Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember?Scraps.

(31 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 07-Sep-19 18:40:54

I used to love scraps when I was about 10 in the 50s. They were coloured stickers on various themes, animals,dolls, sport etc. We used to pass the shop after school to buy a new set to put in a scrapbook. There was something magic about them.

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 18:42:43

Oh I thought you meant fish shop scraps - love those grin

KatyK Sat 07-Sep-19 18:43:45

I only remember fish and chip shop scraps too!

kircubbin2000 Sat 07-Sep-19 18:46:59

We don't have those here.

Witzend Sat 07-Sep-19 18:49:34

I'd love to find some - and a nice big scrap book. I'm sure the Gdcs would enjoy sticking them in.
I did try googling for them a while ago, but no luck.
Those packs of Victorian style scraps are what I have in mind. Anyone know where you can get them?

M0nica Sat 07-Sep-19 18:52:33

I remember scraps, an occasional treat, before the days when I got pocket money and some were always found in my Christmas stocking.

BlueBelle Sat 07-Sep-19 18:53:36

We still get fish and chip shop scraps
No I don’t remember your scraps kircub although i did used to get sheets to cut out for scrap books I think I vaguely remember

SilverDarlings12 Sat 07-Sep-19 18:56:59

Look up "Victorian Style Scraps" Kirc. There are many. Slainte.

Desdemona Sat 07-Sep-19 18:57:40

Scraps (the chip shop sort) were known as scrumps in Bristol. I recently asked my local chip shop owner if they were still available and he said they weren't because of "food hygiene rules." Seems odd.

Brunette10 Sat 07-Sep-19 19:02:32

Oh yes I remember scraps, loved them. Seem to remember waterbabies or something similar with wings. Know that sounds silly but that’s all I can remember, they seem to come in different sizes. Loved swapping them with my friends.

gillyknits Sat 07-Sep-19 19:06:59

Ah yes! Paper scraps. They were saved and swapped and treasured in the fifties. I saved my pocket money to buy sheets of scraps in cellophane packets. Some of the Victorian ones were very beautiful and coveted for their rarity. I kept mine in a box, which I’ve kept for sixty years and have now transferred into an album. Sadly my GD wasn’t really interested when I showed them to her.☹️

ninathenana Sat 07-Sep-19 19:09:11

Chip shop scraps are called cracklin' where I am.
I never did picture scraps.

Sussexborn Sat 07-Sep-19 19:09:28

I had a scrap book with pictures of the Beatles. My middle brother drew spectacles, beards and moustaches on all of the pictures in ink! Can you sense the indignation I still feel?

We used to buy a 4d bag of chips and ask if they had any scraps. Walking home from ballet on a cold winters night.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Sep-19 19:11:44

My DMIL had a store of them with scrapbooks that she got out when she had my children round. They loved them.

I suppose they’ve been replaced by stickers now.

rubysong Sat 07-Sep-19 19:13:38

I have made scrapbooks for my DGC when they were starting to talk. Mostly pictures cut from magazines, usually of people doing funny things, food, animals etc. It helped their vocabularies and was fun to go through with them, talking about the pictures. I remember Princess Beatrice's hat made an appearance in one of them.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Sep-19 19:13:55

Batter scraps are bits round here. There’s a fish shop somewhere in the locality called Wi’bits.

AnnS1 Sat 07-Sep-19 19:14:27

Sure there were crinoline lady ones

rockgran Sat 07-Sep-19 19:21:24

I remember my sister having them - there seemed to be lots of cherubs.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 20:47:14

We had them given to us at Sunday School. They were lovely. I used to love a scrap book.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 20:49:13

Marks and Sparks include a little packet of batter scraps in with their packs of fish and chips. I eat them all before any of it goes in the oven.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 20:51:53

gillyknits kids can be a bit disappointing sometimes can't they! grin

MamaCaz Sat 07-Sep-19 20:52:01

'Bits' were I grew up too (near Huddersfield), Maggiemaybe. Mmm, loved them smile

Never heard of the paper scraps, but i think i must be at least 10 years younger than the OP.

TerriBull Sat 07-Sep-19 20:54:39

Yes I posted about them on some thread or other, relating to memories about childhood I think. I was at junior school in the early 60s, they were a big thing then, we'd bring in books with scraps between pages, I coveted sets of angels and cherubs. Wannabe scrap collectors like myself were prone to cut out pictures and stick those between the pages as scrap substitutessad I think I got my hands on a few packets of the real thing from time to time, probably after a lot of badgering and whining blush

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 20:57:47

I only remember the scraps from fish and chip shops, although I did have a scrapbook, but put all sorts into that, pressed flowers, pictures etc.

Littleannie Sat 07-Sep-19 21:01:18

I think I saw some in Hobbycraft, though they may have been stickers. They have scrapbooks.