Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a scam?

(65 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 25-Sep-19 21:27:58

I just got a text telling me that EE have been unable to process my payment. (I paid my bill yesterday, and not without a lot of faffing around, as usual, using their automated system)

It told me to click on the link provided and fill in my details (name, address, bank card details)

Stupidly, I did click on the link but stopped dead when I saw what they wanted to know.

It must be a scam, yes? blush

I'm ashamed to say I don't know!

MamaCaz Thu 26-Sep-19 14:09:31

MissAdventure

Despite what others have suggested, I don't see how paying by DD would have made you any less vulnerable to that scam.
Suppose that you did have DD set up, and payment had been due out on or around the day you received the email, wouldn't your reaction to check by clicking on that link still have been exactly the same?

minxie Thu 26-Sep-19 14:51:23

Look at the email address, it’s usually really weird if it’s a scam

NonnaJazz Thu 26-Sep-19 14:55:08

Yes, pretty sure it is a scam. The same thing happened to me with EE last month. I ignored it but on a different laptop, I logged in to my EE account and checked my status. My bill had been paid and was up to date.....so just deleted the message. My husband gets similar ones too.

Magpie1959 Thu 26-Sep-19 15:23:45

I have had several of these from Virgin media - yes its a scam.

GabriellaG54 Thu 26-Sep-19 17:38:05

No MissAdventure
You wouldn't click on any link. You'd go to your bank app or website and check it has been taken out of your account and at what time on which day.
If it shows as a debit, do not do anything, the fault is theirs (EE)
If all your other payments go out in a timely manner without fuss, the problem lies with EE.
I was with them last year for broadband and landline and DDs went out with no fuss whatsoever.
If your payment fluctuate month to month, just ask for an e-bill and pay it straight from your banking app or online account without EE sending any link. Tell them it doesn't suit you to have a link.

GinJeannie Thu 26-Sep-19 17:40:44

While abroad last week I received a text from TSB asking me to call a certain number to discuss a payment they were concerned about. My TSB card wasn't with me but left safely at home in UK! Scam failed thank heavens

GabriellaG54 Thu 26-Sep-19 17:54:36

MissAdventure

Here's a solution.
If it's a MOBILE bill, you can ring EE mobile customer services dept and request their sort code and account number and add them as a payee on your banking app/website enabljng you to pay directly when you get the bill (I assume as an email with pdf attachment)
If it's BROADBAND and phone, you can pay monthy with your card over the phone OR set up a DD which covers your phone usage and a bit more.
Hope that helps.

newnanny Thu 26-Sep-19 18:05:35

Scams are becoming ever more convincing. They could fool even the smartest of people. There is also a scam email going around from Inland Revenue telling people they are due for a tax refund and to put details in to get automatic refund. Beware it is a SCAM. Safest way is to pay by DD. Never click on link as it can be a computer virus.

elleks Thu 26-Sep-19 19:08:11

I had a similar one from 'Virgin'. I also had one telling me my tv licence payment was overdue. I knew that one was a scam, as my Husband is 76, and until next year it's free!

dahlia Thu 26-Sep-19 19:19:38

annepl, good advise, but some crooks keep the line open so that when you re-dial they are still on the line, using a different voice to lull you into a sense of security. We all have to be so alert these days!

GreenGran78 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:05:43

I had an email today saying that my Paypal account had been limited because of 'suspicious activity.' They wanted me to click a link and enter my details to re-connect my account. No doubt, if I had done so, they would have tried to get enough information to access my account themselves.
I forwarded the email to Paypal's fraud department, then deleted it. These companies do not deal with their customers in that way.

SandraPotter Thu 26-Sep-19 20:45:00

I got that too. Not been with EE for two years!

annep1 Thu 26-Sep-19 23:28:52

I didn't know that Dahlia. Goodness it's scary.

Evie64 Sat 28-Sep-19 14:01:54

Yes, definitely a scam. I still get those old chestnuts - "My father has died in Nigeria and I need your bank account details so that I can transfer my inheritance out of the country and I'll pay you £****". Always makes me smile. How can they think people are that stupid.