mileage is, apparently, 804 miles to the tank, so should be cheap to run.

Luvinthis Thu 29-Aug-19 15:38:47

Citroen Picasso... DdiL just getting rid of hers, had called it the Merde Mobile almost since she got it. I'm currently driving Peugeot 3008 automatic, it's our second, this one is even better than the original.