Gransnet forums

Chat

I shouldn't laugh but ........

(26 Posts)
Willow500 Thu 12-Sep-19 11:37:30

We have finally gotten round to decorating my husband's bedroom which of course means the whole upstairs is a mess (why does it affect every room?!). We spent yesterday emptying it out and moving furniture, clearing out 10 years of clothes which no longer fit him (4 large bags currently in my car for the charity shop), dismantling the wardrobe he's always hated and setting him up in the spare single bedroom. This morning he is at work so I went in to wake him at 5.45 only to hear him mumbling something about the floor. I opened the door again and looked properly and there he was in bed actually on the floor - the bed had collapsed during the night and the mattress had fallen through the frame! I was naturally full of concern as I came downstairs but secretly found it quite funny. Things that go bump in the night grin

annep1 Thu 12-Sep-19 12:03:39

Poor man lol

Auntieflo Thu 12-Sep-19 12:13:07

Oh Willow of course you didn't laugh, did you? You were full of concern ?.
By the way, has your DH lost weight, or put it on, hence the collapsed bed?
Just asking being nosy, re the discarded clothes that no longer fit.

sodapop Thu 12-Sep-19 14:12:09

Sorry but I would have laughed too. Hope your husband is ok Willow500

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Sep-19 14:16:18

During revamping the garden my sister fell backwards over a bag of cement, full legs in the air scenario.

Naturally I first made sure that she hadn't sustained any damage for what passes for a brain - then I doubled up with laughter.

tanith Thu 12-Sep-19 14:38:03

Oh dear I would of also laughed I hope he’s ok?

Several years ago DH was mowing the back lawn and at that time we had a raised fish pond. He would insist on walking backwards with the mower no matter how many I warned him this might happen. So he backed up to the pond ended up falling backwards over the edge which was 2ft from the ground, of course his legs shot up with the mower as he sat backwards into the pond cutting what I thought were his toes off as he was screaming so much by this time. I managed to wrestle the mower off him it thankfully cut out as soon as he released the handle, grabbed his hands to stop him falling right in as it was deep and his bum was wedged on a shelf.
Inspected his feet, no blood just not much trainer left he was so lucky.
But then we both laughed so much I couldn’t get him out he just sat half in legs out in fits. We had to calm down before eventually we managed to get him out. I can still laugh about it even though DH isn’t with me anymore.
A lovely memory.

Willow500 Thu 12-Sep-19 21:25:13

Husband was fine thanks - he's just put the bed back together tonight and screwed the slats in which he hadn't done before - hence the collapse - hopefully tonight will be less eventful!

Auntiflo unfortunately he's put weight on. The clothes were all too small - a lot of the clothes were from when he did lose a lot of weight a few years ago and put away 'just in case he regained his svelte figure' - there comes a time when you have to realise it ain't gonna happen grin The Blue Cross were very appreciative of them anyway.

Tanith how lucky your husband was just to damage his pride and nothing else - a lovely memory indeed.

A couple of years ago in the same bedroom we had just installed bunks for our grandsons' impending Christmas visit which blocked the cupboard door at the end of them. All the decorations were in there so I managed to move the bunks out sideways enough to open it and crawled over the bottom bunk to get in it. Threw all the boxes on the bed and then realised I couldn't climb back so tried to crawl underneath where I promptly got stuck. I was laughing so much I couldn't get myself together enough to wriggle my way out until I'd calmed down blush

Urmstongran Thu 12-Sep-19 21:56:15

I’m giggling away here tanith!! Proper guffaws!
???

Urmstongran Thu 12-Sep-19 22:00:53

Reminds me (giggling already) of the time before we downsized. Had a house and garden. Husband came rushing into the kitchen (busy, busy) tripped over the top step, fell onward, hit his eyebrow on the the breakfast bar, grabbed the chrome leg - which buckled under the sudden force. Blood all over the show (head wounds pump blood don’t they?). Steristrips at A&E.

Next day 2 black eyes and a gash that was held together with the strips... he looked like he’d gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson.

Urmstongran Thu 12-Sep-19 22:01:51

P.s. we don’t call him Frank (Spencer) for nothing.

tanith Thu 12-Sep-19 22:05:52

Oh dear just laughed out loud at both of your posts, I’d of loved to of been a fly on the wall at both occurrences ??

BradfordLass72 Fri 13-Sep-19 00:31:46

Willow I once got stuck under a bed as you did.
I was playing hide and seek with my sons and decided a good place would be under the bed, which was tight against a wall, so shuffled right under and waited.

When they found me, the back of my t-shirt had caught on the old springs and held fast.
I had to wriggle out of the t-shirt and with a boy pulling on each arm, managed to emerge, hoping my bra wouldn't catch the same way.

Margs Fri 13-Sep-19 10:54:39

Well, you didn't have to actually wake him - the collapsing bed did the job for you!

Riggie Fri 13-Sep-19 11:11:22

I shouldnt laugh....I'm sure that its only the boxes of stuff under our bed that are keeping our ancient bed frame from collapsing!!

inishowen Fri 13-Sep-19 11:11:22

When my husband and I were boyfriend and girlfriend my parents made him sleep on a camp bed in the spare room when he stayed. There would be a thump in the middle of the night as the bed would collapse. Poor lad.

discodiva Fri 13-Sep-19 11:36:26

Laugh. I couldn't stop laughing. So typical of a man not to move. In fact I would've been laughing at him on the bed.

Flowerofthewest Fri 13-Sep-19 14:03:07

Not only our men.
I spend me time in a beach hut on the Suffolk Coast.
Loos are a good 10 mins away across a wooden bridge.
So....We use a night bucket.
I felt the need about 2am. Quietly (my friend was sleeping) I pulled my pj trousers down...shoved the bucket in place (still standing) bobbed. ..had a wee then went to lift the bucket out. It caught on the waist of my pjs which was round my knees. My feet were lifted off the ground. I fell backwards hitting my head on a table. Contents flew across hut. I lay on my back clutching a sheet of Andrex screeching with laughter...legs in the air. Thank goodness it was in the dark.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 13-Sep-19 14:06:14

Has conjured up some wondrous scenes in my imagination. To add to the guffaws, I once sat on one of our elderly camp chairs, the material gave up the ghost and I was wedged in/folded up in the chair, my ample arse touching the floor, my arms and legs pointing skyward. Were my son and husband concerned, helpful or worried? Absolutely not, the pair of little gits just ran off to get a camera and then proceeded to take pictures .....

TrendyNannie6 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:11:39

Hahaha hilarious hope he was ok

Hatpev Fri 13-Sep-19 15:03:33

We were doing the housework the other day. Husband was in spare room where we keep the ironing board set up and I was hoovering hallway. Incredible crashing noise and I rushed up to find the iron in the doorway spilling water everywhere and my husband on his hands and knees with the ironing board on his back. I did manage to keep a straight face and help him up. Unlike the time he opened a cupboard and a nearly full bag of flour fell on his head. ?

sharon103 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:04:05

I'm having a chuckle here at these posts. Sooo funny. grin

Juliet27 Fri 13-Sep-19 15:24:09

How funny Flower but I'm not sure I really want to imagine the sight. As you say - good job it was dark!!

Esmerelda Fri 13-Sep-19 16:09:04

??????????

Barmeyoldbat Fri 13-Sep-19 18:50:41

At least he didn't wake you up.

4allweknow Fri 13-Sep-19 23:51:57

I would definitely have laughed!