Gransnet forums

Chat

Naming a house

(80 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 30-Aug-19 13:46:02

Moving to a very small square boring 1960’s bungalow. Just for a laugh and because I can do what I like now I thought I would transform it into a cottage inside. Lots of wood, chintz and pink (have 3 sons so always been masculine colours) flowers, crotcheted blankets and lace. But I want a name to match. I have thought of Cuckoo Cottage as I’m heading that way. What would you call a cottage if you had one?

Nona4ever Sat 31-Aug-19 10:15:03

I remember the Scouser whose home was called Zaraus - has to be said out loud!

Grandmablue Sat 31-Aug-19 10:19:50

Yaffle Cottage ... how original and apt ... good choice ... I hope you are very happy there :-)

shysal Sat 31-Aug-19 10:22:00

I love the name Yaffle Cottage. I enjoy seeing and hearing the laughing yaffle of green woodpeckers in my garden.
If you are thinking of having decorative plates in your cottage, here is a suggestion!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bagpuss-and-Professor-Yaffle-Banbury-Mint-Collectors-Plate-2000/254295616576?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

sarahanew Sat 31-Aug-19 10:39:51

Good idea and it will be a conversation starter

Theoddbird Sat 31-Aug-19 10:42:30

I live on a narrow boat. Boats have to have names. When in dry dock I renamed mine Circle of Peace. If I had a house I would call it the same...

Aepgirl Sat 31-Aug-19 10:46:32

My then husband and I both had the initials ‘GG’ so I wanted to call our house ‘The Stable’. However, since he walked out on me I now refer to it as ‘The horse has bolted ‘.

Riggie Sat 31-Aug-19 11:07:26

Our house has a name already. When the terrace was built (1912) the houses had names rather than numbers. I guess the numbering came later when the street was finished.
At some point I plan to get a plaque with both the name and number.

Its St Elmo. Who was the patron saint of Italian sailors!!!

Jacqui1956 Sat 31-Aug-19 11:12:04

We live in Pinfold Lodge as we are beside a stone Pinfold. A Pinfold was an enclosure for stray animals. It’s a large stone circle with a wooden door. The animals were put inside and a toll had to be paid to get your animal out. It dates back to the 18th century and is a listed building. We live very rural!

tiredoldwoman Sat 31-Aug-19 11:14:00

My house is called The Hovel ! Self named ! I love my hovel !

Katyj Sat 31-Aug-19 11:26:03

We've just moved into a small end terrace.Decorations and furnishings in greys blues and greens with white blinds. I want to call mine the beach hut or something similar.

HettyMaud Sat 31-Aug-19 11:41:43

I read that very few homes are named after birds. So why not call it Blackbird Cottage perhaps?

narrowboatnan Sat 31-Aug-19 12:03:53

Our boat is Rum Toddy, named, not after an alcoholic drink, but two of our dogs, Rum and Toddy. Long gone but never forgotten.

There are lots of boats with quirky names on the inland waterways, 'Sir T Fiable' is one of my favourites.

In the village that I grew up in there was a bungalow called Adanac, which, according to it's owner, was Canada backwards.

Nona4Ever - love that one! Zaraus! Brilliant!

yggdrasil Sat 31-Aug-19 12:08:23

My grandparents' house was called Argwean
Arthur, Gwen and daughter Jeanie lived there

BradfordLass72 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:30:24

Love Yaffle Cottage

When I first moved to my present house, I joined a local pottery class and made a ceramic name plate, "Honeysuckle Cottage", something I have always wanted to call my home.
I intended to plant honeysuckle round the door.

Almost immediately the local Council declared Japanese honeysuckle a noxious weed, making it illegal to plant it.

The native NZ honeysuckle is a tree and nothing like the fragrant climber I remember from my childhood, so I gave my ceramic plaque away. sad

I had roses round the door for a while but 'Rose Cottage'
pretty though that is, wasn't the same.

Craftycat Sat 31-Aug-19 13:06:04

Ours was Hilltop Cottage - the name says it all! It was very cold up there in the winter.

Maremia Sat 31-Aug-19 13:10:24

Theoddbird, your home sounds lovely. Yes to the online party!!

Coolgran65 Sat 31-Aug-19 13:11:18

I would love to have a Honeysuckle Cottage with native common honeysuckle in the garden and at the door

Alas it wouldn’t suit our run of the mill semi but I do have a bunch of honeysuckle on my kitchen window sill at the moment picked on Thursday from the lane where my son lives. I’m going to propagate it.

Madmaggie Sat 31-Aug-19 13:30:54

Yaffle sounds superb. Well done you for embracing your inner chintz after a lifetime of being mindful of others on the decor front. Finally at age 69 I'm getting the sparkly bedroom ceiling light I always wanted - feels good doesn't it.

kittylester Sat 31-Aug-19 13:47:21

We live in part of a Victorian Board School which had been named 'Truants' by the previous owners.

4allweknow Sat 31-Aug-19 14:05:47

I once had a neighbour who named her cottage Dunpayin when she became mortgage free.

Kartush Sat 31-Aug-19 14:08:48

If I was going to name my house it would be called Dragonsin

Rosina Sat 31-Aug-19 14:11:17

My friend's house was called 'Chaos Cottage' . A well aimed football smashed the plaque some years ago and she hasn't replace it, sadly.

Charleygirl5 Sat 31-Aug-19 14:11:19

60 years ago my parents asked me to name the house. I fancied Shanlaragh which was a cosy Irish village. I still love the name.

Flowerofthewest Sat 31-Aug-19 14:11:22

I have seen a couple of houses named LLAMEDOS
(Read it backwards)

annodomini Sat 31-Aug-19 14:35:42

For a few months we lived in a cottage in Devon, called 'Amity Cottage'. What a lovely name that was.