Gransnet forums

Chat

Scarves, what is it about them..?

(142 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 17:37:52

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

OPgrndtr Wed 18-Sep-19 21:00:24

I have many various scarves, also! I am a size 18, and I wear the lighter ones to draw attention to my face and collar bones. A few years ago I was working as an AA at the Oklahoma State Legislature where they always close the session with a giant barn picnic. Jeans are required and a hat so that one looks a bit country. I wore jeans with a white blouse, but I didn't have a belt. I got out my hat and found a cotton gauzy scarf to match and wore that as a belt. The event photographer loved it, so I'm in several of the photos.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OPgrndtr Wed 18-Sep-19 21:00:25

OPgrndtr Wed 18-Sep-19 21:06:48

BradfordLass72 Wed 18-Sep-19 21:17:30

OPgrndtr No need to be - we all have experience of computer glitches! smile

I once had a gloriously long, pink crepe scarf which flowed behind me and reached almost to my feet.
It once almost did an Isadora Duncan on me.

Fortunately I was only riding a bicycle at the time grin

granjan15 Wed 18-Sep-19 22:11:32

I love Handybands from Seasalt. They are so easy and versatile.

Baloothefitz Wed 18-Sep-19 22:39:43

Oh BUFFYBEE ,that is so lovely that you still have your friends fragrance on her scarves when you wear them ,what a beautiful way of remembering her style & friendship.

seacliff Wed 18-Sep-19 22:40:40

I love scarfs, but am not sure how many I have, stashed away in various boxes. My favourites are on a scarf hanger. I must have a cull of some that I just don't love.

I like having a very casual plain top and jeans, then a thin patterned silk scarf just tied loosely round the neckline, not hanging down. It adds some colour and interest and silk keeps my neck feeling warm and cosy on a cold day, but is so light and easy to wear.

Because of this thread I am now looking on ebay.

GreenGran78 Wed 18-Sep-19 22:50:52

I have a drawer full of scarves, all given to me as gifts, and I rarely wear any of them. No matter how many 'how-to' videos I watch, I always feel uneasy and awkward in them, like a little girl wearing her Mum's clothes, or an overdressed Christmas tree.
I don't know why I'm this way, and would love to be able to wear scarves with panache, but they just never look right on me.
I really don't much like any close-fitting things around my neck, either. Polo necks are a definite No, and most of the necklaces I possess don't get worn. Even lightweight ones usually get taken off, after a while, because they irritate me.

LightAmber Thu 19-Sep-19 07:35:40

I get a lot of my scarves from Aliexpress.com - they're usually the same as the ones on eBay etc and cost far far less. Just need to wait 7/10 days or so for delivery by which time I've forgotten what I ordered and it’s like Christmas grin - I haven't paid more than £1 for any of my scarves and some were 25p! smile

Marydoll Thu 19-Sep-19 07:53:45

LightAmber, oh dear, you really shouldn't have posted that
link. grin.
I see what you mean about the low prices. However, I noticed they are in dollars, do they deliver to the UK and does that bump the price up?

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 10:04:18

LightAmber- is that site safe to use?

I assume items come from China? Do you have to pay customs on them? Are there any specific sellers you recommend? Thanks.

Marydoll Thu 19-Sep-19 15:02:19

seacliff, I've checked it out and it gets differing reviews.
Some people give it five stars and others have a bad experience.
If in doubt, trust your instinct.

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 15:51:51

Thanks Marydoll.

Jaxie Fri 20-Sep-19 15:38:07

I love scarves but they make me too hot.

sarahkhan Thu 16-Nov-23 12:55:26

Marydoll

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

Oh, the appeal of ladies scarves – I totally get it! 😄 Your Rome finds sound like a steal, and who could resist vibrant colors, right? I've got a collection that's bordering on scarf-mania too. It's like each one tells a little story. Anyone else have a weakness for those irresistible, colorful wraps? Let's share our scarf tales! 🧣💖😊

Witzend Thu 16-Nov-23 14:06:39

In the right colour, they just perk up whatever you’re wearing. Besides keeping your neck warm! Unless there’s a heatwave, or I’m wearing a polo neck, I always need something around mine.
Mine are all on hangers (at least 6 at a time) but I probably don’t have more than a couple of dozen, if that.

I had a lovely multicolour ‘ring’ scarf from Seasalt, but washed it, and it was destroyed completely. Still upset about that - they’ve never had another similar.