Gransnet forums

Chat

usual royal family tactics

(251 Posts)
paddyann Thu 26-Sep-19 11:35:22

Lets take the plebs minds off the mess the government sin and get Lizzies name out the frame ...A WEDDING .The fools will love that and they'll be so delighted they'll forget about everything else ...even the cost of it .
REALLY!! is England so gullible ?

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 11:30:38

I'm not sure that's true - apparently other royal visits to the same area have used locally sourced vehicles, it's never been an issue.

They seem like a couple who are in complete control of their lives and have cited security reasons for travelling in certain ways - I imagine they will have been very clear that this extends to this visit and will have issued instructions to their team.

Jane10 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:42:44

My Cape Town family assure me that these vehicles are widely available for hire there. No need to import others.

Oldwoman70 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:45:54

It has been reported that no suitable vehicles were available for the tour.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 11:53:13

I read reports that there were suitable vehicles. It does seem strange that there were absolutely no vehicles they could have used in the whole of the African continent.

Oldwoman70 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:00:44

"It does seem strange that there were absolutely no vehicles they could have used in the whole of the African continent."

The African continent is huge - are you suggesting that vehicles should have been transported from North Africa to South Africa?

It is obvious that even if it was decided they should back pack around S.A. they would still be criticised.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 12:09:21

Well N Africa is still closer than the UK, isn't it.

Newquay Wed 02-Oct-19 12:54:56

What on Earth are they doing n Africa anyway? If it’s a private holiday then they do it at their own expense. To say it’s a royal visit really takes the biscuit! Bet it’s cost us a fortune while many here are really struggling as well as pubic services.

LondonGranny Wed 02-Oct-19 12:57:40

There's a thing called 'The Commonwealth'. I expect it's to do with that, especially as The Queen can't do overseas tours so easily anymore.

SirChenjin Wed 02-Oct-19 13:01:48

I wondered that too Newquay so did a quick google. According to the Telegraph it's "a programme designed to cover their favourite charitable causes and boost Britain’s relationships abroad". Make of that what you will.

Amagran Wed 02-Oct-19 13:31:22

Anniebach, "person of colour" was just one of a list of accurate descriptors I used for Meghan. It also happens to be one which she herself has used publicly to describe herself. Why did you not accuse me of using the xenophobia 'card' or any of the other 'cards' you could have picked from my list? Why choose race?

grapefruitpip Wed 02-Oct-19 13:44:51

Let's play snap with these cards?

Amagran Wed 02-Oct-19 13:57:29

grin

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 13:58:34

Because Amagran when Megan is defended by many in
tv interviews they claim she gets criticised because she is
‘A person of colour’, I really do not believe this to be true.

She is criticised as is Harry for trying to manipulate the press
and public.

Amagran Wed 02-Oct-19 14:55:43

You may well be right about that, Anniebach. There's nothing the press like better than to set public figures up (especially women) as being all-singing, all-dancing wonderful paragons of style, character etc. and then destroy them if they don't play ball with the press agenda. And of course their readers are then happy to follow like sheep.

Hey-ho, better go and make sure that no one is being too nasty to poor defenceless Johnson now... grin

Jane10 Wed 02-Oct-19 20:18:52

Oldwoman70 just Google Range Rover hire Cape Town. No problem to find local ones. So why import some so unnecessarily?
Personally, I don't care what they do to justify their luxurious lifestyle just as long as they don't preach to us about their eco friendly life.

Davidhs Thu 03-Oct-19 09:03:06

I’m sure there are plenty of 4x4s available in SA I guess the Range Rovers they were using were armored, the decision was probably made by the security services. South Africa is far from the safest place to visit and no civil servant wants injury or death on their watch.
Shipping a couple of vehicles is actually not expensive there are car transporting ships traveling that route several times a week. Capetown and back for 2 cars is not expensive in the context of a Royal tour.

Davidhs Thu 03-Oct-19 09:10:37

The cars were provided by Landrover at no cost to the tour, not much cost to LR either they would have paid about £5000 for the return trip, assuming they were returned, they may have been sent to a dealer in SA, they are apparently short of secure vehicles there!.

Oldwoman70 Thu 03-Oct-19 09:19:48

Jane10 There may be 4x4 available for hire - but they may not be sufficiently armoured. As has been said, this was done at no cost to the British public, the decision to ship the cars would not have been made by Harry and Meghan.

merlotgran Thu 03-Oct-19 09:36:04

It's not the cost, it's the carbon footprint.

merlotgran Thu 03-Oct-19 09:36:49

Do as I say, not as I do.

Oldwoman70 Thu 03-Oct-19 10:05:04

Again merlotgran I say - it would not have been their decision to ship the cars

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 10:08:16

But it could have easily been their decision not to, Oldwoman70 given that they are both so concerned about the planet....grin

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 21:06:33

Anyone know where Paddyann is. I haven't noticed any posts recently.

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 21:44:45

No, I wondered too annep
Someone suggested she could be very busy campaigning for the SNP, perhaps she'll be back after the election.

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:54:11

Thanks for replying Callistemon. That's possibly the reason.