Gransnet forums

Chat

Gossip

(254 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:26:13

Today in Guildford, I was reminded if a thread a while back re persons who are fat/overweight.
I was beyond shocked to see 4 simply huge men and similar women, at different times, none of whom were together and all of whom were truly enormous.
I would find it unbelievable if all 5 were to fall back on the 'I'm diabetic' excuse.
The idea that people can let themselves get into that state and keep eating (as 2 of them were) is very sad indeed and then they moan that they can't fit into bus or airline seats and can't work because of A, B, C or D.
Are there no answers to obesity because there were also some seriously overweight men whose man boobs and bellies hung pendulously over their trousers.

On another note.
I had an appointment at Virgin Money in Guildford.
On arrival I was immediately greeted by a beautifully turned out advisor who offered me tea, coffee, biscuits...?? and showed me to the several sumptuous velvet armchairs and settees piled high with velvet cushions.
The 60" tv was showing the BBC afternoon news and weather and my drink was placed on a coaster on a glass table.
A man with a hi-viz vest was lounging on a swivel chair opposite, dunking biscuits in his tea and reading a newspaper.
At one end of the room was a fully kitted out kitchen with a white modern dining table and chairs and a 'rest room' with M&F loos situated on an adjacent corridor.
The ceiling lights were enormous with plush red, gold and black drum shades inset with circular mirrors which reflected the floor areas.

I completed my business seated on a red velvet banquette with a top spec Mac pc suspended from the ceiling which could be pulled down and angled to suit the advisor.
When I left, she invited me to drop in any time I'm in town to take refreshment and read, watch tv chill out.
This begs the question where does the money to support this, come from?
I don't even bank with them, mind you, the furniture was utterly luxurious. ?

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:46:38

Oh how could we not know obesity is on the rise, with wonderfully, kind and compassionate people like Gabriella and her ilk to readily inform us all. Oh and they are trying to do us all a big favour as we are so thick we dont know this.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Sep-19 22:49:26

That’s not the way open forums work. If you start threads which are rude or offensive then you have to be prepared to be challenged and called to account.

GagaJo Thu 12-Sep-19 22:49:41

I won't say what I really think GG54, because you are just a name on the internet, not someone I come into contact with IRL.

I repeat. I think you should get a life. I may not know you, but I'd put VERY good money on my lovely fat friend contributing 99% more than you.

So negative.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 22:50:29

"She only does it to annoy,
Because she knows it teases".

Acknowledgments to Lewis Carroll.

GagaJo Thu 12-Sep-19 22:55:26

Nasty for nastiness' sake. FFS.

Namsnanny Thu 12-Sep-19 23:10:00

Bit bored with the TV tonight Gabby?

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:17:55

Could be, SirChenjin but I doubt it.
Greggs or...Greggs.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:19:30

I haven't had the tv on for more than a week.
Does knowing that fact sit well with you?

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:20:23

My name isn't Gabby either.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:26:26

So what if your lovely fat friend makes a bigger contribution to society.
Are you on the judging panel?
How about a poll of all GNers to pit their good deeds against those of your lovely fat friend and see who takes the prize?
Does giving money count. You be the judge as you're suited to the task.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:31:06

So now it's rude and offensive to state facts. ?
Tell that to the tv news channels. Do not show rear pics of overweight people in their news items and do not mention obesity on any programmes about health.

GagaJo Thu 12-Sep-19 23:31:19

There are givers and takers in life. My friend gives freely and is loved widely.

You'd just see 'fat'.

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:32:32

I rarely come back to threads of this overtly nasty nature but I will add a few things.

Supposing the amount of exercise you need to take (given that you eat a normal, healthy diet) is physically more than you (or indeed anyone not training for the military!) can manage before it results in weight loss?

Supposing the amount of food you eat, has to be cut to unsustainably low levels before you can lose weight?

Supposing your mother dieted when she was pregnant and changed your genes in the womb so that you gained weight faster on less than average amounts of food once you were born?

These any many other reason why people become and remain fat are well documented and have beeb for decades.

Greedy people come in all shapes and sizes - includig very thin.

Being thin does not equate with being healthy. Far from it - the hospitals and doctor's waiting rooms are packed full of thin people.

Some fat people eat a lot. Their bigger bodied need more fuel, that's not rocket science either.

Some thin people eat a lot - there ae good reasons for that too - anxiety being just one.

Some thin people can eat 4 times more than a fat person and not gain weight.

Some thin people honestly believe they are slender because they exercise and don't overeat, or indulge in what they really want to eat - presumably packets of chocolate biscuits and pies and cream cakes.

No, I'm not assuming actually, I've been told numerous times, 'If I ate what I wanted I'd be as fat as you.'

I can only throw up my hands in despair at this last group and suggest they read up on geneticds and metabolism.

Amagran Thu 12-Sep-19 23:55:32

It is generally accepted by both experts supporting addicts, and the wider public, that the reasons why some people become self-destructively addicted to drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling etc., are complex and that addiction is a disease which needs to be treated.

What I don't understand is why there appears to be a trend in society to marginalise people with the aforementioned addictions, but to attempt to normalise what can be an equally self-destructive addiction to food.

I am not judging anyone, I am just genuinely puzzled.

GagaJo Fri 13-Sep-19 00:00:22

There are worse things to be than fat. Unkind. Cruel. Greedy. Selfish. Arrogant. Lazy.

paddyann Fri 13-Sep-19 01:36:45

my lovely daughter has a heart of gold,she's a wonderful mother to her three children and a great asset to her community .Since she became ill with fibromyalgia anf hyper joint mobility syndrom and was put on 20 pills a day plus a morpine pump for bad days ,she has gone from a size 12 to a 22 .If I bellieved people were all as judgemental about her as you are about overweight it would make me so angry. Thankfully the people in her life and community still realise that the woman who used to run abot and get everything done in jig time is still there ,under the pain and under the "fat" I hope none of your children ever has to go through what she does on a daily basis nor be gossiped about for things that are out of their control .

Namsnanny Fri 13-Sep-19 02:35:16

Hmmmm Gabbs, stranger and stranger!
No tv you say, for a week?

You must keep an eye on this lack of stimulus.

You sensitive creatures with time on your hands are inclined to start over obsessing.

Are you sure you actually saw FIVE, overweight, fat, obese, SIMPLY huge and TRULY enormous people?

Its well known the effects of boredom on the sensitive types brain.
It's a bit like an alcoholic going through withdrawal.
They see pink elephants, bored sensitives see fat people!

They also suffer from an overinflated sense of their own importance.
Which constantly leads to loneliness, because they truly expect others to listen to their narcissistic negativity.

Unfortunately they often find people huddling in corners giggling at the pomposity these poor souls pour out at every opportunity.

But never fear, we at GN will give up our spare time to entertain you and give you plenty of interesting and exciting posts to argue with.

No, no don't Thank us. Your a deserving case.

BradfordLass72 Fri 13-Sep-19 02:42:22

paddyann My heart goes out to your dear daughter,
Fibromyalgia and hyper joint mobility syndrome is such a hard conditions to cope with and 20 pills a day must be dreadful. Poor love.

I know I harp on about alternative remedies but I wonder if she's tried any, they do help a lot of people.

If you'd like me to do some research on what's been known to help, PM me, I'm only too happy to do that.

SirChenjin Fri 13-Sep-19 07:44:29

Gabriella - you’re making less and less sense. Were you drunk when you started this thread last night?

GabriellaG54 Fri 13-Sep-19 08:17:13

SirChenjin
I don't drink alcohol.

GabriellaG54 Fri 13-Sep-19 08:34:38

It's odd that people are only replying to the first part of my originsl post.
It was merely an observation as I passed through town. I won't have been the only one to have those thoughts but a great many on here have rushed to the defence of the overweight community without giving any credence to the facts that are plastered over ads, the news and social media, that many are eating their way into ill health, immobility, and are a growing concern for the NHS.
I agree that for some it's due to medical issues but to dismiss the idea that it's also (but not always) a case of eating for eating's sake, is to reject reality.
Why you choose to portray me as the villain of the piece is neither here nor there, I was merely stating an observation. People are getting fatter and that's an irrefutable fact.
Are they all on meds or born with fat retaining genes? I doubt it but that's just my opinion.

SirChenjin Fri 13-Sep-19 08:47:59

In which case, I can only assume that you were simply being very rude. Why did you feel the need to be so derogatory, I wonder? Why do you feel the need to question whether they're on meds or have fat retaining genes? There are any number of studies on why people are getting fatter that you could look up if you're genuinely interested in the science behind it, rather than simply being goady on Gransnet and then presenting yourself as some sort of victim.

sodapop Fri 13-Sep-19 08:54:39

It is true that there are a lot of obese people around now, an inescapable fact.
However there are many reasons for this not just greed or bad dietary choices. We shouldn't judge people until we know all the facts.
I hold my hands up and say I am overweight because I eat too much chocolate and I am trying to reduce my consumption. Why does fruit not have the same appeal for me as that lovely bar of dark choc.

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Sep-19 08:58:01

You are unbelievable Gabriella, in the sense that you don't see anything offensive about your original post. Yes,we all know obesity or being overweight etc can cause health issues and other people on here have posted such. As it is, I think you have deeply offended others with your judgement of complete strangers and the way you have described these people you observed. I am now finished on this thread. I will say one last thing. Gabriella, if you do not think before you speak and I hope you never, ever speak like this to anyone. You are going to end up a very lonely person. So think on. Of course we can all debate or have opinions and yes everyone is entitled to an opinion, but tact is needed. I suggest you read Paddyann's post and then, go back and re-read your own and have a think to yourself. I really hope no one close to you ever struggles with their weight as I don't think they would get much in the way of understanding or compassion. Good luck as I think you will need it. Folk tend to avoid people who use such language about others, it says far more about you, than it does about the people you were 'observing' as you put it.

NanTheWiser Fri 13-Sep-19 09:38:05

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"

I'll just leave that there.....