Gransnet forums

Chat

Another new baby occasion

(70 Posts)
annsixty Mon 02-Sep-19 16:10:23

Or Unnecessary fuss.
My GD is going to a "Gender Reveal" party this afternoon.
I have heard Americans go in for this sort of thing but not heard of it here before.
The couple (young) are going for a twenty week scan at which the person doing the scan will write the sex on a card and seal it in an envelope.
They then take it to the florist/ balloon shop who fills a balloon with pink or blue confetti.
Family and friends are then invited to the house for a party where the couple will pop the balloon and then everyone including them will find out the sex of the baby.
Whatever next?

Iam64 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:16:10

It's another opportunity for friends, family and loved one's to get together and have a happy time. there will be cakes, fizz, cups of tea and fun.
If you don't want to go, don't go. But, why shouldn't people have a bit of light hearted fun if they want to. Of the young parents we know, one group who love to celebrate anything, go for gender reveal parties. The other group feel a bit anxious about too much celebrating before the baby arrives safely. Live n let live. There's so much stress and angst around currently, a bit of what you fancy can't be all bad.

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-19 08:51:23

Absolutely Iam - but live and let live should also include an understanding that many people might not want to attend your party because they find them tacky/uninteresting/overly commercial/whatever. That doesn't make these people 'crabby old bat faces' as was suggested upthread, or boring, or unable to enjoy the whole 'someone is pregnant and having a boy or a girl as has happened over millennia' thing.

discodiva Tue 03-Sep-19 10:10:53

I've just seen this on Grace & Frankie show. Thought it was a joke - obviously not. How sad really. Another way for business to make money out of us - if of course we let them, which we shouldn't.

I had no idea what sex our babies were until the second they popped out!

knspol Tue 03-Sep-19 10:12:35

My only thought is that personally I would want it to be a special and private moment between partner and myself - maybe I'm strange.

Nona4ever Tue 03-Sep-19 10:37:20

I had an amniocentesis with my 3rd child and the technician performing it asked if I wanted to know the baby’s sex - he was in no doubt about it. My husband didn’t want to know so he left the room. I wasn’t in the least bothered by the sex - I was already lucky enough to have a healthy boy and girl. It was a boy. My husband absolutely refused to know so I had several months trying desperately not to drop any hints. The best bit though was when we were discussing names. He came up with - in my opinion- some appalling female names, which I wouldn’t have even given to a pet hamster. But I responded enthusiastically and put them on a list which I knew would be totally irrelevant.

Jillyblom59 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:42:00

Call me superstitious but I prefer to wait until the baby is born all safe and sound before I start celebrating. Heaven forbid that something should go wrong and they lose the baby when they have already had all the celebrations and gifts etc. What happened to waiting until the baby is born?
We are so impatient today.
As a retired midwife, there was nothing nicer than when the first thing the parents asked as the baby was born was, “ have we got a boy or a girl?”
It’s like opening all your presents before Christmas.

Patticake123 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:43:49

Consumerism gone mad. I wonder if we’ll ever get the genie back in the bottle, allowing market forces to invade our private lives?

luluaugust Tue 03-Sep-19 10:59:24

MiniMoon, you did make me smile, we all have our own ways of working out the babies sex! I had to have an Xray just before my son was born and looking it I could see a pronounced crown to the head. I said to the man doing the Xray its a boy but he just laughed. Nice to be right about something. I am afraid my superstitious old granny would be horrified about all the pre-baby goings on now, I wasn't allowed to have the pram in the house until baby arrived.

Pittcity Tue 03-Sep-19 11:00:22

I remember having to go to the orthopedic department for scans in the 80s as the hospital only had one machine. Wasn't fussed about the sex as long as baby was healthy.

Saggi Tue 03-Sep-19 11:01:47

Airy-bloody-fairy!!

Busset135 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:08:46

I know someone who did a gender reveal for the grandparents, she had had an advanced form of IVF and the grandparents didn’t know the gender reveal was happening .They had gone to watch a big local football match and the parents made the announcement at half time In those situations yes given the problems she had had,but normally I would think it just a money spinner

Mossfarr Tue 03-Sep-19 11:27:57

I quite like the idea of a gender reveal party but for me it would be just a simple family affair.

I didn't know the sex of my two - but I would have loved to have known. Both born in the 80's scans were not available. I could have had amniocentesis tests but they carried a slight risk of miscarriage and I didn't have the money to pay the £100 they wanted anyway!

I was lucky, I got a boy then a girl, exactly what I had wanted but through my second pregnancy I constantly fretted in case I was upset if I had another boy.

Stupid I know, we love them regardless!

Sparklefairydust Tue 03-Sep-19 11:29:31

My GD kept her legs together at all scans, including all the private ones they paid for trying to find out if she was boy or girl!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:49:08

I agree, dear pendant, gender is a term in grammar and this mealy-mouthed Americanism of substituting "gender" for "sex" when referring to whether some person or animal is male or female gets my goat too!

As far as I know even at the height of Victorian prudishness it was possible to talk about the sex of an infant.

In that same era, when Spain was still about the most intensely Catholic country in Europe, glass water jugs were common christening presents. The spouts were made to resemble the genital organ of the newly baptised child.

Laurely Tue 03-Sep-19 13:17:42

Minniemoo: I might have agreed with you a few years ago, but one of my DDs found out at her 20-week scan that the baby had a cleft lip and palate, and that it was a boy. In that case, we had time to find out what the first couple of years might be like - and knowing the extra fact, that he was a boy, was helpful.

(He is now a delightful, bright, social child with a sense of humour. Repairs so far have gone well, though further surgery will be needed later. He walked late, but his arms were splinted, twice, after ops, at a time when he was ready to crawl. Talking is indistinct, but he is getting there. That info is for anyone faced with similar situation. Don't call it a 'hare lip'; 'cleft' is more acceptable.)

H1954 Tue 03-Sep-19 13:22:11

I have a niece who makes gender reveal cakes for parties. It's getting to be quite a lucrative business and she feels so privileged to know the babies sex before the parents. The cakes are beautifully decorated too with neutral colours and nursery themed characters etc, it's only when the cake is cut that the colour of the sponge is seen! Delicious cakes too!

whywhywhy Tue 03-Sep-19 13:27:34

I think all this gender stuff has gone a bit too far. I am all for a party but not sure about this one. Annsixty - congratulations on the wonderful news of a new baby on the way.

sodapop Tue 03-Sep-19 13:40:54

I agree entirely SirChenjin

Thanks MOnica I didn't think scans were available as early as that.

Millie8 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:32:00

Baby showers. Gender reveal parties, now I have just found out they have push parties .......... whatever next !!!!!

Juliet27 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:27:17

With all the LGBT publicity lately I thought a ‘gender reveal’ party was for adults!

annsixty Tue 03-Sep-19 15:32:23

whywhywhy
Very sadly it isnt me who is expecting a new baby in the family, it was my GD who was going to the party.
My AC are way past new babies but I might live long enough to see GGC.
Just not yet?

Shoequeen53 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:35:04

Having lost my younger son at 34 weeks, this makes me shudder. The thought that we could have done this, only to end up with no baby would have made our heartache even worse.

knickas63 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:45:13

I have actually noticed a trend towards not knowing what sex the baby is until it is born. A bit of a backlash against the whole baby shower/gender reveal scene. Of the 5 young expectant couples in my circle - 3 of them have chosen not to know.

Calendargirl Tue 03-Sep-19 16:07:40

Nowadays, they seem to know everything before the baby is born. The sex, the due date, the weight. So names are chosen, the nursery decorated in the correct colour, nothing much as a surprise. Personally I would have hated all this fuss and nonsense, but as others have said, whatever floats your boat.

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-19 16:12:20

now I have just found out they have push parties

What on earth is a push party??!