Gransnet forums

Chat

Facial hair

(49 Posts)
Hildagard Wed 18-Sep-19 19:13:05

I know that this has probably been discussed before, but I have searched and can’t see it. What is the best way to remove soft downey facial hair. Grandson mentioned mine today arrgh! Note to self must address the problem. Suggestions and reviews would be welcomed

EDIT: GNHQ here. We've got a page of suggestions here on facial hair removal and another on best facial hair creams as recommended on previous threads. Hope it's helpful.

Yorkshiregirl Fri 20-Sep-19 14:17:59

Personally I don't bother about the downey hair...even babies have it. I also found that removing it makes matters worse. The hair remover creams also burn my face, which is unsightly too. Now I use tweezers only, and concentrate on the stronger darker hairs. A few every couple of days. Simple

Hetty58 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:29:38

What's wrong with soft, peach-fuzz facial hair may I ask? Isn't it just a natural part of being elderly? I can understand why people might want to remove any whiskers, though. Surely, the easiest and safest way is with tweezers.

coast35 Fri 20-Sep-19 15:55:41

I bought an ipl machine and it worked wonders. It does not work on white hair though. But under my arms and my legs never need attention now. Face pretty good too but a few white ones coming through which I just pluck with tweezers.

Arto1s Fri 20-Sep-19 17:34:00

Threading works best for me. I only need to have it done every 3 months or so.

Grannmarie Fri 20-Sep-19 17:57:43

Artols, I agree. I have threading for odd whiskers/down below my chin and along jaw line to below ears, lasts well. It doesn't leave a rawhide waxing does for me. I can catch stay hairs with illuminated tweezers between threadings, but need a big magnifying mirror to see them!

driverann Fri 20-Sep-19 17:59:22

I use veet and have done so for years on various parts of my body and always pleased with the results.

Grannmarie Fri 20-Sep-19 17:59:24

Oh my goodness, should've gone to Specsavers!! Rash, not rawhide, where did that come from??

Barmeyoldbat Fri 20-Sep-19 17:59:47

Tried everything but have always gone back to waxing its so easy and lasts about 5 or 6 weeks. I just ask her to wax away any hair she can see on my face that shouldn't be there.

Also hair growth is worse in the summer as the sun encourages growth. I have more o one side of face in the summer which I think is down to sitting in the car with the sun on that side of my face.

Janiepops Fri 20-Sep-19 17:59:49

No one has mentioned hair removing cream.
I slather it on from ears down to chin (Father Christmas!)
5 mins later,smooth as a babys proverbial!
Skin feels numb afterwards,no idea why,but that wears off by morning,but even used cream for legs ( on face),supposedly stronger,no problems.

Grannmarie Fri 20-Sep-19 18:01:02

Also, stray not stay... where's my glasses?

Stella14 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:24:12

I use tweezers (sadly on a daily basis) for the ‘rope like’ hairs, and the Veet Precision Trimmer (below) over a wider area ever couple of weeks. Does anyone else here use it?

Stella14 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:24:22

www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Sensitive-Precision-Beauty-Styler/dp/B078J39LBN/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?psc=1&s=gateway&crid=2HIW6BP3ZR1N9&keywords=hair+removal+veet&sprefix=hair+removal+veet%2Caps%2C149&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVUNJUzlYM1NFS0c0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzgwMTc5MUsyQUM4RlVKWUhJWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTgzMjgyMzJaSDU2OVJJVTNHVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1569003681&sr=8-4-spons

LondonGranny Sat 21-Sep-19 10:58:29

I too have been blessed with what my eldest calls 'chin pubes' since my menopause. I went to a threading place round the corner from my work before I retired and it wasn't painless, ditto waxing. Plucking puts my teeth on edge, hair removal cream gave me weeping sores. Shaving every other day works best for me. Cheapest too.

madmum38 Sat 21-Sep-19 21:18:08

This is what I use, no pain at as just light and safe to use on moles. rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123903497381

leyla Sat 21-Sep-19 21:27:23

Madmum does it work? On fair hairs? It’s a good price! I’ve been looking at Phillips lumea but this is a fraction of the price!

SirChenjin Sat 21-Sep-19 22:16:25

Be very very careful with hair removing cream - I ended up at the out of hours service at hospital one night with chemical burns that I had to get antibiotics for. Left it on for no more than a few minutes and oh my word - the pain! That was the stuff for sensitive skin as well shock I wrote to the company to complain but they couldn’t have been less interested.

I normally use wax for the long fuzz and tweezer the dark ones but am watching this thread with interest

lilypollen Sat 21-Sep-19 22:46:06

Interesting that electrolysis isn't mentioned. I started it due to claims to be permanent (total rubbish) and whilst I was a mug to carry on, know now that I've wasted a shed load of money. I haven't had a treatment for a year and rely on plucking, trimming with scissors and depilation.

SirChenjin Sun 22-Sep-19 09:50:35

I always thought electrolysis was for smaller areas of hair?

Chestnut Sun 22-Sep-19 12:34:36

lilypollen I think electrolysis relies on the skill and experience of the operator. It is more suitable for whiskery hairs on the face rather than downy hairs. I would never bother to treat legs or underarms as this could work out costly.
If the needle reaches the root of the hair correctly it will burn and destroy it, but if the needle is somewhat off centre the hair will be burned out but the root may survive. I'm sure there are operators who miss the root and then the hair will grow back. The Society of Electrolysis have a list of practitioners.
electrolysis.co.uk/about-electrolysis/

lilypollen Sun 22-Sep-19 17:25:40

Thanks for the link, Chestnut. You're probably right about the skill of the therapist but I've used several salons due to moving house and ended up having to go monthly.

DanniRae Mon 23-Sep-19 09:21:34

My thoughts on removing facial hair:

Threading is painful

Epilators are very painful (my daughters bought me one for my birthday - at my request - and I can't bl**dy use it!)

I pluck frequently with tweezers - looking in my 10 x magnifying mirror - you have to be brave to look in it as it quite a shock shock

I use Boots facial hair remover cream when I remember

The downy fuzz I ignore

Definitely no shaving

Good Luck! smile

Summerfly Mon 23-Sep-19 12:16:34

Laser hair removal is supposed to be good although I haven’t tried it! Apparently it gets rid of unwanted hair permanently after only a few sessions. I would seriously like to try it.

Dorita Wed 25-Sep-19 16:45:10

I use Boots facial hair (it removes fine hairs too) cream remover. I only leave it on 3 minutes though.