Gransnet forums

Chat

Gossip

(254 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:26:13

Today in Guildford, I was reminded if a thread a while back re persons who are fat/overweight.
I was beyond shocked to see 4 simply huge men and similar women, at different times, none of whom were together and all of whom were truly enormous.
I would find it unbelievable if all 5 were to fall back on the 'I'm diabetic' excuse.
The idea that people can let themselves get into that state and keep eating (as 2 of them were) is very sad indeed and then they moan that they can't fit into bus or airline seats and can't work because of A, B, C or D.
Are there no answers to obesity because there were also some seriously overweight men whose man boobs and bellies hung pendulously over their trousers.

On another note.
I had an appointment at Virgin Money in Guildford.
On arrival I was immediately greeted by a beautifully turned out advisor who offered me tea, coffee, biscuits...?? and showed me to the several sumptuous velvet armchairs and settees piled high with velvet cushions.
The 60" tv was showing the BBC afternoon news and weather and my drink was placed on a coaster on a glass table.
A man with a hi-viz vest was lounging on a swivel chair opposite, dunking biscuits in his tea and reading a newspaper.
At one end of the room was a fully kitted out kitchen with a white modern dining table and chairs and a 'rest room' with M&F loos situated on an adjacent corridor.
The ceiling lights were enormous with plush red, gold and black drum shades inset with circular mirrors which reflected the floor areas.

I completed my business seated on a red velvet banquette with a top spec Mac pc suspended from the ceiling which could be pulled down and angled to suit the advisor.
When I left, she invited me to drop in any time I'm in town to take refreshment and read, watch tv chill out.
This begs the question where does the money to support this, come from?
I don't even bank with them, mind you, the furniture was utterly luxurious. ?

seacliff Sun 15-Sep-19 18:16:43

Thanks Jane, it was very good to see the link, thankyou for posting it. I had no idea he had done that. Yes it made me cry to hear someone so in the public eye, expressing some of what I feel, in such a public, but humorous way. Our GP surgery is ay crisis point, so many doctors have left or are off long term sick. Thanks again.

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 18:46:47

I loved what James Cordon said and found it very funny. I also read the replies to it as well and it gave good for thought. I am glad Seacliffyou were able to see the humour in it. I wish you well and hope you feel better.flowers

rafichagran Sun 15-Sep-19 18:47:56

Food for thought.