Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost 2 stone but it doesn't show! (lighthearted moan)

(64 Posts)
giulia Mon 16-Sep-19 13:16:24

Over the past year, I've managed to drop from over 80 kg to under 69 - almost two stone.

You'd think I'd have something to show for it but NO! One notch down on my belt but am still XLL size.

Nobody seems to have noticed either -my daughter finally noticed last week. I've been 68k+ for a couple of months now. I am 1.73 tall and this is the upper part of normal for my height.

Where did it go? I suppose on my upper arms and thighs and my backside. My face is a little thinner too, but that's it.

Am rather disappointed. Think I'll stuff my face with cream cakes to console myself.

Have you found dieting to be disappointing?

Legs55 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:37:03

2 years ago I lost about 2 1/2 stone as I had been in Hospital & they stopped my Diabetic medication, I felt great but I looked haggard & didn't lose anything around my middle as I have an umbilical hernia.

At my annual diabetic check my diabetes had shot almost off the scale resulting in a new regime of diabetic medication & the weight has gone back on, no change to my diet & I've lost the extra energy I had when I was losing the weight.

giulia Tue 17-Sep-19 19:14:54

Kim19 Thank you!

SunnySusie Tue 17-Sep-19 19:56:52

Brilliant weight loss giulia. If I have calculated it correctly you have gone from a BMI in the obese range to one in the middle of the normal range and that is a real achievement for your health.

Tangerine Tue 17-Sep-19 20:00:49

I think you lose weight in places where you don't necessarily want to lose weight. I'd like a smaller stomach but end up with thinner fingers (rings twizzle round) and a thinner face.

Musicgirl Tue 17-Sep-19 20:22:20

Jane10 I'd love thinner thighs. I think we all want what we can't have. Whenever l lose weight my lower half stubbornly refuses to join in. On the plus side, my waist does show a loss.

Authoress Tue 17-Sep-19 20:29:02

You need to tone now :P

Grandmama Tue 17-Sep-19 20:38:31

I've been within the weight range for my height for some time but in the last couple of months have lost a few more pounds and am only very slightly heavier than when I got married 40 years ago (now 5'1"/8st 2lb). Recently someone has commented a couple of times on my weight loss which I didn't think was noticeable. But can anyone tell me how to reduce my tummy - it expands below my tummy button - or my thighs? They wobble when I walk - and I walk miles, not having a car any more.

Solonge Tue 17-Sep-19 21:08:13

Its healthier to be under weight than overweight. Its also a lot harder unless you are naturally slim. Sometimes as people get older they exercise less and that promotes weight gain. Taking up exercise will help weight control as the more you jog, ride a bike, swim or work out in the gym, the more likely you are to wish to lose weight, its a lot more comfy being a healthy weight than carrying excess.

chrissyh Tue 17-Sep-19 22:14:36

I lost 2 stone when my son got married. Although it didn't make a great deal of difference to the way I looked, my dodgy knee miraculously got better and has stayed that way so that, at least, was worth it.

4allweknow Tue 17-Sep-19 23:42:08

Three years ago I did the same, lost 2 stone, one hole less on the belt but not even one size smaller. Have read stories about dieters coming down a size for every half stone they lost. And I am not xxl, I am a 14.

Callistemon Wed 18-Sep-19 00:47:34

Solonge if one had a choice then I think that it is probably better to be slightly overweight than underweight - an illness can result in rapid weight loss and being underweight to start with means there is no small reserve to fall back on.

Sheilagh Wed 18-Sep-19 18:20:24

I’m always trying to lose weight, losing three inches in height hasn’t helped, I noticed recently that on seeing my reflection in my black shiny fridge freezer I look a lot taller therefore much slimmer, it has been an incentive not to open the fridge door, doesn’t always work of course but it helps.

Musicgirl Wed 18-Sep-19 20:10:26

Solange, studies have proved what l have instinctively felt for a long time that is, in fact, better to be slightly overweight than underweight as we get older. It means that we have something to fall back on in times of illness.