Gransnet forums

Chat

Facial hair

(48 Posts)
Hildagard Wed 18-Sep-19 19:13:05

I know that this has probably been discussed before, but I have searched and can’t see it. What is the best way to remove soft downey facial hair. Grandson mentioned mine today arrgh! Note to self must address the problem. Suggestions and reviews would be welcomed

EDIT: GNHQ here. We've got a page of suggestions here on facial hair removal and another on best facial hair creams as recommended on previous threads. Hope it's helpful.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Sep-19 19:52:21

I'm booked into the Salon next week, I have it waxed every few months. It only costs a few £.

I think top lip, chin and the soft peach fuzz costs about £10.
I'm sure a salon would be happy to do just your soft downey facial hair on its own.

I have tried to do it myself with the wax strips that can be bought in the supermarket/chemist but just didn't work for me. Others do have success.

I'd recommend a Salon all the way. All done in a few minutes.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Sep-19 22:28:06

I made a thread asking for suggestions a few days ago, and was recommended the 'whizzit', which only cost around £5 from eBay.

I would say its certainly worth that, and it has taken off my peach fuzz hair (at least I can't see it anymore!)

The general consensus seems to be that tweezers are best, but the whizzit is like electric ones.

I'll find a link to them. smile

MissAdventure Wed 18-Sep-19 22:33:17

www.amazon.co.uk/Discoball%C2%AE-Womens-Removal-Epilator-Shaver/dp/B00C4QWDUS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=whizzit&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1568842253&sr=8-1

This one costs more than I paid by following the link given to me in my thread, sorry.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Sep-19 22:36:05

Sorry, back again.
Same thing but half the price, if the link works.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOMEN-ELECTRIC-EPILATOR-WIZZIT-TWEEZERS-BODY-FACIAL-HAIR-REMOVAL-REMOVER-LADIES-/333304797926?hash=item4d9a839ae6#rwid

Namsnanny Wed 18-Sep-19 23:16:46

Have you tried the wax strips MissAdventure yet?

MissAdventure Wed 18-Sep-19 23:40:31

Not yet.
I have a few stubborn broom bristles that are going to get the wax treatment.

I'm waiting until I have a day off work, in case I end up with red blotches!

Chestnut Wed 18-Sep-19 23:59:32

Basically you have a choice of three ways, pull it out (waxing or epilator), depilatory cream or shaving (quite popular I believe!).

Pulling it out is going to be painful whichever way you go, but not unbearably so. Go to a salon or check Amazon for various devices and look at the reviews.

This is a type of shaving device called Laxcare which is pain free and has good reviews. It might be good for downy hair.
www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Laxcare-Painless-Flawless-Waterproof/dp/B07B2S68LX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=laxcare&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1568847073&sr=8-1

Hildagard Thu 19-Sep-19 08:52:07

Thanks for info, willinvestigate salon treatments.

NanaMacGeek Thu 19-Sep-19 21:19:55

Is it really necessary to remove fine, downy facial hair? I use wax strips on my upper lip, tweezer the random, odd thick hair that I see occasionally but leave the blond peach fuzz alone. I have rosacea so don't want to mess with my skin. Is it really so bad to keep it? Just asking.

Thingmajig Thu 19-Sep-19 22:00:29

I bought an epilator years ago to use on the legs but I now only use it for the odd facial hairs which suddenly seem to pop up. I find it very quick, effective and lasts for weeks before I notice the wee hairs sprouting again ... hopefully before anyone else spots them!!! grin

cornergran Thu 19-Sep-19 22:21:31

I hope not nanamacgeek as I truly don’t want to start messing with mine. I don’t see it unless there is strong light from the side. Guess what I’m avoiding? smile. I am taking notice of advice on this thread though just in case I need it. A sort of insurance policy.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Sep-19 23:59:57

I've never found it necessary to remove the peach fuzz, but I do have long sideburns and a beard these days; not the most flattering look.

quizqueen Fri 20-Sep-19 00:05:41

SUGARING

MaryXYX Fri 20-Sep-19 10:23:30

I'm not bothered by fine fuzz, but I use a Braun epilator for the "not so fine" ones.

Magrithea Fri 20-Sep-19 10:23:33

If it's on cheeks then leave it alone I think. Obvious darker hair on upper lip or chin can be waxed (it only stings momentarily, honest!), bleached or removed with depilatory cream. There's also threading that you can get done in some department stores or Superdrug

Ronnie Fri 20-Sep-19 10:39:00

For the past few years I have used ‘threading’ doesn’t hurt or leave red or blotchy marks. £5 to £8 depends on how much of your face they do, I have it done from my nose to under my chin, takes 10mins, no appt necessary where I have mine done about every 6/8 weeks. They also shape eyebrows, but I don’t need that done as mine don’t grow anymore so I had those tattooed on.

dahlia08 Fri 20-Sep-19 10:46:02

Nobody mention shaving. Is it bad? It’s quick though! I think the hairs grow quickly

seadragon Fri 20-Sep-19 10:56:01

I have single hairs about 1" long which seem to appear over night and little clusters of bristles growing out of one or two moles as well. I usually clip them short with nail scissors but went for an electrolysis consultation recently. The person said they were no longer allowed to use electrolysis on moles at all and asked me if I had any single hairs on my face she could treat. I was on my way home before I realised how disinterested she was in helping me. She was the one holding the magnifying glass as I stood there feeling disappointed. I had simply forgotten to mention the random singles...which actually don't need a magnifying glass to be seen. I shall continue not wearing my glasses when I look in the mirror and only notice the furry bits when I happen to touch them anyway...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 20-Sep-19 10:59:16

I shave the fuzz and tweezer the barbed wire. Thus far I haven't grown a beard. Fingers crossed.

Jeanlizzie Fri 20-Sep-19 11:00:28

Tweepi it looks like a spring bent in half and when you run it over the hair it pulls it out at the root , hurts like hell ( or threading) but the results are long lasting .
I wouldn't go anyway with out my tweepi ,

Saggi Fri 20-Sep-19 11:06:30

Shave ladies..... it the best way AND .. it removes old skin... my skins never been better! Shave!

EthelJ Fri 20-Sep-19 11:06:41

Another recomendation for whizit type tools. I bought mine from amazon for a few pounds. There are a few different types called different things but basically they are like a small spring that you roll over your face. Since I bought mine I stopped going to the salon for waxing or threading and saved a fortune.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 20-Sep-19 11:22:07

I bought an epilator from Boots. It has several heads for face and body and also incorporates a shaver.

You do get a bit of a prickling sensation but I do it at bedtime every couple of months, finish with moisturiser and smooth as a baby's bum.

Not particularly cheap at £40 approx but cheaper in the long run than salon visits.

Megs36 Fri 20-Sep-19 11:22:29

I remember my kids saying to my mum nan you've got a whisker! Worried me when my grandchildren started studying my face closely, so wax strips from Boots and gritting my teeth has been my answer.???