Gransnet forums

Chat

Fings ain't what they used to be

(58 Posts)
grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 20:42:22

is it me....or has it all happened so very quickly?

M and S hideous stuff,food all covered in garlic,people attached to small computers 24/7, the TV is dead,no point of reference anymore.

grapefruitpip Wed 25-Sep-19 18:53:25

whispers........don't like Doc Martin.....

Tris68 Wed 25-Sep-19 18:59:13

Our M&S doesn't do food as its an outlet store. The only thing I buy are their leggings/jeans as they do them in short arse length! LOVE garlic, as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as too much, luckily hubby agrees! Love my phone, don't use my pad much & don't possess a kindle as I like a nice paperback (love the smell) We watch a lot of documentaries (DH loves anything medical) although atm the tv has been taken over by the bloody rugby!

Sara65 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:57:47

Don’t have Netflix or anything else only normal sky, and I don’t know how to do catch up or anything like that, but I don’t watch much anyway, and I definitely won’t be watching Doc Martin!

Love my iPhone, can’t remember the last time I opened my lap top, I’m amazed at what my little grandchildren know, I’ve often had to ask my nine year old, to sort out my computer at work.

HillyN Wed 25-Sep-19 20:11:21

I've not noticed too much garlic, perhaps because I quite like it, but I am getting quite fed up with chilli in everything! My neighbour gave me a jar of strawberry and chilli jam- what a waste of fruit as I shall have to throw it out.
Worse than that though is the current trend for putting salt in caramel. It has ruined many puddings and chocolates and even my favourite ice cream sundae.

Sara65 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:15:41

Agree Hilly

I really dislike chilli, and you’re right, it seems to get in everything.

LondonGranny Wed 25-Sep-19 21:25:28

There are things I really miss but on the whole things are so much better, food-wise. I remember when olive oil was only available in tiny bottles from the chemist for clearing earwax.
I must admit I don't buy food from M&S except for nice tins of biscuits as presents. Now I've retired I don't buy ready meals or convenience foods at all. It's a luxury to have the time to cook from scratch and to completely suit the tastes of those I'm feeding. On the other hand if I only had to feed myself and had no-one to cook for I'd probably live off toast.
My nearest M&S has stopped selling anything except food so I go into the big M&S in Victoria. Far less often than I did though as their clothes are not as good quality as when it was 'St Michaels' brand. My husband loved their shirts in particular although now he's retired he doesn't wear them as often.
Actually now I think about it I haven't bought any M&S clothing for about ten years.

Rufus2 Fri 27-Sep-19 12:36:57

What was the best thing before sliced bread!?