Gransnet forums

Chat

Fings ain't what they used to be

(58 Posts)
grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 20:42:22

is it me....or has it all happened so very quickly?

M and S hideous stuff,food all covered in garlic,people attached to small computers 24/7, the TV is dead,no point of reference anymore.

Sashabel Wed 25-Sep-19 11:29:57

I have a major problem with garlic. Don't know if it's an allergy or just intolerance, but not to put too finer point on it, it doesn't stay in my system very long and makes me feel very ill for 24 hours after eating it. It seems to be in everything now. I have to look at the ingredients of all ready meals and have found it in ridiculous things such as macaroni cheese, lamb hotpot and corned beef hash. Suffice to say, I steer well clear of a lot of ready meals and make my own from scratch (which are much nicer anyway). If we're not careful, they'll be putting it in custard and rice pudding next!!

Chaitriona Wed 25-Sep-19 11:30:08

TV I have loved recently - Killing Eve, Line of Duty, Fleabag, Derry Girls, Poldark, the Crown, finale of Orange is the new Black, War and Peace. Currently Sanditon. Could go on and on. And the joy is, you can watch these programmes at a time that suits you and you don’t have to watch the adverts. Can binge on Netflix, though that is an evil thing. I remember the boredom of my father endlessly watching boxing. And “Sunday Night at the London Palladium”. Even hearing the theme music reminds me of the boredom of Scottish Sundays and school on Monday morning.

whywhywhy Wed 25-Sep-19 11:32:29

Love M&S food, not keen on garlic, love my laptop, not keen on Christmas. Have a lovely day. X

HootyMcOwlface Wed 25-Sep-19 11:33:48

I don’t like garlic and cannot understand why people would. It makes everything taste the same - garlicky! If I’m having chicken I want to taste chicken not garlic. Yuk. grin

Rufus2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:34:40

If we don't change, we don't grow.

If we don't grow, we aren't really living.

4allweknow Wed 25-Sep-19 11:37:08

Ellanvannin How could you!!!

humptydumpty Wed 25-Sep-19 11:39:31

The inclusion of Christmas occurred somewhere upstream, not in OP - can we please leave it out!!!

Margs Wed 25-Sep-19 11:39:56

I can't believe that the overwhelming surge in I.T. in recent years has generated so much scamming, financial fraud, cheating people out of their life-savings by scumbags with no shred of a moral compass whatsoever.

The old fashioned quality known as Trust (which we have to have otherwise we'd all be at each others throats) is used and abused by those who want loadsamoney but not to work for it.

They use modern computer technology to simply avail themselves of other peoples money with a few clicks using a minimum of information and can empty a bank account in the blink of an eye.....

Makes you wonder if computers are more trouble than their worth. IMHO the advantages are far outweighed by the criminal disadvantages.

grapefruitpip Wed 25-Sep-19 11:45:47

What an interesting discussion!

Nanna 58, my early life was very regimented. Very. How bizarre that I should now almost crave this.

inishowen it wasn't a moan, more of a muse.

Sussexborn Wed 25-Sep-19 11:56:57

It has taken over 50 years but my OH has finally stopped complaining so vehemently about garlic. It’s now me complaining about chilies being added to every conceivable (and inconceivable) dish. M&S food is no longer such a treat as most other supermarkets now match them at 2/3rds of the price. We mainly cook from scratch but it’s nice to have an easy alternative now and then.

Sheilasue Wed 25-Sep-19 12:00:54

Love M&S shop with Waitrose cause I love them too.
I don’t buy ready made meals or sauces with garlic my dh can’t eat anything with garlic or for that matter spicy food.
Won’t eat spaghetti.bol. (Fussy so and so) or any pasta, which I love.
Do not want to think about Xmas till end of November beginning of December thanks. About mobile phones I was going down a moving esculator and noticed a man with his mobile texting and not looking where he was going if I hadn’t have shouted out no he would have ended up trying to get on the esculator that would have been interesting.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:16:30

Yes things ain’t what they used to be, time moves on, I feel if I don’t keep up I will be left behind, but love my iPhone iPads Netflix sky tv you name it

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:18:18

Life is a continuum, isn't it? Things change all the time and I expect it was ever thus. However, technology is flying along leaving old fogies like me in its wake.

Food in general is spicier than it used to be which isn't to my taste, the latest fashions often make me despair - but not buying them saves money!

There's good and bad in all.

sodapop Wed 25-Sep-19 12:48:38

Things do change all the time Ilovebeigecardigans I agree and have trouble keeping up with technology. Think that's partly because it doesn't interest me and partly because I am retired I don't have to keep au fait.
Living in France I really miss M&S meals /food I always enjoyed it but it may have changed now. Right now I could eat a pork pie and some of their delicious puddings. healthy eating

Keeper1 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:55:49

I understand what you mean but for me I like change. I do hope it is possible to haunt when the time comes I would love to know how things turn out grin

Nanna58 Wed 25-Sep-19 13:20:02

And, greatfruitpip, there was a man who loved order and routine like you - dear reader I married him ??☺️

Nannyxthree Wed 25-Sep-19 13:33:26

I'm just glad that M&S still exists! So many stores have gone under. Also like the ability to watch a TV programme at a time convenient to me.

If you still want a roast for Sunday lunch what's to stop you?

The things I grumble about are the loss of manners and plastic money. Paying by card for something doesn't teach anyone the value of money as handing over cash does.

Musicgirl Wed 25-Sep-19 14:28:45

I like M and S food and l will be watching Doc Martin.

gillyknits Wed 25-Sep-19 15:47:24

I hate garlic! There, I said it and now expect to be jumped on by garlic lovers.
My main complaint is that it is the ‘go to’ flavouring in everything. I think the food manufacturers lack imagination to make food tasty! I’m fully expecting it in M&S puddings soon. ?

trendygran Wed 25-Sep-19 15:48:55

Love M and S food ( but not clothes anymore) .Use my iPad and phone a lot .Usually find something worth watching on TV or use iPlayer,itv hub etc to catch up on missed programmes if nothing worth watching at the time.
Agree that children -and parents -spend too much time on phones instead of conversation. I live alone so my iPad and phone are life lines.

AllotmentLil Wed 25-Sep-19 16:28:32

Like M&S food occasionally - especially if it includes garlic! wink
Love my iPhone but was a bit shocked watching the HoC live at how many of our elected representatives were using theirs in the middle of the debate.
Looking forward to Doc Martin, like Strictly, hate Bake Off.
So probably I like some of the changes but not all.
But I do understand what you mean Grapefruit - for me there was security in the old “routines” ....

blondenana Wed 25-Sep-19 17:31:11

I love M&S the only place i can buy short enough trousers,! their food is good and not as expensive as i thought, bought 2 lovel
y rump steaks there last week, good sizes too,less than £6
I love their coffee swiss rolls,
I love garlic, don't watch a lot of TV, mostly the soaps, Gogglebox, strictly, &Britains got talent.
Also the last few weeks "Scarborough" a comedy/drama set in my home town, with beautiful scenery
Will also be watching Doc Martin
I do not watch any cookery programmes apart from James Martin, who also trained in my home town, and changed all the menus at our local hospital to more healthy ones

Blodwen1910 Wed 25-Sep-19 17:33:58

Too much garlic! How about the chilli that finds its way into so many foods sweet and savoury??

BonnieBlooming Wed 25-Sep-19 17:47:34

Actually cant see what is wrong with M&S . Love garlic, love my iPad and think there is lots on TV to watch. Also like that if you miss something you can get it on catch up. I try very hard to NOT do the "things are not what they used to be" thing . Dont want to come a cross as a grumpy old .......

Saggi Wed 25-Sep-19 17:59:28

Our M and S has been shut down ..... nowhere to buy my knickers !! There’s Primark...yuk!! Our main shopping drag now consists of charity shops ...pubs...Primark... Tesco Metro...Santander....Peacocks....and believe it or not we’re a County Town!! We have to trek to Central Milton Keynes to get knickers now!