Gransnet forums

Chat

Another new baby occasion

(70 Posts)
annsixty Mon 02-Sep-19 16:10:23

Or Unnecessary fuss.
My GD is going to a "Gender Reveal" party this afternoon.
I have heard Americans go in for this sort of thing but not heard of it here before.
The couple (young) are going for a twenty week scan at which the person doing the scan will write the sex on a card and seal it in an envelope.
They then take it to the florist/ balloon shop who fills a balloon with pink or blue confetti.
Family and friends are then invited to the house for a party where the couple will pop the balloon and then everyone including them will find out the sex of the baby.
Whatever next?

MissAdventure Tue 03-Sep-19 16:24:30

A party to honour the pregnancy, apparently. hmm
I expect we'll have conception parties soon.

annsixty Tue 03-Sep-19 16:38:12

I googled that and it is a gift your significant other gives you (at a party I presume) for going through nine months of pregnancy, how brave these special women are.
It must be very, very expensive according to the bits I read.
Petrol station flowers will not cut the mustard.

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-19 16:48:09

I feel like I missed out on so many things during my pregnancy - DH will be getting a stern talking to when he gets home from work.

How expensive are we talking here, just out of interest....?

annsixty Tue 03-Sep-19 17:00:24

Anything from diamonds to cruises apparently.
My Sainbury's order has just arrived so I can't check again yet.

Aepgirl Tue 03-Sep-19 17:11:26

Just another excuse to receive presents. Just ridiculous.

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-19 17:11:49

Right - I’m putting in a back order for 3 DC!

paddyann Tue 03-Sep-19 17:59:07

Being really old fashioned I always believed my healthy children were the best gift for my pregnancies ,they were all I wanted and I have been so grateful for having them all their lives.
I dont understand "push presents" or the women who think they should get them .

4allweknow Tue 03-Sep-19 18:26:19

Been going on in the UK for a few years now following on from the baby shower. They are both money making occasions brought over from USA. In a wee while we will be having "we had sex and hope for a baby" celebrations. Can't stand them and have refused invites to both types of occasions.

narrowboatnan Tue 03-Sep-19 18:52:33

Here you are. Gender reveal explained ?

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-19 18:58:25

gringrin

annsixty Tue 03-Sep-19 19:18:54

Brilliant.
I really am behind the times, I didn’t know these things went on.

Merryweather Tue 03-Sep-19 20:01:37

Not knowing if I would get to the golden 24/26 gestation I always found out as soon as could. I've had multiple mc over the years and I'm extremely grateful to the staff who scanned, handheld, treated, looked after me an them when both were born at 30 weeks.
I think knowing the sex was another tick in the box towards having a baby. Another pregnancy milestone hit.

I agree a sex reveal is going too far. As are push presents and baby showers. Why can't people just keep things to themselves these days. It seems they think the world need to know in big brash detail.
Sorry just my humble opinion x

Legs55 Tue 03-Sep-19 20:01:50

When I was expecting DD in 1980 I was offered an ultrasound to check my due date, Hospital was trialing a scanner, I was asked if I wanted to know sex of my baby, no I opted to wait.

DD wanted to know sex of baby with DGC2, she & her OH payed for a private scan as NHS one wasn't clear enough. Only reason she wanted to know was they already had DGS1, small 2 bedroom house, turned out to be another boy. DGS1 had gone with them, he was so excited he rang me as soon as they got back to the car.

DD's best friend organised a "baby shower" for DGS2, DD didn't really want it but went along with it, I was away & missed it that was good planninggrin

I hate the idea of reveal partys, why would you let some-one else know firstconfused

jacig Wed 04-Sep-19 04:54:20

I'm getting a new GC in February. Although my DD & SiL will find out the gender no-one is being told. Thre is always a small chance the scan is wrong and she doesn't want too promise a girl/boy to her son and not produce the right one at the end. My G/S is autistic and takes everything literally, I don't want to know the gender I just want another G/C to cuddle & spoil.

Luvinthis Wed 04-Sep-19 14:16:01

American frends living abroad wanted to discover baby's gender somewhere more romantic than the doctor's office. They took the envelope to a cafe, where they handed it to (English as second laguage) waiter, asking if they could have a cake iced saying whether it was a boy or a girl. In time, cake arrived. On the top was written 'whether it was a boy or a girl'! ?

watermeadow Wed 04-Sep-19 19:46:07

I cannot understand these celebrations before a baby is born.
Things can go dreadfully wrong during pregnancy and birth.
The time for joy and presents is after a baby has arrived safely.

Fronkydonky Thu 05-Sep-19 11:14:23

The biggest and best surprise to me was when the midwife told us what gender our babies were, in the delivery room once they had arrived. The only scan we had, was to check for spinabifida & the only people who were told the gender of the child, were women who were at risk of passing on a genetic condition which may cause serious health issues when the child was growing up. Control freaks need to know these days, but would it change their emotions if they discovered the baby was not what they were hoping for? Every baby is a gift in my opinion and we should be darned grateful for what we get. Gender reveal parties and baby showers are just money spinners and did not exist in the 80’s. We were just grateful our babies were healthy and perfect. I think it’s another thing we have adopted from over the pond, along with Halloween parties. I do not remember celebrating that in the 60’s&70’s growing up and I do not remember it being a thing to celebrate in the 80’s either when my children grew up.

moggie57 Thu 05-Sep-19 11:19:13

anything for money....

Nanna58 Thu 05-Sep-19 11:49:21

I think it sounds lovely. I’ll get my coat.......