Gransnet forums

Chat

If this blooming carer....

(66 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 05-Sep-19 09:41:10

..........does not stop talking I might go mad!!!

She is a live-in and she has talked non-stop like a machine-gun ever since she woke me at 7 to give OH a suppository! Stifled scream icon required here!!

She is going on Saturday!

Nvella Fri 06-Sep-19 14:30:05

I have a cleaner like this. She follows me around the house talking to me, including outside the loo. I pay her for 3 hours - I doubt she does more than 2. I have mug written across my forehead (and yes I know - first world problems!)

Shizam Fri 06-Sep-19 18:45:23

Tell her you are now going to meditate for an hour and need peace and quiet.

Evie64 Fri 06-Sep-19 21:02:02

Oh this has made me laugh! Unfortunately I am one of those "say it like it is" sort of people when I run out of patience. I'd have been sorely tempted to shout WILL YOU SHUT UP! grin

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 17:17:01

New carer has arrived and she is lovely, but..............she is ill!! She has streaming cold and hacking cough!

The previous carer arrived in the same state and I have only just recovered from the bronchitis that ensued for me.

I went to fetch her from the station and she asked if the agency had told me about her bug, as she had been concerned about spreading it, and asked them to tell me, which they didn't. I have just driven her here from the station in the car so will no doubt get the bug.

Should I have turned her round and told her to get on the next train back? - gawd knows. But we cannot manage without a carer.

OH has very strong immune system and seldom gets bugs - but he is at high risk of chest infection is he does.

And I get everything that is going! - especially now I am on this blessed denosumab which is not good for immune system.

It is just one thing after another. Little sigh.

GrannySomerset Sat 07-Sep-19 18:30:13

Not the result you were hoping for! Hope you can avoid infection though how she could just turn up like that baffles me. Still, let’s hope she is good at her job and recovers quickly.

Lessismore Sat 07-Sep-19 18:34:01

i am so very sorry for your dilemma but maybe time to reconsider the situation.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 18:51:14

To be fair to her, she told the agency and asked them to contact me so I could decide what to do - but they did not make contact. It is difficult as I can see she is ill.

cornergran Sat 07-Sep-19 19:12:41

Probably too late lucky but a Consultant recommenced the nasal spray (Dual Defence) that Boots sell, it apparently kills the bugs that invade the nose. Sceptical as ever I tried it and it does seem to work. Not sure how. The agency really hasn’t played fair to you or the carer, good that the carer seems nice though, here’s hoping you and your husband stay well and she recovers quickly.

Lessismore Sat 07-Sep-19 20:34:12

Ok so she has hardly even entered your home and there are issues with boundaries.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 20:44:03

Life's not easy for you Luckygirl. I hope you and DH stay well.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 22:21:57

Difficult to set a boundary round viruses! They tend to go their own way!

merlotgran Sat 07-Sep-19 22:33:38

We take high strength echinacea at the beginning of autumn and continue throughout the winter. If you get a cold you can double the dose.

So difficult to keep away from viruses as winter approaches. Fingers crossed you don't get it.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 22:39:00

I will ferret around in the cupboards and see if I can find any.

Auntieflo Sat 07-Sep-19 22:59:15

Oh Lucky, if it's not one thing it's another.

But, by the time you get the bug, if you get it, she will be feeling much better and can look after you as well as your DH.

You need a bit of looking after, so try and relax and go with the flow.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound flippant, but do take care.

Lessismore Sun 08-Sep-19 10:24:08

Lucky, sorry if I sound harsh, it just makes me cross on your behalf. You are an employer, not a carer for the carer!