Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this virtue signalling or is it genuine consideration?

(96 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 18-Sep-19 11:56:51

Been mulling this one over for a week or so, and wondered what anyone else thought. I heard part of a programme on Radio 4, it was an 'our family' type discussion, and the guests were Jada Pinkett-Smith ( wife of Will Smith) and their daughter Willow. Jada said how proud she was of Willow for having taken vegan food to street people who were living rough. My first thought was how patronising, and surely if people are on their uppers, are starving, they are not bothered about food being vegan, then I thought, why should being homeless mean you no longer have the means or ability to make what may be ethical choices about what you eat? What does anyone else think? Is this a moral dilemma or just piffling?

Riverwalk Wed 18-Sep-19 12:06:07

I didn't hear the programme so don't know all the details - it could just be that Willow is a vegan herself and wouldn't deliver food that she wouldn't eat.

On a philosophical/ethical level I expect rough sleepers would stick to their principles or beliefs as much as they could in the circumstances.

lemongrove Wed 18-Sep-19 12:11:24

It’s piffling.It’s showing ‘right on’ ( vegan) values as expected (listening to actors/ show biz people is rarely illuminating).
If you are genuinely hungry then you will eat anything, vegan
Or otherwise, although I expect a bit of protein would do them good.

humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 12:19:23

TBH I would have thought any food would be welcome surely?

GillT57 Wed 18-Sep-19 12:25:16

I think you may be right lemon listening to showbiz people is rarely illuminating! I suppose the girl was sticking to her own beliefs by only taking vegan food to street people, but it was not clear whether she had discussed with any of them whether they shared her beliefs or whether they would be glad of anything filling and nutritious.

Daisymae Wed 18-Sep-19 12:28:31

I would say that whatever her motives that at least she's moved to take some action. All credit to her.

Riverwalk Wed 18-Sep-19 12:29:55

But they wouldn't have to share her vegan beliefs Gill to appreciate the food, assuming it was nourishing and tasty - an omnivore could eat anything.

Stansgran Wed 18-Sep-19 12:54:57

Sounds like blowing one's own trumpet. I thought good deeds should be done silently. To actors all publicity is good publicity isn't it? And surely vegan food is short of certain nutrients. Are supplements being handed out as well?

Loislovesstewie Wed 18-Sep-19 13:02:18

It's virtue signalling. It makes the giver feel really great when in actual fact they are not doing much to alleviate the issues of the homeless.
I would suggest that very rich Americans need to think that what is required is ( shock horror) a welfare state so that less people become homeless and that there is a safety net for those that do. Instead of providing a few meals, campaign for legislation to achieve that. I know our system in the UK isn't perfect but it's better than relying on charity. .

KatyK Wed 18-Sep-19 13:03:31

What is virtual signalling?

Loislovesstewie Wed 18-Sep-19 13:06:04

Conspicuous expression of moral values. Telling people about your good deed so that they all know., particularly when it makes little difference in the long run.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 13:07:17

The Pinkett-Smiths irritate me for so many reasons and this another one I’ll add to the list. Did Willow ask if there was a demand for vegan food? Is she doing work on an ongoing basis with homeless charities? I doubt it (-although if I’m wrong I apologise) as I suspect this is nothing more that virtue signalling

humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 13:09:04

It may be virtue-signalling but surely any food to however small a number of people in need is better than nothing!

KatyK Wed 18-Sep-19 13:11:03

Thanks Lois I've often wondered!

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 13:11:51

There’s a vast middle ground between vegan food (esp if they’re non vegans) and nothing though.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Sep-19 13:11:55

I don't know why the need to talk about "how proud" anyone is of this kind of thing.
Just take some food and be done with it; its not exactly a big deal, vegan or otherwise.

grapefruitpip Wed 18-Sep-19 13:14:22

Apparently, looking forward to volunteering in a charity shop is virtue signaling....who ever would have thought?

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 13:25:03

I dunno who the person mentioned in the OP is and didn't hear the interview, so hard to judge but I got to know a street sleeper quite well and I always asked her if she wanted anything to eat, and if so, what (almost always a baked spud and a cup of ginger tea).
This is probably because she was quite elderly (and totally toothless) so perhaps I was already being more respectful than if she'd been younger than me, plus wondering what would be easier for her to eat because of her toothlessness. If she'd been young I might well have just given her a sarnie without asking what she liked or even considering that she might like the freedom of choice.
The thing I feel ashamed about is that I'd never considered before knowing her that street sleepers might like to be given a choice, rather than just pathetically grateful to have something foisted upon them.

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 13:34:19

...something's just crossed my mind about this subject. George Michael was hugely generous but the countless stories of his kindness & generosity didn't emerge until he died. Lots of other celebs make sure the media know about their Good Deeds at every opportunity.

GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:37:29

I remember the book Little Women, where the March sisters and their mother 0give up their Christmas morning breakfast to a poor neighbour with children, one of whom was sick.
They trudged through snow carrying clothes and dishes, stuffed the broken windows with rags, lit a fire and dressed the baby in warm clothing then set the table with the food they'd been looking forward to eating themselves.
The poor sharing the little they have with even poorer fellow beings, is a light that shines far brighter than any rich person giving the crumbs from their table.

Dinahmo Wed 18-Sep-19 13:42:40

Not so sure that it's the celebs who tell the media. Often it's the benficiaries who spill the beans.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Sep-19 13:58:28

Call me a cynic but why are these " certain acts of kindness " always filmed/recorded ??
Genuine kindness is never recognised !!

Keeper1 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:01:42

I would have thought the fact they actually ate the vegan food showed how desperate they were.

Only joking

Beckett Wed 18-Sep-19 14:05:17

Always ask what a homeless person would like to eat. Homeless people can have allergies too.

Gaunt47 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:10:54

These sorts of disclosures by 'celebrities' usually coincide with the launch of a record or a film or a new make up range. It's why I used to love Wallace and Grommit - you never saw them littering talk shows when one of their films came out!!